Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What should we do with this space?
chelseabeagle
January 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My hubby and I designed and built our home over this past summer. We have 2 large lofts on either side of the livingroom, roughly 300 sq ft each.

We don't have any kids, but are hoping for some. We don't entertain or have cable tv. I like crafts and my hubby loves Lego.

What should we use the space for?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chelseabeagle
Really? No one has any ideas?
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 6:09AM
jaymarjenhoff95237
Why not an art area for your work?
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 6:28AM
sstuart3tx
I would turn the area into a reading room or guest room area that offers privacy for a guest. A small desk with a 18-24 inch high hutch and writing surface with a chair could sit between the two windows and provide height in that area. I would put a twin bed up there along the right side wall in the room away from the stairs. I would place one or two low, two-shelf, book cases on the left side of the room on the wall to the left of the stairs. And then I would center a small size over-stuffed comfortable chair and floor lamp over by the raililng to the right of the stairs as a cozy reading area. I would consider using something like a ladder-back dining room chair (or another open back design) for the writing desk. The ladder back chair should keep the desk area looking "open" and not too heavy. You might want to consider a small wicker chair as your reading chair rather that an over-stuffed chair. On the walls to the far left and right of the windows you might consider small portable wicker or basket weave storage areas. I would put small floor planters by the chair next to the rail so it can been seen from downstairs and one small plant over by the window on the far wall. I would use a black lamp shade on the floor lamp and then would repeat something black along the walls by the windows or the walls to the left where the low bookshelves would go. And then I would finish the room with some type of area rug for more softness. For a window treatment, I would probably use a 12 inch valance. If you want the room to be more tailored, I would use straight panels with no fullness, otherwise I would use 2 to 3 widths of fullness on the windows. This is a really lovely spot in the reader's home and offers a lot of nice possibilities depending on who is going to use the room. On another note, you could probably get away with putting a small, scaled-down chair on the left side of the room by the bookshelves with a small glass table for holding drinks, etc. I would keep the furniture small in scale and open in the arms and legs to keep the room from looking overly furnished. I probably would go with an overstuffed chair (rather than wicker though) that has no open arms because they look so cozy to me.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 7:34AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I would devote one side to your crafts and the other side to hubby's Lego projects.
2 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:38AM
janiscutshaw
It will be an awesome kid space when you have them, but it will be years before they can really play up their unsupervised. I would devote the spaces to your hobbies, unless you need the space for guests.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 8:03AM
colleengaeto
I would install a low bank of cabinets that would extend the entire wall under the window space. It would provide great storage for crafts and legos. Along with the built-in cabinetry make sure two spaces are provided so that you can place 2 chairs while working at this space. I would have the chairs placed under each window. Make sure you have good lighting in this area. As to the other side where the railing is I would place two over stuffed chairs with ottomans. A table between the chairs with a beautiful lamp would make this area super cozy. I could not see if there is carpet in this space but if not an area rug would look great. A nice size floor plant would tie it all together.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 8:05AM
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
Agree...make one side for you and the other for your husband. Each have your own space to do what you love.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 9:12AM
PRO
Dytecture
Do you need a space for work ?

0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 10:27AM