powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Dining room accessories needed. Any suggestions?
mainstreetschool
January 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Just got new furniture, and am excited to accessorize for 2013. House was built in 1932, with built in corner cabinets, original crystal and brass chandelier and sconces. Would like to incorporate my cobalt blue glassware, and hopefully blue willow dishes, if they will go with all the greens. Help?! Natalie, are you there?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mainstreetschool
Forgot to mention that I have a new scrollwork mirror (5x4) to hang above sideboard. But it may go on blank wall between door and corner cabinet. Too much white spaces.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 10:52PM
Terri Williams
You have a lot of traditional elements here. I think I'd try that mirror above your console table and in that painted area near the door try some art. Can the corner cabinets be left open for display of your colored dinnerware?
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 5:48AM
mainstreetschool
Not practical, but I thought about lining the inside with light paper so the objects will stand out. Will try to get mirror hung this week. Looking for suggestions to put on table and console.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 1:45PM
Aggie Purvinska
Light (painted) Interiors is a very nice idea, also maybe installing LED Lights inside the glass cabinets?

I hear there are lights now that are battery operated and extremely affordable.

Experiment with the wall color, too, maybe a mossy green..(love the chairs by the way).or a dusty rose...
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 1:52PM
mainstreetschool
Next dilemma . Husband just informed me he hates the new chairs! He wants leather arm chairs. But I still need side chairs, and his selection doesn't have upholstered side chairs. I want comfort also. Classic designing for the sexes episode. Even tho' decorating is my passion, I am thinking it is time to find a decorator to help. Any suggestions here to pull this all together without that expense? Originally I wanted white linen chairs but got the green to match color in new drapes. We selected the table and console together. Table base is delicate, see attached.
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 6:05AM
mainstreetschool
Close up of drapes and console wall with sconces. Also shows crystal chandelier. Help!?
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 6:11AM
Aggie Purvinska
I think you need to change the wall color to something much darker, that will bring in a different, more sophisticated feel, you are almost done, everything you have is lovely. Just need something above console...
[houzz=Camouflage 2143-40 Paint]

or even

[houzz=Oyster Mushroom 6185-52 Sico]

and a beautiful mirror...

[houzz=Howard Elliott Charlie Wall Mirror - 36W x 36H in.]
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 11:19AM
decoenthusiaste
The better approach with your style of windows might be fabric roman shades for the lower part, leaving the pretty transoms uncovered. A nice rad cover to match the window frames would look pretty. Light and paint the interiors of the built-ins. Use the Blue Willow over the buffet/credenza and consider installing a holder chair rail around the room if you have enough pieces to display there. I'd want it the same width and height as the break between the lower windows and the transom and in the same finish as the window. .
Radiator Covers
Austin Patterson Disston Architects
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 11:38AM
mainstreetschool
@decoenthusiaste, the 'transom' you see is actually matchstick shades pulled up. The window treatments are new. The windows crank out. I want rad covers in all the rooms, just haven't gotten that far along. I found some Hickory Chairs in a green and cream stripe that I may use instead of these.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 4:46PM
Terri Maines_Theisen
First of all I must say I love the windows, chandelier & sconces. I do not like the curtains & rug. What type of flooring do you have? It looks like some type of tile. I would hang roman shades for the lower half of the windows. I think you can use the dishes you want as long as the back of the china closet makes them pop. There are many different ways of lining the back, mirrors, material, lace, wall paper, etc.. I think a vase with fresh flowers on the table would add some color & either one large picture over the buffet, a nice mirror, or a group of pictures would look nice. As for the top of the buffet maybe a grouping of your blue glass & a bowl of fruit or pretty decanter. What ever you decide h
ave fun & enjoy.
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 5:06PM
mainstreetschool
This is the chair I found today
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 5:06PM
mainstreetschool
Terri, the floors are a wide tile border but plain center, that needs to be covered. The oriental rug came with the house and is in really good shape and quality. Thought I could work with it. I could take down the drapes and leave just the matchstick shade. I have a mirror for above the console. Need to get help hanging it. It is metal swirls with smaller beveled mirror in center. I will try arrangement of cobalt blue glassware. I might try mirrors in the corner cupboards. I will play with it this weekend. Thanks
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 5:40PM
mainstreetschool
Ok. I took the drapes down, leaving the bamboo roman shade. Added arrangement to table (temp, needs some rounding out). Put pine cones and green apples in glass vase. And added still life painted by my son. I think it goes with the console. Still have mirror to hang. Not sure if it is too big for space beside the corner cupboard. We want to try leather chairs with a little more substance.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 9:25PM
mainstreetschool
Next step. Got the mirror hung. Didn't look right above the sideboard. Ordered matting and frame for my son's painting to fit better above the sideboard.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 6:47AM
PRO
Photo Captures by Jeffery
It appears you have some artwork though perhaps hanging it would be nice. And nice to see your reflection as it is nice to put a face with a name. I do like the mirror you chose.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 6:53AM
Monica McCleary-Stuart
Looking good. I would lose the artifical plant in your window sill, as you have now put one as your centerpiece. What color leather chairs will you guys be going with?
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 7:09AM
mainstreetschool
Wanted to add picture of mirror hung, but couldn't add it with that post. That artwork is what will be re-framed to fill that space. Contractor to make boxes for radiators throughout house. My husband likes a brown leather chair he saw @Havertys, it has wood arms and would only be at heads of the table. Not sure if I should mix 'leg' styles. Also going to lighten the corner cabs with paint or mirrors and glass shelves and lights inside to see my willow ware. Will put up pictures when finished.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 8:33AM
Monica McCleary-Stuart
I love mixing. I love the idea of having arm chairs at the head, I so wanted that, but my DR is too small, so I had to go armless. I love all your ideas, I can't wait to see the final reveil!
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 6:37PM