powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with kitchen paint color, please!
Kim H
January 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Our whole house is white - a clean slate! I would prefer to stay away from green, unless it's a gray/green. I've tossed up the idea of yellow, reds, orange, blue & grays. I have the area above the fridge that I can put a colorful planter as an accent(I love terrariums), and I was planning on making 4x4 canvas accents above the sink/stove area on the ledge with fun oils. I just need to get my palette figured out. I would like to eventually get rid of the lighting. We will not be changing the cabinets or the backsplash. The windows face due west and most days get a lot of sun. The cabinets are a honey oak and the floors are pine. Thanks in advance!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
There's so little wall space in the kitchen, and there's so much beautiful wood, that I'm hesitant to suggest a definite colour because I wouldn't want it to take away from the wood. With your chandelier and your wood floor and cabinets and doors and trim you've got an Early American vibe going on.

I'd recommend treating the walls as if they are ye olde plaster and paint them Benjamin Moore ALBESCENT OC-40. It's not far off what you have, but slightly darker and a tiny bit greyed.

Then with this beautiful sense of place, you can add your artwork and accessories. You could bring in cobalt blue and it would be stunning.
January 12, 2013 at 11:38am   
PRO
LM Designers
Paint the wood at the ceiling to match the ceiling. Right now it looks like a feature that draws your eye up and away from everything else. Get some color samples and tape them to your upper cabinets in the natural light if you can. You will be able to see what looks nice and what would be a mistake. It will be very obvious with the color of your cabinets.
January 12, 2013 at 11:58am     
patriciarhall
instead of a paint color for walls, consider painting the dining table cobalt blue and add some window treatments in a pattern with cobalt blue in the pattern. This would break up the sea of wood and still leave room for pretty accessories as Cynthia suggests.
January 12, 2013 at 12:25pm     
Kim H
Thks for the suggestions. Our kitchen table is very beat up from the kids, so maybe painting it could be an option. I like the sea of wood comment - that is exactly what it feels like!
January 12, 2013 at 1:19pm   
mmac846
I like the suggestions of using cobalt blue to cool down all the warm tones of all your beautiful wood.
January 12, 2013 at 7:14pm   
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Patricia, I love your beat-up kitchen table! LOL

If I were painting it, I would paint everything but the top, and I'd leave the top as it is, distressed with the experience of life with your family! Maybe when the kids are older, you could have the top sanded and refinished, but in the meantime, the two-tone finish would look quite nice. A natural top with a blue apron and legs would be lovely. Here's a photo, not with cobalt but you can get the idea.
January 12, 2013 at 7:56pm     
PRO
Welcome Home designs
I agree with painting your crown moulding, baseboards and all trim white, even the windows.
The picture of the kitchen I've attached has a soft yellow on the walls which complements oak quite nicely.

January 12, 2013 at 8:04pm     
PRO
Welcome Home designs
Here's an example of a kitchen with white windows. I would suggest roman shades for your kitchen as well.

January 12, 2013 at 8:06pm   
patriciarhall
Cynthia's suggestion of painting all but top of table is great!
January 13, 2013 at 6:24am   
janishill
That's so funny. I had read the first part, found the perfect paint color, hten scrolled down to see CTL painted table legs. Here's the color I picked: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/waterfall

waterfall
January 13, 2013 at 7:56am   
Kim H
Thank you all very much for you help - I really appreciate it! @Welcome Home Designs, I already had that pic saved, I really liked that look. Nice to know I'm on the right track. Will have to talk the hubby into the table project!
January 14, 2013 at 1:31pm   
jeanienej
Consider using Annie Sloan Paint to do your table. It's spendy but you can paint over everything and no prep. Plus she has some beautiful colors! I used it on my kitchen table and then waxed the top and it's held up well.
January 14, 2013 at 1:46pm