Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Stuck in the late 60's basement family room
ellie0149
January 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
45 yr old family!!As you can see from the picture we need help with this room. As you can see we have large windows and paneling (Yuck) which we can't really afford to rip out at this time due to reno's done upstairs budget at a minimum now. I think we are going to paint the panelling but need help as to color, window covering, what to do with floor (tiles now) and the fireplace. I would say the upstairs is transitional as far as style goes. I would like to go for a relaxed feeling down here as this is where we watch tv etc.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
apple_pie_order
More photos and a floor plan would be helpful. Have you settled on a budget yet? Do you have some furniture to put in the room now?
January 12, 2013 at 9:39pm   
ellie0149
we are out of town right now so will try and get more pics next week and we are living with this furniture until we decide what we will do. As you can guess it is furniture my parents had down here lol so we definitely need new.
January 12, 2013 at 10:00pm   
rawketgrl
Fun project! Pick 2 colors you love a lighter and a darker one. Walls lighter, trim bright glossy (I prefer white) curtains darker color, furniture and rug lighter color, accents darker color. Can't go wrong.

1. Yes painting the paneling white will really help you love this space. I would add some larger molding also to give it a nice finished look in glossy white.

2. Fireplace surround. There are many options here create one out of molding, buy one on ebay or craigslist, or go for new at the depot. Build up that nice focal point of the warm fire. Also a mantle gives you something to decorate. I would probably build something out of white molding. Put up a few candle sticks (or other what nots) and a framed piece of art and boom instant cozy.

3. Ceiling to floor curtains in a warm tone that you love. It looks like the one window in the corner may be challenging to do as it has an over hang but no worries just be sure the curtain goes all the way down like the rest of them and it should be okay. Or maybe curtain off that whole corner with a curtain running from fireplace to window wall...I would have to see more pictures of that area I think. I would probably do faux velvet in a dark purple. But that is me. I like the idea of a nice warm texture here, go with a solid though as it is a bunch of window.

4. Killer area rug in a low pile sandy brushed vintage look. I would pick light greyish silvery.

5. Comfy soft couch , I would do a greyish color here with purple pillows.

6. I would probably paint the tables bright white and add a wood or marble top in a greyish to the coffee table. Or replace with a rounded edge one you love. I am thinking metal with wood top. Restoration hardware looking.

7. Floor and table lamps within arms reach of the seating surfaces. I might even add a piece of chair rail type molding to the edge of that upper panel wall that sticks out, I would mount the molding so it is partly covering wall and partly hanging down below the wall to give room to tack a strip of rope light tucked in behind it to shine warmly down the newly painted white paneling.

Have fun thinking outside the box! I found a nice before and after web site that might give you some ideas...http://www.betterafter.net/
January 12, 2013 at 10:09pm   
Jayme H.
Some color combos
January 12, 2013 at 10:53pm   
triciajo
We covered our paneling with a liner and then a textured wallpaper. We were very happy with it.
January 12, 2013 at 11:20pm     
charleee
I just finished painting three paneled walls, and let me tell you that was no small task!!! Avoid it if possible, but if not at least have a pro come in a spray it.
January 13, 2013 at 3:26am   
rlkeegan
Using a roller with a 3/4 or 1 inch nap makes painting paneling easy. I am pleased with the results.
January 13, 2013 at 4:13am   
ellie0149
Here is a rough floor plan of family room. As you can see there are 2 doors on 1wall, and that crazy little ( den for lack of better term) where my piano was as a child and tv wall big yuck. I think we are leaning towards painting the paneling, getting new furniture but layout has me stumped
January 14, 2013 at 1:29pm   
PRO
By Design EK
How about a Book Nook in that alcove area. You could put bookshelves all around and it would be a great place to store books/games/dvd's etc. I think floor to ceiling panels would be best bet for window treatments and you could pretty much cover the wall. At the end under the alcove you could just mount a stationary panel under that spot on a separate invisible rod. I am leaning towards painting the paneling white, or maybe a soft grey. The room seems a bit modern with the tile. If you wanted to change the flooring you could maybe go over top, but I am going to assume the tile is directly on top of concrete and it will be tough to tear up. I would add some nice rugs and work with it if you can. You could go modern, or I could see beachy if you painted a soft grey like driftwood on the paneling and then put sea grass or sisal stile rugs on the floor. For furniture placement could you mount the TV next to the Fireplace? That way you could put the sofa on the long wall, maybe a cute little sectional to go on the long wall and then in the corner under the windows. New trim base board would look great and It really depends on the look you choose as to what to do with the fireplace. If you go more traditional add a mantle, more modern maybe paint it with chalkboard paint to blend in the black surround that sticks out. I like the matte black of chalkboard paint whether you are going to draw on it or not. This would make it a contrast and an interesting accent instead of an awkward box hanging off the wall! You could add a box under it and tile the box to give it a hearth and then it would have a more finished look. Anyway hope those ideas help!
January 14, 2013 at 1:51pm   
ellie0149
Thanks North Bay for the wonderful suggestions,will have to see if we can move cable for tv to other wall. The the idea of sectional and yes that new gas fireplace really sticks out. Sure don't want to take up that floor as it has been down 45 years and I know dad glued everyone lol. Thanks again
January 14, 2013 at 2:18pm   
janishill
When painting paneling be sure to use a primer first! I painted a room that took 3 coats because I did not think to use primer before actually painting.

Rather than white why not try a soft yellow to give the illusion of sunlight coming into the room? Something like 'Fun in the Sun' by Ben Moore with fresh and happy: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/funinthesun
Be sure to use eggshell or semi-gloss paint so it reflects the existing light.
Paint the trim high gloss white.

Use gray, black or blue as an accent color. You could paint the rocker, coffee table and end tables to go with the new look.

Add a fun rug from Ikea and no sew panels: http://www.shanty-2-chic.com/2012/06/easy-no-sew-window-panels.html
or http://www.allthingsthrifty.com/2010/04/only-way-to-make-window-curtain.html

Put the rocking chair, a painted bookshelf (look at thrift stores, yard sales, consignment shops and Craigslist for used pieces you can incorporate) and a lamp in the little 'den' for a place to curl up with a good book.

Position the sofa perpendicular to the fireplace with the blue chair centered across from it. Place the TV opposite the fireplace. With the rug, a few throw pillows and a throw or two it should be a ocmfortable spot to relax and watch the telly.

Hope to see updates!
January 14, 2013 at 2:25pm   
janishill
Whoops. Forgot to add these
January 14, 2013 at 3:00pm   
janishill
I haven't a clue as to why the other 3 pictures didn't post. Sorry!
January 14, 2013 at 3:23pm