powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please help. Interior doors - not liking the eyebrow arch. Is it "dated" or just me?
Kimberly Hillegas
January 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Thanks in advance for your help. We were expecting 6 panel doors in our traditional new home, but the builder substituted these 2 panel doors. The home has lots of beautiful white wainscotting, coffered or trey ceilings, crown moulding and trim. I'm thinking these look cheaper - or even southwest. I have granite with white raised panel cabinets in the kitchen - shaker seemes a bit too stark.
Am I missing something? Should I have them switched out or is there a new trend that I am missing?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ramona
You should get what you ordered. If you don't like them, the builder should switch them. Personally, I don't care for them much, but there is nothing wrong about them at all. I have two panel doors and like them a lot, but they don't have this arch.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 2:55PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi Kimberly! Beautiful home! I like this door. Not sure I'd like so much on a bedroom though. Can you take a pic of one of your bedrooms?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 3:00PM
Kimberly Hillegas
Here's pics in the bedrooms. Sorry they're not that clear -the house is out of state and my dh is visiting to check on construction.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 3:12PM
PRO
Eagledzines
I love them. They may be a more a expensive door. But you should get what you agreed upon. If you don't like them, the builder should swap them out.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 3:17PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Thanks for the add'l pics! Have another question -- Is the same hardware on all the doors?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 3:49PM
decoenthusiaste
Get what you ordered. If it becomes a big issue, consider painting these black and you'll never notice the style because they'll be so classy and dramatic.
T Eatons Loft Entrance
Georgetown Townhouse
Jane Lockhart Interior Design
3 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 4:02PM
Kimberly Hillegas
thanks - yes. they all have the brushed nickel levers. I really don't want to paint them. (but those pictures are beuatiful) eagledzines - you mentioned they might be more expensive? I guess that's what I was wondering. The 6 panel colonial were always the "builder upgrade" - so seem more high end to me. The two panel with the arch seemed to be a downgrade - reminds me of 80's kitchen cabinets. We chose to upgrade other areas, but if it was up to me I would replace them all with craftsman-style 5 panel in white. Maybe when the money tree blooms.
If it's an "upgrade" not a downgrade, I can live with them for resale value.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 4:11PM
bwinn
I think these doors are traditional (but not dated at all!) My colonial home (9 years old) has 6 panel doors and they don't do much for me. Actually, when I saw your post I had to check my doors to see what style they were - that's how much of an impact they have on me. That said, there are a lot of doors in your house and if you don't want to look at that style day in and day out, have the changed. It is a very lovely home!!
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 4:14PM
pauli12
I would go by one thing: Are you always going to be wishing you had your 6 panel doors?
This is a very fixable problem and it isn't really your problem..... so if you have any reservations, fix it now. I agree with you about how you see the arched doors..... but there is nothing wrong with them and you might learn to love them a lot. I haven't ever really liked arches in doors but I have shaker everything so arches wouldn't look too good with what I have.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 4:22PM
curacaoblue
You should get what you want and paid for. Are all doors in the home the same? If only 2 are like this it may be a mistake
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 4:29PM
Kimberly Hillegas
curacaoblue, they are all the same. pauli12, you are right on. I'm wondering if they will bug me forever or I'll learn to like them?
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 5:00PM
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
A single or double (like the 1st image "T Eatons Loft Entrance" that decoenthiast posted). This style door will also lend itself to any decorating style should you wish to go more transitional or contemporary. The arched panel style is definitely traditional and works more for a French country look but I agree looks a bit dated and not up to the caliber of the other architectural details of the house. A simple paneled door is timeless and classic and more versatile. It will also work beautifully with the nickel hardware. The right door can make all the difference so do not settle for less. PS. Black doors with nickel hardware would be so striking and unpredictable if they work with your decor and color scheme.
2 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 5:19PM
tallyhill
Someone upthread suggested that they were "more expensive". Uuumm....nope. GET WHAT YOU ORDERED NOW. I guarantee your builder got a bargain on these and you can again be sure he DIDN'T pass the savings to you. I lived in a NEW spec house (2003) in a 500k neighborhood and these were the doors. Masonite...SOLID, not hollow, but still... 2003....so you are NOT "missing some new trend", sweetie. I guarantee that. They looked dated before I had them in MY house, again, in **2003**. ;)

You are right to cue off your kitchen cabinets to give you a cohesive style. not "match", just not clash styles. Good luck and give that builder exactly twenty three minutes to get the doors you ORDERED installed or find an attorney, because this won't be the LAST thing he scrimps on. Good luck, sweetie.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 5:30PM
Jayme H.
I think you need to ask the builder why they substituted these door without at a minimum, running the idea by you? My spouse works for a reputable builder and I assure you, a change like that would have been run by the owner.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 5:37PM
Kimberly Hillegas
Tres McKinney et al. Thanks for the input. I'm no designer, but I trust my "gut". One of the things I loved about this house was all the white trimwork. All of it has very "squared" (don't know if that is the right term) lines. As you can see in this pic, there are some arches, but all columns and casings have clean, square lines. The 2 panels would be okay, maybe even a clean arch - but these are not! The builder is now saying they made some "design changes" - but never informed us.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 8:05PM
PRO
Linda
At first, I would ask the builder what the story is regarding the door style. Try to start the conversation with a comment about how the doors are different than you expected and let him get his statements out before you start discussing that you don't like them. Once he gets on the defensive, you'll get less information and more grief as you try to resolve the issue.

Maybe they don't bother you enough to insist that they be changed out, but he needs to compensate you either by putting in the doors you expect or by offering you an upgrade on some other feature which isn't completed yet.
3 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 8:08PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Great advice from everyone!

Kimberly - Sorry you have to deal w/something like this - so frustrating! I agree w/Linda - approach the conversation w/the assumption that the builder thought he was making changes for the better (even though he didn't ask and even though he probably was not), then you are less likely to put him on the defensive or get upset yourself.

Review your contract first in case so you can anticipate any argument the builder will make in response & to find out if there are any formal notices you need to make or time limits within which to make them. Then find the doors you were supposed to get - or even different ones with the same cost if you find something you like better - and give the builder the information. I would also suggest that you take a hard look at everything else in the house to make sure there weren't any other changes that you didn't notice yet.

A reputable and ethical builder will make the changes you request and your builder probably is, despite this faux pas.

Good luck & let us know.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com

P.S. At the very least you can sell these doors and replace them yourself. Since they are brand new you shouldn't have any trouble.
2 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 8:49AM
Ramona
I agree, be charming but insist on getting what you paid for and make sure that others things have not been substituted. The builder may have just made a mistake, but he should fix it without fuss. I really don't think the design is a big issue at all; the point is that you do not care for them. Are the arches more traditional? Of course. Are they passe? No way. I, too had to check my doors to see what I had as such things become invisible in a short while once you live in a space. That doesn't mean they don't have impact. I think they do, especially when someone who doesn't live in the home enters it.
2 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 10:10AM
Jayme H.
I just showed this to my husband, who thinks these are cheaper door. He says u should tell them you want the 6 panels...(he's is a finishing carpenter).
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 10:41AM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I love the two panel doors - just not the arch. I think they make some that are more squared off. It is just such a nice change to see something other than the 6 panel - which I have all over our Williamsburg home. They just get boring after awhile.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 6:57PM
feeny
I agree with Deborah. I always prefer simpler door styles (ours look like shaker cabinetry), so I probably prefer the two panel to the six panel. But not the arch.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 7:02PM
Sue Ann Stevens
Just have to chime in with agreement that you should get what you initially desired. My guess is 1) builder got a deal and didn't think you would care/notice or make an issue 2) may try and charge you for "upgrading" to your initial choice of the 6 panel doors. Stick to your guns! These are fine doors if they are what you wanted and asked for but not if you don't care for them and not your desire. Capiche?
Examine your contract for loopholes that allow for this sort of change. He is probably taking a little advantage since you are not in the area and are probably not "babysitting" the progress.
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 5:46AM
feeny
Hi Kimberly,
I still think you should get whatever door you originally wanted or expected, but I thought of your design dilemma when this beautiful kitchen popped up on the Houzz home page slide show this evening. Please note the style of the door on the back wall:

3 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 4:09PM
Kimberly Hillegas
oooh feeny, I do like that. Especially how the shape is repeated in the island shelves. Thank you for sharing! I'm visiting valentines day and will see them in person. I hate to make a "stink" before then. I'll let you all know how it goes.
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 5:22PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Great find feeny! The door does look beautiful in that kitchen!

Kimberly - let us know how your visit goes!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 6:04PM
cjktsd
I agree that you should get what you ordered but I like that door much better then a 6 panel door that everyone has.
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 6:08PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi Kimberly! How did your visit go?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   March 17, 2013 at 5:05PM
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.