Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Hudson Valley Bedroom help
missb
January 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Any ideas on what artwork for the wall behind the bed or different bed linens.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Is this a guest room, kid's room, master bedroom, or what? Will the walls remain blue?
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 9:11AM
missb
HI Carolyn! This is the Master bedroom and I am open to ideas. I painted 3 years ago and was hoping not to repaint. The only issue is this room is visible from the great room...if I keep the bedroom door open.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 3:11PM
PRO
Hi missb! We meet again! I'm fond of Restoration Hardware's quilts. I'd get a white one for your bed and plan on using it for years, adding different shams and bed runners as the whim strikes you. A bed runner is what I call a second quilt you place across the foot of the bed. Or it can be a large throw in same location.

For now, I'd like you to acquire 3 Euro shams to place upright against the headboard and wall. If that's a king bed, the 3 should cover the entire width. If it's a queen, use 2 of the three against the headboard and then center the third one in front of those two. Hide the pillows you sleep with behind these Euro shams.

The reason I'm showing you the ensemble below is that it has nice dark blue shams that look like they'd work with your blue walls that you don't want to repaint. But more importantly, the quilt also has a green stripe which will help tie it in with your living room (where I see green chairs). I want you to buy this quilt or another with both blue and green in it to put across the foot of the bed. Add a green pillow or two. Do NOT buy the fishing pillows! Any other grouping with similar colors will also work with your white RH quilt. You'll end up with not much of your white quilt showing. It's just there with about a third of it showing between the pillows at the headboard and the 2nd quilt at the foot of the bed. The pop of white is a cheerful note.

1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 3:46PM
decoenthusiaste
I don't think you can beat this beautiful simple look for your bed. Then shop for a piece of art you can fall in love with to hang above it if you still want something there.

2 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 3:57PM
missb
HI Carloyn. Yes... we do meet again. I am on a mission to get this main area done before May. What type of rug would you put with this? Simple Jute? I do like this. Ofcourse I own a quilt from pottery barn but it is off white! The white would probably pop more. Would you put a piece of art behind the bed or skip? Oh ... this is a queen size bed. Thank you1
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 4:05PM
PRO
I failed to mention that with the Euro shams against the headboard/wall, you will not need art there...not enough space. A seagrass rug would work, but try it out underfoot first. It may not please your bare feet. Off white quilt may work well.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 4:19PM
missb
Sounds Great! Thanks again! Hudson Valley Home shaping up well!
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 4:20PM
Aja Mazin
I would use the white.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 4:22PM
PRO
Missb, I suspect that PB has some really good looking blue/green patterns for spring that would work very well for your master bedroom. I just used a photo that was easily available as an illustration of the colors you might need.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 4:32PM
Aja Mazin
For your walls
2 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 4:35PM
Aja Mazin
decoenthusiaste has the perfect solution.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 4:44PM
dcer
I really love the idea of all white bedding. It would look so crisp with that pretty blue. I would hang a series of prints to add interest to the room, and layer in more shades of blue and green with pillows, throws and art. I like Aja's suggestion!
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 4:44PM
Aja Mazin
With a touch of blush!

Goldfinch and Cherry Tree, c.1834 by Katsushika Hokusai

$9.99
http://www.allposters.com/-st/Floral-Botanical-Posters_c1329_.htm
2 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 4:53PM
PRO
Well, it's always good to have alternates to think about.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 5:19PM