Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need a fun, fresh fabric for chair
norcalwinegal
January 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Just moved back into our remodeled home, and need to refresh my grandfather's chair with new fabric for my office. I am hoping for fresh colors - yellow, pink, green - the house is more off white than white.
Thanks for your input!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
norcalwinegal
oh - and I really love orange!
January 12, 2013 at 4:40pm   
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
Consider having the chair painted orange and then finding a fun fabric.
January 12, 2013 at 4:45pm     
decoenthusiaste
The lyre lends itself to a musical theme. Paint it black or ivory, so you won't have to paint it again when you tire of orange. You can change the seat out and reupholster easily with orange or anything else that suits your fancy at the moment.
beige music sheets fabric by Timeless Treasures USA
Malabar Coral Fabric
January 12, 2013 at 4:50pm     
Dove Cochrane
I love the harp back, what a fabulous chair. This fabric is from Bassett, it's called confetti. It has just about every color you mentioned. Although, not really any orange, more red.
January 12, 2013 at 4:52pm     
Aja Mazin
You are going to paint the wood of the chair?
January 12, 2013 at 5:11pm   
norcalwinegal
Hi -
The desk and chair are the only furniture in the room. It is a small office off the main living area. I am not sure about painting a family antique.... love the ikat idea.
January 12, 2013 at 5:12pm   
Dove Cochrane
I was wondering the same; if there is a vote, I vote to preserve the history and respect the finish - if you paint it, you can never get the original finish back. (just my personal opinion / discard at will)
January 12, 2013 at 5:15pm     
Aja Mazin
I like plaids!
January 12, 2013 at 5:18pm     
Dove Cochrane
Oh and PS
I keep meaning to suggest that you add some padding to the seat and perhaps a small pillow for your lower back out of the same fabric.
January 12, 2013 at 5:18pm     
cypress
Ikat or a Zebra print would be great!
January 12, 2013 at 5:50pm     
Manon Floreat
I know you said you were mot interested in bright fresh colors, but I can't help but offer up recovering what you have with bright turquoise or green and putting a zebra print seat cushion on top. A little unexpected and quirky fun.
January 12, 2013 at 6:00pm     
Manon Floreat
Cypress, we were thinking along the same lines! I think zebra would be really fun.
January 12, 2013 at 6:01pm     
norcalwinegal
I AM very interested in bright fresh colors - I love the idea of a little freshness to mix with the old and the new.
January 12, 2013 at 6:14pm     
norcalwinegal
My husband also just mentioned I should add some color to the windows, so maybe the same fabric as the chair? or complimentary colors?
January 12, 2013 at 6:15pm   
Aja Mazin
Zebra need not be confined to black and white.
January 12, 2013 at 6:25pm     
Aja Mazin
Roman shades.
January 12, 2013 at 6:26pm     
broszko
I personally think it's a crime to paint old wood, my sister would disagree. Perhaps you should consider what feeling you want to experience when you go into this space. Experts, not me, tell us that specific colors can bring about specific feelings in all of us. I also heard once that one should look into their closet and see what colors they tend to love to help them make color choices.
January 12, 2013 at 6:47pm     
norcalwinegal
Does anyone have a suggestion on where to get Roman shades?
January 12, 2013 at 9:39pm   
bhelmore
Lots of padding needed on the seat for comfort and the wow, plush factor with any fabric you choose.
January 12, 2013 at 10:15pm   
norcalwinegal
broszko - most of my closet and my house are classic colors like grey and brown with a touch of cream and black. This is the one room I hoped to make bright and colorful. I am looking at some bright fabrics and definitely will add padding to the seat and probably a pillow for the back.
Thank you everyone for your input it is much appreciated!
January 12, 2013 at 10:23pm   
norcalwinegal
Love Marimekko and the big flowers - would the the large pattern work on a antique chair?
January 12, 2013 at 10:47pm   
designcanuck
A large pattern can work on an antique chair.

Are you considering painting it white?

You can always mix old and new, antique and modern to create a unique conversation piece. BE BOLD!!!

Do yo have photoshop? Try modifying the photo for a visual.
January 12, 2013 at 10:54pm     
anthip
Please do not paint that chair. I'm not a fan of painting wooden furniture (except in certain situations) but I really cannot abide the painting of antiques. Especially ones that are as fine as your chair seems to be. I agree that a funky fabric is the way to go. Your seat pad doesn't have to be the same fabric as the back cushion either.
January 12, 2013 at 11:00pm     
norcalwinegal
OK - I am sold, so Bold I go,
I do not think I will not paint the chair due to the family history, future generations, etc ...
I will mix the fabric for the seat and the pillow. I will post when I finish, but don't hold your breath as it may take me a month or so!
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you all for your wonderful advice!
January 12, 2013 at 11:11pm     
mariaed
My vote is definitely don't paint the chair...the wood adds character, history and warmth to the room. It will be so fun with some cheery fabric.
April 20, 2014 at 6:22pm   
PRO
Loom Decor
This work space is amazing & I love the antique chair. I have included some swatches of fun fabrics that you might enjoy for your DIY project. I hope you love these fabrics as much as we do! The names of these specific fabrics are: Great Balls of Fire: Sangria, Cheery Blossom: Raspberry and Gate: Citrine.
These and many others are available for purchase by the yard here:
http://www.loomdecor.com/fabric

Hope this helps! Don’t hesitate to contact me for additional assistance! Happy decorating!
Design It Yourself Decor | loomdecor.com | blair@loomdecor.com
April 25, 2014 at 3:30pm   
Angela Lee
these are some really cute and fresh ones from Lee Jofa
April 25, 2014 at 4:01pm   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.