Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What can I do to spruce up this room?
blondish1
January 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am thinking of doing brick vaneer to the fire place wall - not sure .... Thoughts?

Also blank walls beside fireplace and beside patio door - what to do? Or leave it?

One more - we don't want TV above fireplace, can't see it well, but room looks off balance with unit beside and blank on other - I think? Would love any ideas please
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
carolannr
I would move tv to other side of fireplace perhaps in an entertainment unit built to hold all its accoutrement and put a bookself on the small wall of the other side. I don't think you want to do brick veneer - its messy and doesn't look as good as it sounds.. I realize that the depth of the spaces on each side of the fireplace may not be deep enough to actually build in shelves and storage but by moving the sofa to the other side of the room you will balance the room and still have space to get to the patio door.
January 12, 2013 at 11:05am     
PRO
Jo Cook Interior Design
I think that if you paint the walls a different color, this might do it for you. Select a paint color that works off the yellow,peach/orange color from your floral picture about the couch. (don't go too dark) You will be surprised what a difference that will make! Good luck!
January 12, 2013 at 11:13am   
PRO
The Drapery Company
Blondish1, you have a blank slate here, so have some fun and don't be shy!

To balance out the TV unit add three 10" floating shelves (in wood tone) with accessories/books etc. See link: http://www.touchofclass.com/product.aspx?p=A889-001&code=GMZ04
to the left of the fireplace.

Change out the rug to a solid color to give you more pop - burnt orange, red, or a very soft green. (home depot or Lowes)

Add a valance to the slider and couch pillows to match. (look at your artwork and chose colors there to coordinate - valacne could be a pattern)
www.designityourselfvalances.com

Happy Designing!
January 12, 2013 at 11:14am   
abbshel
I agree with moving the TV to the left of the fireplace and rearranging your furniture to work around that. Then, you won't be looking towards the sun while watching TV and I also think that spot to the left is just better suited for the TV.
Instead of a brick veneer, what about painting the fireplace wall an accent color?
January 12, 2013 at 11:16am     
blondish1
If I move the TV where do I put furniture ? Adding a few other pics so you see what I am working with. Tried to take them for place suggested for TV.
January 12, 2013 at 11:26am   
goldsavings
Hi,, I would move the tv beside the patio door, on the right side,, then position the small couch by the railing, the other along the long wall, which would open up the room,, then add in some colorful cushions,,
January 12, 2013 at 12:25pm   
tennisanyone
You have such a nice room with many great features, beautiful floors, handrails, very open, however, I am more bothered by the desk then by the tv. I feel like you come down the stairs, check in with the receptionist, who then looks at the clock and then you take a seat in the waiting room. Can you move that desk out? I would remove that hanging mirror. Reflects nothing but the desk. I might just get two chairs for either side of the fireplace and/or do two matching bookcases and then reverse the room and put the tv in a nice big and long cabinet where the desk is now. Remove the love seat and then at some point, get a sectional with the lounge part on the right side. To answer your question, I love your fireplace and would not change it. It is the other things in the room that will set the tone in how the room functions and looks.
January 12, 2013 at 12:31pm   
movethisnotthat
here is an idea to try also, moving the TV to the left of the fireplace, reorient the rug to the diagonal with the love seat pulled back closer to where the railing and desk are. sofa table with lamp, move the clock, add another matching table to the right side of the fireplace, "same" as one with TV. The fireplace is pretty, by adding 2 matching "chests" to either side of the fireplace ,with the other lamp, you would create a look of designed entertainment center around the fireplace. If you add anything do more of the same wood and mill work and crown molding to the room. Can't hurt to try...right ?? enjoy. can't wait to see more pictures as you go.
January 12, 2013 at 1:28pm   
caricampbell
Have you ever tried putting your TV on the wall where your couch is, and then putting your couch across from the TV? Would you have enough room to walk behind the couch to get to the door? Or are you married to having the couches face the door (I certainly understand if this is the case. I would prefer to face the outside). Otherwise, have you tried putting the TV to the right of the door, moving the seating and rug further to the right to center in front of the TV, and moving the desk, maybe diagonally in the corner to the left of the fireplace? It is hard for me to see how much room you have. Just play with it!

Regarding painting- do you like the color of your room? Do you want more color? First decide what you are going to do with the fireplace. You could do a stone veneer which I think could be modern and look good, but while I don't care for accent walls, I think the idea of painting the fireplace area a different color would look good here, since the fireplace area is offset from the rest of the wall. Maybe a light gray taupe on all the walls but paint the fireplace wall a complimentary color, either lighter or darker depending on how much light your living room gets and how dark you go with the walls.

Also, I think molding around the ceiling would look good and finish the room.

Definitely add window treatments. I think drapes are a must.

I don't want to overwhelm you, but add a couple more items to the mantle. Your candlestick looks lonely! Group in odd numbers.
January 12, 2013 at 1:55pm   
sophiewall13
To spice up this room I would add some bright cushions, flowers ( real or fake ones) , lamps, rugs and some lovely curtains
April 15, 2014 at 11:09am