January 12, 2013 at 5:25pm   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
What would your question be?
January 12, 2013 at 7:03pm   
PRO
Dytecture
Lots of potential for this room. Perhaps you are looking for furniture layout / paint ideas ?
January 12, 2013 at 7:31pm   
jan shimer
What can I do with the windows..I hate curtains..bay window has beautiful view...front windows let hot sun in...how can I arrange the room?
January 12, 2013 at 7:32pm   
PRO
Edmonton Homecrafters
You might want to think about adding some color to the walls. Then take a look at your window treatments
January 12, 2013 at 7:45pm   
janishill
You can hang Roman shades.

Can you post pictures that show the room from left to right and vice-a-versa then top to bottom and bottom to top?
January 12, 2013 at 7:47pm   
jan shimer
Isn't there a way to play up the white? Room arrangement and decor?
January 12, 2013 at 8:03pm   
jan shimer
Let's try more pics
January 12, 2013 at 8:06pm   
jan shimer
Another
January 12, 2013 at 8:07pm   
jan shimer
Let's see
January 12, 2013 at 8:10pm   
PRO
Welcome Home designs
If heat and light are issues in your living room then I would suggest cellular shades for your windows.

January 12, 2013 at 8:28pm     
lizoregon
I agree about cellular shades. For your bay windows with the view you might consider ordering them in "top down bottom up" configuration for maximum flexibility.

I think if you want to play up the white you need more color in the room. Everything is kind of bland. Perhaps an area rug on top of the carpet?
January 12, 2013 at 10:03pm   
nikitasmom
I envy you having a window with a view. Perhaps that could be a feature of the room with a builtin nook or a table with chairs. I would lose the curtain there entirely. Good advice on the cellular shades and an area rug to define the space. Your colors are neutral so you are open to adding some. Sage green for a mild blend to a crimson pop. What is the function of the room? I see a chair facing the camera and wonder if it is facing a television we can't see. The more pictures you can provide which show the entire layout of the room would be helpful.
January 12, 2013 at 10:49pm   
jan shimer
Great ideas....going to check out cellular shades..wil send more full room pics later today..this room has a t.v, but I. Don't want it to be focal....love the table idea...always read NOT to put rug on rug....
January 13, 2013 at 5:47am   
jan shimer
Also, thanks for the picture..it helps ..I am visual....my husband is ONLY visual.
January 13, 2013 at 5:49am   
lizoregon
Yes you absolutely can layer a rug on top of your carpet. If you search the Houzz site you will find a discussion about it. I don't know how to link it over here though. :-)
January 13, 2013 at 9:55am   
janishill
The cellular blinds will be an excellent way to begin playing up the white.

I would first paint the brass fireplace screen/surround with heat resistant black paint. This will give your curtain rods something to relate to.

Then I would hang a large, white framed mirror over the fireplace and prop the existing picture against it and slightly over to the right, so about 2/3 of the mirror is covered by the picture. I would move the goose(?) over just so his neck lines up with the mirror frame and add a couple of tall candles behind him.

I have some ideas on furniture arrangement, but am uncertain as to how many chairs and tables you have.

To play up the white and warm up the room you could use colors from the pillow on the hearth to add splashes through out the space.

Again...I would like to see pictures from end to end and side to side. Perhaps a simple diagram of the room showing windows and doors.
January 13, 2013 at 10:12am   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I agree i would definitely recommend going with a Cellular Shade with a Top down Bottom up option. This way you can control all the light and privacy in the room. Also the cellular shade will fit perfectly in your windows for a nice clean look.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/cellular-shades.html
January 13, 2013 at 3:56pm   
jan shimer
You,guys r the best...going to check into shades, get black for fireplace cover and check white mirrors..and look for colors from the pillow...sooooooooooo excited..
January 13, 2013 at 4:09pm     
janishill
Wait! Before you start looking for items with the colors from the pillow add white candles, a white throw or two,and a green plant in a white pot for the coffee table. The green plant picks up the green in the pillow!
January 13, 2013 at 4:47pm   
jan shimer
Ok...great..I do also have a round oak kitchen table I could bring in...its not too big with the leaf out..
January 13, 2013 at 4:55pm     
janishill
I found your other pictures and can sugest a way to arrange furniture...but I have to be up early tomorrow and don't have time tonight.
January 13, 2013 at 6:29pm   
jan shimer
Ok and thanks so much.
January 13, 2013 at 7:26pm     
cyn222
Create a seating area in front of the fireplace with two chairs table and couch. If there is enough room, create another area for relaxing with a book. Furniture is kind of spaced out really wide. Bring it in and make it cozy. Paint walls a nice color and find some drapes to soften the look.
January 14, 2013 at 12:42am