Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What to do with this mantle?
vladik
January 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This mantle is above a woodstove so the black flashing must stay. The wall above the mantle is angled backwards which rules out a painting or mirror. Any suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
lefty47
HI -- I don't see a problem with having a picture or a few (black & white photos) just sitting on the mantel and leaning back. If the pictures have glass then it could be the no-glare glass. Or having an object like a wall sculpture , something long and low that has depth to it. I am assuming you did NOT want the cost of rebiulding that top section to a straight wall which is the only other solution. If you do decide to rebox in the top , then maybe make it to match the white mantel, then that brings the height up to the ceiling . I think that would look nice.
January 12, 2013 at 9:58AM   
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
This is a beautifl fireplace surround. I would incorporate the angled walls into the overall fireplace detail. Consider creating a 3 panels with moldings and painting the wall and molding white. Your coffered ceiling is lovely and you will find that adding architectural detailing above the fireplace will transition very nicely into the ceiling coffer treatment which will also make the ceiling seem higher. Also, there is paint for wood burning stoves. You may want to consider more of a subdued grey that works with the brick joint mortar color.
January 12, 2013 at 9:58AM   
vladik
Thank you for your replies. I am going to try some black and white photos first. If that doesn't work I'll try to paint the area above the mantel white. I was afraid it would look too ominous. If I create 3 rectangular panels with mouldings, would you just center them with the coffered ceiling? I really wish I could take the woodstove out and put an insert in. The black deflector really takes away from the whole look. But I also don't want the 100+ year old would to catch on fire!
January 12, 2013 at 11:33AM   
PRO
LM Designers
You could put a decorative tile on the actual wall like behind a range that looks picture framed with different tile sizes. Look at backsplashes behind cook tops or ranges for ideas.
January 12, 2013 at 12:04PM   
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
It looks as though the beam spacing aligns with the detail on the mantle which will facilitate the layout of the panels.
January 12, 2013 at 2:10PM   
Matteo Dezigns
Keep it simple...get a high gloss white paint like the wood and paint the angled wall above the mantle. Then you can place a few items on top of the mantle on both ends...keep the center free/open.
January 13, 2013 at 12:57AM