Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with kitchen cabinets!
shellyv65
January 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Should I stain my cabinets darker or paint them a lighter color? They are really outdated and in need of help but I can't afford to replace them right now. Thanks for any advice! :)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
feeny
Since your granite and backsplash are medium grays, I'd be tempted to go lighter on the cabinets and paint them white, or off white. Otherwise I'm worried the effect may be too dark with the backsplash.
Here's a kitchen with similar cabinets painted white, just so you can see how they look:

January 12, 2013 at 2:53pm     
shellyv65
Thanks for the reply. I think the color in the picture may be off. The counters are a brown speckled and the backsplash is bronze. Do you think the white would still look ok with those colors?
January 12, 2013 at 3:01pm   
feeny
The great thing about white is that it looks good with everything! Yes, I think white, off white, or ivory would be lovely with those colors, and would make a nice contrast.
January 12, 2013 at 3:04pm     
tschmoeg
I think I would definetly go lighter. I think white would look good. Having the dark counters, dark backsplash, and darker cabinets may be too much.
January 12, 2013 at 3:11pm     
sierra90
I am in the midst of painting my cabinets that are similar to yours. First tried a creamy white. They looked streaky and seemed to clash with white trim. Went with a color called biscotti and loving it! I am using rustoleum cabinet transformations. Tedious process but great results!!
January 12, 2013 at 3:17pm     
shellyv65
Thank you all for the great advice!
January 12, 2013 at 3:22pm   
dcer
Yes, I would definitely paint it a pretty creamy white/ivory
January 12, 2013 at 5:28pm   
More Discussions
Need help for color on throw pillows
Gray leather sofa. Suggested colors for this room with...
Property Line Disputes?
Ever have any issues with neighbors and property lines?...
what goes with a teal couch??
I have this light teal couch and love seat and have...
Is cork ok for kitchen floors?
I want to put a cork floor in my kitchen. Is this...
need help in fam/kichen great room
We pulled carpet and replacing with oak hardwoods for...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.