Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What to do with this fireplace??
Bridgett Simon
January 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Our house was built in 1959 & this fireplace is in our living room. We built the section of drywall over the brick to mount our TV too and to hide all the wires in, and we want to leave that how it is (except we're open to repainting it). Obviously the brass has to go, but since the fireplace itself it elevated about a foot off the ground finding a new frame for it without building a hearth seems difficult. I like the original slate flooring so I don't really want to build a hearth and get rid of it. Ideally I would love to convert the fireplace to gas, but that's not in the budget right now. Any low(ish) cost remodel ideas are welcome! We're handy, so we can do a lot ourselves. Thanks so much everyone!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
herdfan05
You could at least spray paint the brass black, with the right finish it could look very nice. Paint that dry wall at the bare minimum.
January 12, 2013 at 12:45pm   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I would tear out the hearth and drywall and start over, tiling over the whole wall and hearth. And of course get rid of the brass. Modern House Barton Creek Residence
January 12, 2013 at 12:48pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Don't paint the drywall it looks great white. Cover the brick with some rough cut stone (see attached photo) but you do need to change the brass and cover the slate.
Dakota Fireplace
Kitsilano
Family Room
January 12, 2013 at 12:51pm     
onthefence
I feel your pain. We have that same brick and it feels a little lifeless to me. I really like the large format tiles that Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design posted.
January 12, 2013 at 1:02pm   
jansseninteriors
I once had a very similar fireplace, and shown here was the simple fix (wall paint, roller, black spray paint for the brass screen) http://jansseninteriors.blogspot.com/2011/07/updating-fireplace-and-painting-brick.html Took about an hour and cost almost nothing.
January 12, 2013 at 1:21pm   
wmpj
If you spray paint the brass, make sure you use a paint made for high heat.
January 12, 2013 at 3:09pm   
PRO
Bakersfield Carpentry
I work with this scenario often. Photo below shows a job I built for a client where the design required developing a sense of symmetry while also dealing with the uneven spaces on each side of the fireplace.

For your job I'd recommend
Phase 1-
1) Flat black over the brass

2) New granite (or slate to match floor) over the brick on all 4 sides of the firebox. 10-12" wide

3) New painted wood mantel mounted over new stonework

4) Miscellaneous woodwork to cover all brick below the height of the mantel top.

5) Narrow bookcase to the left of the mantel (depth of all woodwork needs to be considered here to meet fire codes)

Phase 2
1) Continue framing and drywall above and below existing drywall area as necessary
2) Lower TV
3) Add additional woodwork and molding details i.e. crown and picture frame molding
January 12, 2013 at 4:01pm     
John Seiffert
I think Interior International brought forth the pudding... And the proof.
January 12, 2013 at 5:30pm   
PRO
Olde World Artisans
Another option would be to plaster over the brick with lime plaster
January 12, 2013 at 6:20pm     
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.