Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with living room
lonnymawby
January 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
So, my husband and I recently moved into a new home we had been renovating. Amidst buying this home and coming up with a game plan we found out I was pregnant... And then 6 weeks later got the blessed news of twins! SO needless to say we were in a mad dash to complete the house, move and unpack before the babes arrived. Well we finished 2 weeks before the birth of our twin girls, thank goodness! However, in a mad dash to have the house perfect I had two chairs with ottomans recovered and well... My nested took the better of me and I totaled messed up! We have a gorgeous oriental rug in the room paired with a leather couch and puffed blue velvet type ottoman from west elm, and now these very busy print blue and white chairs. It looks awful and I can't afford to redo the chairs! There is too much print and blue going on, I should have done a solid color that picked up a color from the rug... PLEASE HELP! How can I fix this?! It's driving me crazy and I am so busy caring for my girls who were 5 weeks early, I'm driving myself nuts!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cypress
Congrats on the new babies! You might be able to slipcover these, but I think that would be on the expensive side if you had it done professionally. If they cannot work in another room, put them on Craigslist, and chalk it up to experience!
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 2:30PM
tennisanyone
Congratulations on your twins. Move the chair into the nursery so you can put your feet up while holding the two of them. Agree with cypress, chalk it up to experience.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 2:36PM
Christy -
Congratulations on the birth of your twins! I agree...move the chairs to a bedroom, perhaps? Having them recovered would be costly---and this fabric is fantastic as is...I absolutely LOVE them! Would one fit in the nursery and one in your master bedroom?
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 2:40PM
Christy -
Ha! We all agree, but if you HAVE to find a new home for them, ask a relative to 'babysit' the chairs until you have room for them. Or call ME...I would gladly take them off your hands!! :) Enjoy your sweet loveys!
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 2:44PM
jhlevins
Can the rug work in another area of the house? The chairs are beautiful, but you're right, too much pattern. A neutral rug in warm brown would look.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 2:45PM
PRO
Kylie Allan Designs
Love both the rug and the chair. Just not together. The blue ottoman is ok but unfortunately the patterned fabric on the chaise is just too much pattern and too much blue which can work in some spaces but not with the chaise ontop of the rug. Unless you can move it off the rug I think it needs to find a new home in another room or you can cover it in a neutral ready made slip cover from a department store until you can afford to recover it. But I do love the fabric so maybe move it to another room. Sorry.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 2:47PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I'd move the rug to a different room and buy an inexpensive seagrass rug for the living room.
2 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 3:02PM
carol02
Congratulations on the twins - busy, but happy times! What you have is in all the magazines! Purchase rectangular pillow in contrasting color (if you like that sort of thing) or cream with some kind of fuzzy texture (my choice) and a cream or dk blue throw. Pillow to back of chair and throw over the back and arm. Part of the problem is that the seating area is not finished. A small table and lamp with a plant or picture of twins in gold or silver frame will serve to make the area finished. A big basket with magazine on the floor on the opposite side or large plant in wicker basket will finish the area and make that chair look like you are designer of the year. enjoy - there are no mistakes only opportunities!
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 3:23PM
broszko
I agree with most of what has been written. However, not all of us can simply afford to find a new home for our chairs or put them in a different room, because that doesn't solve the problem of furnishing your living room. I have an oriental rug that looks like your twin and I do love it. I have been covering my own furniture for sometime and have only left the difficult pieces to the professionals. It is still expensive and you have no time to learn to do this. I think that you need to ask yourself a couple of questions 1. how comfortable are these chairs? and secondly do you love them? If I were you, I would pull the rug back so you don't see it and take a good look at the chairs. Decide if you love them with the new fabric when they are by themselves. Here is my reality, it is easy to make a mistake whether you are doing the work or having a professional do it because you are still the one choosing the upholstery fabric. My second reality is that furniture even good quality furniture can be found for inexpensive prices. Craig's list often has an amazing furniture. My sister sold two beautifully matching chairs for $250. Believe it or not garage sales and estate sales can render great pieces also. If the combination is making you crazy just throw an old sheet over them to cover them up until you decide on what you want to do. The ottomans are actually more difficult to come by and you may consider having them redone at some point in time. God Bless you and your baby girls.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 3:45PM
kimdee24
I think the easier and probably least expensive solution would be to use a different rug. You can probably find something nice that doesn't cost a fortune and will work better with those chairs, at least for the time being. Congrats on your little ones!
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 3:51PM
lefty47
HI -- Big blessings for your babies and the family ! I think the easy thing to do is change the rug for something like a neutral wool or stain master carpet . Just texture but no pattern . I would not get a high end carpet because you will be replacing it in about 5 years . Life with babies will ruin that carpet you have now and it is pretty busy and maybe could be used else where or sell it or store it. Work your room around the chairs because you have put the money into them . I like the chairs , they almost look a little retro .
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 3:57PM
Aja Mazin
There are cold water, fabric reactive, permanent dyes that are sponged on the fabric.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 3:58PM
dcer
I love the fabric you used, and would replace the rug with something neutral.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 5:19PM
Aja Mazin
Oriental rugs [wool] are easily cleaned and very durable.

And your rug is fantastic!

Enjoy it!
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 5:24PM
Aja Mazin
Sell the chairs.

You should make a fortune!

Apparently you and I are the only ones who dislike them,
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 5:30PM
decoenthusiaste
Aja, you seem to know oriental rugs. I may need your help. I want to sell a Qum that I've had for over 30 years. No idea on the possibility of doing that.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 6:53PM
Donna Alger
I'm not crazy abt them either, but I think the idea about looking at them without the rug & the other suggestions she gave would benefit you. If doing that proves to be they are keeper, I would go to a thrift store and try to find some large drapes in a nutral color instead of an "old" sheet, (maybe a new one LOL) and use that to cover, wrap the seat cushion maybe even with a different tone of the other fabric.If you have time & can sew the ottomans can be covered with the fabric by cutting enough for the top & seams, then cut enough fabric for a skirt, that you might gather or make big pleates and attach them to top piece, simply lay them over the ottomans.
Congratulation on the newest addition's to your home. Blessing to you all.
Looking forward to hearing on what you come up with and if you keep them how they turn out.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 7:00PM
judianna20
Oh boy, the things we do when we are pregnant. :>)

A suggestion: remove all the ottomans and buy two very nice white throws and generously drape them over the chair.
Michelle's Master Bedroom.
Katerina Tana Design
Signature Properties Model Home II
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 7:10PM
Aja Mazin
decoenthusiaste,

I would love to see it!

Post a few photos.

Also, TAKE A CLOSE UP OF THE BACK WITH A RULER placed on it.

whoops
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 7:20PM
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
You have many lovely things happening in your life like new home and babies so don't beat yourself up over the chairs.
Your existing rug is handsome and so are your new chairs. The new fabric on the chairs is more youthful and bright. and maybe this subconsciously is a direction you are leaning towards. If so a simple solution is an inexpensive sea grass rug like Carolyn recommends. Can you move the existing rug to the dining room or family room or even master bedroom. It would be fine in an adjacent room with solid color upholstery, just not with the newly upholstered chairs. If you love the chairs nd the rug then I think this would be a simple inexpensive solution. You would still be carrying that thread of blue throughout he house.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 7:28PM
54cass
i wonder what you are going to do??? the rug is lovely with the fireplace. the chair fabric is lovely. the chairs might work elsewhere....only you know that. everyone offered such good suggestions. personally, i am attached to my rugs and dislike moving them. the rug is the 5th wall. it is important to me. good luck with your decision and all the best with your two new additions.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 5:10AM