Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need some ideas for painting this hutch
llvgal
January 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'd like to give it a more contemporary look. Note the red and gray trim in the ceiling, mahogany pillars, and ruby red drapes. The hutch is pine. Any suggestions??
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
Charcoal - definitely!
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 7:56AM
tennisanyone
For me, the top part does not suggest contemporary so if you don't need the storage space, I would remove the top hutch and add a big beautiful contempory picture with some red in it and two lamps on either side. I would paint it black and change the hardware too.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 8:03AM
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
I agree with tennis anyone, the hutch is not very modern at all, black is a better choice to blend with the table and chairs as well
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 8:05AM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
What an interesting question. Everything is the opposite of contemporary (your room plan, your drapes, area rug, table, chairs, china cabinet, light fixture) and yet you want a contemporary look through paint on the hutch. It's very unusual, but it could look quite interesting.

The first thing I'd do is paint the room something like Benjamin Moore WHITE DOWN CC-50 which would give it a more contemporary look but still with some warmth and complement the floor tiles as well as the beautiful area rug background. This will sharpen everything up.

Then I'd paint the hutch a zingy colour like GRASSHOPPER AF-415. Be aware, though, that pine is very soft and marks easily, so it might be a challenge keeping the finish pristine (and modern looking, not distressed). If this is not an heirloom piece and you would be getting rid of it otherwise, then it makes sense to experiment with it. Use a top quality paint and prime it well. Take off the hardware and do this properly. Give it a couple of weeks to cure, too, before you put anything on it or in it.

I feel it's absolutely necessary to replace that light fixture with something larger and bolder and more contemporary. I've attached some at random below without checking sizes--but they'll give you an idea of a wide range of suitable styles.

I would LOVE to see a photo of this room once it's done. Can you post one right back here or send it to me at ctaylorluce@cogeco.ca?

Pencil Arm Modern Chandelier
Sola 48 Modern Chandelier
Spark 24 Modern Chandelier
Entrelace Modern Hanging Chandelier Light
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 8:09AM
PRO
Jonathan Hress Design
I don't mind the hutch. Maybe paint the alcove it sits in a dark color. perhaps a shade from the rug. Painting furniture like this is time consuming and has to be done neatly.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 8:10AM
Carmen Collins
Paint the hutch in a beautiful grey, it is both modern and chic, I would also replace the chandelier.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 8:28AM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Really, Carmen? Grey against those walls? I don't think there's enough contrast and the tones will fight each other. The rug is an important element so the colours need to relate to it. The mandate is to create a contemporary look, and I think of grey as more Gustavian in style.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 8:31AM
Norma Sassone
I am doing my 60 yr. old Ethan Allan hutch and table in flat black as we speak, so I am going to watch this discussion closely!
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 8:45AM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Norma, consider painting the inside of the back in a contrasting colour. I'm afraid with black on black, your hutch contents might disappear, unless they're white plates (for instance) and you have a good light in that piece.

You are a brave woman! What flat black paint specifically did you choose? I would be concerned that every fingerprint will show in this when it's done. Flat paint is recommended only for ceilings and for very formal rooms where no one will be brushing by or touching the wall.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 8:49AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
first I'd not work toward 'contemporary' with a english'french style china cabinet made of PINE. I'm thinking you may just want to fun new look to the piece. I'd not paint it but rub a semi transparent glaze over the piece, in a warm gray ...there is so much brown with the table and chairs more brown will be less than best
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 8:51AM
Carmen Collins
Well, I tend to disagree, as I think if she were to paint the cabinets a darker shade of grey it would certainly give the contrast required. The rug does indeed have flecks of grey in it and there is grey trim on the ceiling. Grey is actually one of the new modern colours being used right now. It goes well with most colours. I think it would be stunning. However, if she does not wish to follow a modern trend, she could easily paint it a creamy white and darken the wall colour, or stain the hutch with deep brown, I would not however, go any further with the red. The options a endless. Thank-you for your response, I am sure she will appreciate your input.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 8:53AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
blending the table and the chairs is not a direction I would go The table and chairs should be a contrast to the cabinet......nothing matches and there is no reason they should. Which chairs at around the table the leather or the wooden back chair....I hope not the leather the others are a better choice....ooops i'm on the line here
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 8:54AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
as for the lighting i would never do a circular fixture with what you have going on ......do a long retangular fixture....dark iron or something NO SHADES
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 8:55AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
NO PAINT ........by painting the china cabinet it becomes heavier than ever ......do a glaze so that there is more than one shade/tone going on. I even thought of more than one color ...as though it had been stripped of its layers from the years of wear.......(faux finish)
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 8:58AM
Norma Sassone
Well, not to stray from llvgal's discussion, but it might help her as well, I am actually using Benjamin Moore Low Lustre metal and wood enamel, so it is not exactly "flat." but not really glossy at all. See below for my inspiration. not sure if I will go with the harlequin backdrop, but I agree about the lighter background. I have a collection of white ironstone pitcher that will be displayed, so the black might actually be ok - Maybe llvgal should consider a lighter color for the back if she does hers in charcoal, as well. Click the photo to see entire hutch.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 8:59AM
PRO
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 9:03AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
the room needs a kick! the rug is wonderful the table is fine ....I still wonder about which chairs are at the table but I suggest not the leather......with the glass on the cabinet doors I would create a simple background for the interior of the cabinets....at most I would have it painted an off white and have it fly-spec'd....any pattern will be lost once items are placed inside as the 'windows' or 'doors' as they are, are so small.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 9:04AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
dont you think a more traditional fixture is more in keeping with what is going on.....the light fixture need to ahve some weight.......and not be the main attraction here
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 9:05AM
Carmen Collins
I see your point Gary.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 9:11AM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I see what you mean, Gary, and I agree your suggestions are wonderful but llvgal said she wants a contemporary look. To me faux finishes or distressing of any kind or subtle rubbed in colour isn't contemporary. But maybe we should ask llvgal to define 'contemporary' as he/she understands it. We need more information in order to solve this design dilemma for the person who posed the question. My interpretation was that a bolder statement was asked for...
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 9:15AM
Carmen Collins
Yikes! Cynthia!
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 9:18AM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
LOL!

Well you never know... :)
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 9:20AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
where are all these contemporay fixtures being found...... they seem so glitzy and brittel
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 9:20AM
Carmen Collins
Fair enough! :)
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 9:22AM
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
I am not a huge fan of putting long linear lights over long tables (unless you are trying to show off the length of the table?), pool tables, YES, Kitchen islands, YES...dining room tables...NOT SO MUCH... when you are entering the room or sitting in the host and hostess seat you are looking at the small end of the fixture, not the prettiest view, the chandelier should look fabulous from every angle!
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 9:25AM
PRO
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 9:26AM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Nice one, Gary.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 9:27AM
tennisanyone
Besides removing the top of the hutch, my next suggestion was going to be painting the hutch a fun color. The ceiling sticks out too much and doesn't blend with anything that I can see. and I am not crazy about the white vent in the ceiling either. Maybe their is a way to bring all of it together. Right now, it has a way to go for the contemporary look she is looking for. I would start with a new rug and chandalier and then worry about the hutch.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 9:28AM
PRO
Barbara Stock Interior Design
Remember that pine has knots that need to be knocked down before you paint, or they are likely to bleed through. They will show through a stain, but that becomes part of the beauty of the piece.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 9:59AM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
By knocking down, Barbara, do you mean sanding and/or applying a special primer like shellac (or google "primer for knots") before applying a paint primer over top? Yes, good preparation is key.

By the way, I note that llvgal (the person who posed the question) has not appeared yet. This long thread is going to be a bit of a shock, no doubt. But it will be excellent to hear some feedback on our ideas...
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 10:07AM
carolannr
I don't think painting the hutch black or dark grey will do anything but dull the room. The color will look too "matchy, matchy" with the table and chair tone, yet not close enought to feel right.. I would paint it an old red color, perhaps matching what's in the rug and a tone of the drapes, taking away the brown color tone out of the room and going in a different direction which will make the room seem more traditonal than contemporary perhaps but convivial and comfortable for dining. By the time she gets back to this string, livgal will definitely have a variance of opinions.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 10:25AM
lefty47
HI -- Painting that cabinet is not going to make the room more contemporay because of it's style, and the whole room really doesn't have anything contemporay about it . The furniture has no relation to each other . The table is traditional and the hutch is more country and the chairs are too heavy , and so on. I have to say ,- I really DON"T like the ceiling with those colors , sorry . I think you could work with the table and the rug and I like the light fixture BUT it is too small and not right for that room. The chairs are too heavy and solid looking and the hutch/china cabinet is maybe better used in another room if you need . I would not paint it to have it for that room . Maybe it could be white washed and then used in a bedoom. If this was my room , I would rethink the room and ceilings color and work with the rug and table and find other chairs and a buffet and a bigger light fixture. And then these can be more contemporay.
2 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 10:26AM
janetcatherine
I would definitely keep the open back chairs, "love them" they go with the scrolled design in the area rug. Recover the seats on the chair - maybe a medium stripe or solid color (no busy print) to compliment a strong accent color in the rug. I would remove the china, and paint the back wall of the alcove a shade darker than the rest of the walls in the room. If your budget allows, build a shelf across the entire wall , 14" deep and make sure it looks substantial in thickness by adding a 3" front trim. Then add mirror, large candlesticks, wall sconces, etc. just do your "Bling Thing".
The shelf can be used when entertaining, ex: buffet style dinning, wine bar, Christmas decor etc.
Just go for it

JCA
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 10:39AM
hammermill
Here's some feedback! I just joined a few days ago and am loving this! Love the difference in opinions as it gives food for thought and that's what helps make a decision.
2 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 10:50AM
llvgal
First off, I apologize for my use of the word "contemporary" that was obviously not the word I should have used. The hutch was brought over from another home and we are trying to make it fit . I thought perhaps changing the finish might accomplish that. This is a rental and for now we are trying to work with what we've got, i.e. the much too small but beautiful Baccarat light fixture over the dining table and the funky reds. The chairs that go with the table are the wooden chairs (just used the leather when 8 seats were needed). So far I like the idea about removing the top part of the hutch although I'm afraid the bottom alone might be too small given the size of the dining table. Thought about adding a marble or granite counter on it but there are so many colors going on.....Also, like the suggestion about painting it gray. Then all I would need is the perfect piece of art on the wall. Thanks for all the feed back and keep it coming.
2 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 11:17AM
lefty47
HI -- Forgot to say before -- for a light fixture , check out Restoration Hardware -- I love the big ORB fixtures, but I am sure there is something there that would be new and modern for that room. Good ideas for furniture there too.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 11:19AM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Thanks for coming to the party llvgal. Best of luck to you in this. As it's a rental, we do understand your options are more limited. That's helpful to know.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 11:19AM
lefty47
HI - Knowing this is a rental then I understand what you are doing for now - so try to alter your hutch then by doing the base in a grey or dark grey (black?)and topping it with granite or marble. Perhaps you can match the color of the cabinate and do the wood chairs or the table ,the same You won't know unless you try. Good Luck with your plans.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 11:29AM
PRO
LM Designers
Why not paint it flat black with the inside of the doors and the exposed back in red only. Use the same red you already have.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 11:35AM
betty71
I have to say LOVE the table and the wood chairs with the scroll arms. The rug is great too! I move a lot and have learned that you can change things if you either ask first OR don't ask but be sure to put everything back to the way it was when you move out. So you could change the light fixture and then return it when you leave. The bonus to that is that you will have a nice light fixture to take that matches your decor no matter where you live.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 11:44AM
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.