Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
fireplace idea needed
Betsy
January 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Our fireplace is a blank slate. Installed a new gas unit 2 feet off the floor to accommodate a hearth. Room is only 13 feet wide, so nothing too massive will fit. Any ideas?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Search fireplaces on this sight you will find your answer. I have seen so many I love it is amazing. I even found one that was near perfect for a fireplace that was so oddly placed I didn't think it was possible thet there could be another like it.
January 12, 2013 at 1:02PM   
PRO
Olde World Artisans
I would set then new unit out from the wall and build a surround to set it apart Fom the walls al accent it. Then either use a faux stone or brick surround or a contrasting lime plaster.
January 13, 2013 at 6:38AM   
collettec
One option to consider would be to go with what appears to be the existing "footprint" visible from the previous fireplace placement. I would use a black tile, perhaps marble for where the darker part is - not sure if it's brick. I would do a hearth that is also black marble on the floor with the existing footprint and do a wood surround and mantel where it appears there was one before.
January 14, 2013 at 8:27AM   
Betsy
Unfortunely we have already installed the new gas fireplace and it is flush with the wall. I'm bummed we didn't build out to accommodate bookshelves and a more interesting look.
January 20, 2013 at 7:27PM   
calikym
Fireplace is fine on the wall! Just pick a mantel and hearth that protrudes the way you want it. The fireplace usually is flush to the wall anyway. Your all good. Just go pick what you like - search on mantels and then pick your room style. I wouldn't put a big mantel or hearth on this since your room is small, plus it will leave more room for your shelves. R u planning on TV above fireplace?
January 20, 2013 at 7:32PM   
PRO
JWinteriors
Black galaxy around fire surround..decorative wood trim pieces run up the sides to the large mantle..wood panel above mantel which would hold the TV. You can still do built ins 12" deep on either side to frame in fireplace. Decide this before you do mantel, as you will be bevel cutting or straight cut ting the ends
January 20, 2013 at 7:54PM   
Demogrl
What style are you looking for? Will you be mounting a TV above fireplace?
Will it be the statement in that room?
January 20, 2013 at 8:01PM   
Shelley Gartside
What style are you going to do? If modern....larger tile like 9x12 placed vertically to the ceiling and no mantel. Paint the walls about the same color and put up open shelving in a sleek modern finish. More country? Use stone or veneer type stone or stone tile to the ceiling. Put a decent size mantel in and up the sides then build in shelving to surround the fireplace.
January 20, 2013 at 8:26PM   
collettec
Just wanted to add that you don't need to have built out or up to add built in shelving or a larger surround to the new fireplace. And really you can do it in any color or type of tile. I would definitely look through Houzz photos under fireplaces to give you ideas. Here's one that has built in bookcases to either side with the fireplace inset flush to the wall and the hearth on the floor as an example. But it really can be anything you want. I would look through Houzz for inspiration, and check sources of stone and tile as well to decide what you want, since there are so many options.

January 21, 2013 at 7:26AM