Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Best way to refinish
Nichole Veesaert
January 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have been wanting a stand up jewelry box for my bedroom for ages. I have beautiful mahogany bedroom set (Valencia Pottery Barn Collection) and was having a really hard time finding something that was going to match. Well I got tired of waiting and managed to find this piece for about $20 on Craigslist instead. It's just over 3 foot tall. It started a light wood color and has one coat of white paint on it. I need to refinish it, but I'm not sure what to do to it. I am pretty crafty but not creative (ie. if I see it then I can replicate it pretty well, but never seem to come up with the idea on my own). Right now I'm thinking strip and restain, but thought one of you might have an incredible idea that will make it amazing!

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions :)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
carolannr
Can you tell if its wood or a combination? Sometimes these pcs are made up of different materials. For instance, the legs may be solid wood but the sides and top may be a fibreboard treated to look like wood. You wouldn't be abe to strip that. Careful examination will determine its makeup and then you can decide if you should strip it or sand and repaint in a color of your choice. I have seen some redone in a pale blue or green with cream accents that made it a Parisian accent in any bedroom.
January 12, 2013 at 10:53am   
Nichole Veesaert
Nice catch carolannr! It looks like paint or some sort of other option will be our top choice. We have a wood/synthetic mix :( Part of me wants to go dark brown paint and decoupage a pretty vintage map to it somewhere. Any thoughts or other suggestions?
January 12, 2013 at 11:01am   
carolannr
I love the map idea! One of the decorating shows showed one done with paint and wrapping paper done only the drawers. Opens a whole new direction for the pc. It will always be an accent pc so its up to you. Whatever you decide to cover it with or paint it, apply a quick spray of poly to keep it as nice as when you first finish it. You can pick that up at your local Home Depot or paint store. Good luck, I'd love to see what you come up with.
January 12, 2013 at 11:24am   
PRO
LM Designers
Great find. I wouldn't strip it you may not get all the paint out of the pores. Why not paint it a color you pick out of your bedspread?
January 12, 2013 at 12:26pm   
Nichole Veesaert
That's a great suggestion LM Designers. Unfortunately I am in the middle of changing that too. We have a monochromatic room now and I am working on changing that. Ultimately I would prefer it to be something very versatile.
January 13, 2013 at 8:31am   
suzannah48
Check out the deeper tones of taupe and gray in the Annie Sloan chalk paint...you can replicate the colors in any paint brand.
January 13, 2013 at 8:47am   
Dove Cochrane
I once covered a small desk with silver and gold leaf in a stripe pattern. It was surprisingly durable and looked fab. It had been painted an awful brown, but when the metal leaf crackled and the dark showed through it looked great.
Cheers
Dove
January 19, 2013 at 8:33am   
lilliemt
i have this piece- just sand it, prime and spray paint it. it will look fab. I painted mine silver :)
January 19, 2013 at 10:06am