Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
kitchen remodel
Vanessa Giannamore
January 12, 2013 in Before & After
We bought a foreclosure house in July, moved in in August and have been totally remodeling/decorating. We just finished the kitchen and I am very happy with it. I used Annie Sloan chalk paint and waxes on all the cabinets, we bought stock to match as closely as possible to the few original remaining cabinets. My husband did all the tile and finish work, the only thing contracted out was the granite counter tops. Total cost with appliances was less than $10k
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
angryredhead
Impressive!
January 12, 2013 at 6:55PM     
eridani99
Wow, that is lovely!
January 12, 2013 at 8:49PM     
Vanessa Giannamore
thanks!
January 13, 2013 at 8:06AM   
PRO
Dytecture
Nice update without adding more square footage.
January 14, 2013 at 7:32AM     
PRO
Reico Kitchen & Bath
Well done! Enjoy!
January 14, 2013 at 12:26PM     
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
You two work well together! You've done a remarkable job!
January 14, 2013 at 1:07PM     
kimberlya
Very nice!
January 14, 2013 at 5:15PM     
hanksnow
did you hand strip the cabinets or just paint over in cream and antique it or what was the method used thanks
January 14, 2013 at 7:52PM     
mmers
It's wonderful - you two did a great job.
January 14, 2013 at 10:59PM     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
looks great
January 15, 2013 at 8:36AM     
PRO
Rustica Hardware
Nice!
January 15, 2013 at 10:21AM     
Vanessa Giannamore
I lightly sanded all the cabinets, the old varnished and the new unfinished cabinets, then put a base coat of off white primer on all of them. Normally I would have just painted on the Annie Sloan chalk paint, but because we were using the few original cabinets with the newly purchased ones, I wanted to start with the same base. Annie Sloan chalk paint does not require priming or sanding to work, it is GREAT stuff. I have redone many furniture pieces with it and the overall effect is wonderful, especially if you like the french country/shabby chic feel.
January 15, 2013 at 12:00PM     
Vanessa Giannamore
Thanks for all the positive feedback! :)
January 15, 2013 at 12:00PM   
caricampbell
Beautiful transformation! Nice work!
January 15, 2013 at 1:58PM     
janetherrick
What is the grid above fridge? It looks like a sub zero but its not a built in, right?
January 16, 2013 at 7:22AM     
christol
WOW, that's amazing! Great job!
January 16, 2013 at 7:45AM     
amgussen
It's a great improvement for sure with all the upgrade style applicances and counter tops. I just wish you had chosen more contemporary cabinet doors to go better with the rest of the contemporary style.
January 16, 2013 at 8:02AM   
Vanessa Giannamore
The fridge and freezer are Frigidaire Professional series and the grid above is a trim/finishing kit you can buy. It gives the look of a sub zero but is much less costly.
January 16, 2013 at 9:53AM     
mmers
To amgussen - obviously these people picked what THEY like - it might not be your style or my style, but it's THEIR style and that's all that counts.
January 16, 2013 at 11:09AM     
caricampbell
I agree with mmers...while I prefer sleek and modern for my kitchen, I can appreciate that they did a great remodel and they very well could have been going for a contemporary cottage look, or something like that. Plus, she refinished existing cabinetry. I think it's a nice blend of two styles.
January 16, 2013 at 12:46PM     
Vanessa Giannamore
Thank you all so much. And yes I was going for a more contemporary country look, I definitely prefer antiques and the whole french country , lived in look. Plus it works well with the 3 children, dogs and cats! This house needed a total makeover, it had been vacant for over a year and was very dated: paneling on walls, stained carpets and dirty tile floors, missing kitchen. We were on a definite budget when it came to the kitchen because we have to do bathrooms and living areas as well, we definitely could not spend our whole budget on cabinetry. Luckily both my husband and I are handy, so we could save a lot of money and do almost all of the work ourselves. Everything we bought we got a screaming deal on, including the floors, which are bamboo. We ended up getting it from Home Depot as a closeout for $1.80 a square foot! Believe it or not Cadaveria, I only used two quarts of Annie Sloan paint and one can of clear wax. Less than a quarter of a can of the dark wax, so it cost me around $110. I think I will try to get some better pictures at some point and post because I think maybe the whole feeling is not coming through. I have been told that the pictures don't do it justice. And there is a peninsula next to the fridge which isn't showing. The kitchen is open to our family room, which I am working on now.
January 16, 2013 at 1:21PM     
kroze
Good for you Vanessa. Excellent job!!!
You're my kind of decorator..... scratching and digging for the best deals out there!
Way to go. Can't wait to see the next room when finished.
January 16, 2013 at 2:02PM     
connielippowitsch
I think the kitchen is lovely! You did a great job!
January 16, 2013 at 5:50PM     
amgussen
My sincere apologies for my previous comment. Reading it again makes me realize that it can be read as a quite arrogant statement. This was certainly not my intention, I was simply too spontaneous when commenting as per own preferences. Of course anyone gets to chbose their own style and taste - that's what inspires others when we accomplish something creative like this! Way to go, I think you did a great job following your instincts and the best confirmation of all is when you feel happy with the results. I always refer to how I would do things when I see some things that inspire my tbhoughts. Maybe shouldn't have written it that way? But hey, we're all different right?
January 16, 2013 at 8:56PM     
mlcastro
I wish i could do the same with my kitchen!
January 17, 2013 at 6:36AM   
kroze
Look at it this way micastro. You have a lot of time to formulate ideas and make plans for the "one day" kitchen of your dreams. Anticipation and planning is half the fun! So, begin now! Start daydreaming about the possibilities in your kitchen.
January 17, 2013 at 6:54AM     
mll75836
Wow! Just WOW!!
January 17, 2013 at 12:11PM     
eclairerw
That's nice!
January 17, 2013 at 7:38PM     
revss
Planning a K remodel myself; admire your skill at finding deals and getting the look you wanted. Will check out the Frig. and bamboo flooring. How do you (and others) like the SS apps.??? Has anyone used CORK flooring in a K.?
January 18, 2013 at 3:15AM     
Lilly nunes
Congratulation, it's beautiful
January 18, 2013 at 11:45AM     
Vanessa Giannamore
I'll be honest revss, the stainless steel is a pain to keep clean, but we love the look. The same goes for the dark bamboo flooring. And I couldn't imagine black or white appliances, I just don't think they would have worked at all. A lot of the country kitchens I've seen on this site as well as others used stainless, so I went with it. One thing I have to recommend, shop around. We ended up ordering all of our appliances on-line through one site, so we got a discount on top of a good deal. If we had purchased the same from Lowes, Home Depot or Sears it would have cost us about $1500 more.
January 18, 2013 at 1:04PM   
colleenluvja
Awesome Vanessa. I'm in the process pf purchasing a fixer upper. I'm making similar comparisons on the appliances. Where did you go yo get the appliances?
January 19, 2013 at 4:37AM   
lauriaj
Beautiful!!!
January 19, 2013 at 7:30AM     
duchess52
You did an amazing job. I love the the interesting variation of cabinet heights providing display for accessories. Yes, you could have gained some additional storage but the wow factor was worth it! I also love the mullioned doors above the microwave with recessed lighting. Great attention to detail! Please share your redos of other rooms.
January 19, 2013 at 11:17AM     
Vanessa Giannamore
Colleenluvja, we bought all our appliances from Goedekers. They were great and even with shipping it was quite a savings. And thank you!
Good luck on your renovation.
January 19, 2013 at 12:00PM   
PRO
JWinteriors
Love how you staggered your uppers and added glass doors to keep things light. Great lighting, too. Nothings worse than making a beautiful room and lighting it with florescent lights!
January 20, 2013 at 10:53AM     
montgomery4224
What online site did you order your appliances? Fabulous!
January 22, 2013 at 3:49AM     
Vanessa Giannamore
We bought all the appliances online from Goedekers. :-)
January 26, 2013 at 7:13AM   
PRO
Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
Thanks for sharing this, what a labor of love. I am curious how much time it took you to "antique" the cabinets?
January 26, 2013 at 10:44AM   
Vanessa Giannamore
Thanks Studio S, it probably took me around 15 hours total work time to refinish all the cabinets. That is from start to finish, the actual antique patina(distressing with sandpaper and metal brush, then mixture of light and dark waxes) probably took around 6-7 hours.
January 26, 2013 at 1:43PM   
Sandie Segura Wesolowski
Beautiful kitchen!!
February 12, 2013 at 7:41PM     
PRO
Olde Wood Ltd.
Very nice work!
February 20, 2013 at 1:50PM     
Vanessa Giannamore
Thanks everyone! Its been over a month and the chalk paint has held up wonderfully, even with all the kids and resulting messes. My only complaint is my dark bamboo floors, which are impossible to keep looking clean, but I still love the look.
February 20, 2013 at 4:23PM     
Sunny Giannamore
Nice work! Perfect!
March 3, 2013 at 8:07AM   
tarasocorro
Wow! Impressive!!!!
March 4, 2013 at 9:04PM   
More Discussions
kitchen wood compatibility
I am renovating my kitchen. I like the classic look;...
no dilemma. Just dont see m to be able to post properly.
Anyway, I just re-shuffled for the fall. How are...
I need help with my kitchen final touches!!
I am trying again with photos. Need suggestions for...
Adding character to new construction
I know you can always add character with furniture,...
Color of kitchen hardware
I am finishing off my new kitchen and have a few questions...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.