Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for exterior materials and colours
watch4buses
January 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi, we had to add a second story to our home to accommodate our growing family. The house has gone from character home to modern. Main floor windows are being updated as part of this renovation. Roof will be metal. Current thinking is vertical galvalume metal on the portion that sticks out in front. Was thinking large fiber-cement panels on the main portion, but contractor seems to be trying to talk us out of it due to budget. Stucco is cheap where we are, so are leaning that way but afraid it will be too plain for such a large area. Spacers perhaps? And colour?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olldcan
Is your metal roof going to be the galvanized colour, are your window and door casings going to be white?

Custom fibre cement panels are pricey, stucco is stucco..... James Hardie makes a 4x8 fibre cement board panel, just a thought if used with 1" metal reveals between the sheets.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:58AM
watch4buses
The roof will be galvanized but not painted. Windows would be white. The hardie board is exactly what my contractor is talking me out of. I was thinking of a medium grey stucco, but worried it will look odd on such a large surface without some breaks or different material? Reveals in the stucco perhaps?
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 9:03AM
olldcan
Both these homes have used grey, notice the reveals, shapes and sizes and different materials in grey that are used. I like the way the cedar colour warms it up a bit.

[houzz=
]
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 9:23AM
watch4buses
Nice! I really like the cedar too, but in our climate it weathers soooo quickly and we're aiming for low maintenance.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 1:07PM
olldcan
There is product lines that look like cedar but aren't Can Excel make a composite product called cedar vue, very nice, worth checking out for sure cause it's 0 maintenance.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 1:10PM
PRO
Dytecture
The photos are a bit dark to get the true sense of the house's exterior. Is there any elevation drawings you can attach as 'jpeg' files? Another option is using stone with stucco exterior.

0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 1:14PM
watch4buses
Thanks again! I'm have a pic of the elevations. Trying to convert the PDF to JPEG but in the meantime here's a pic of some elevations that I have experimented with.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 5:31AM
watch4buses
I really like the grey in that last pic. :).
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 7:07AM
PRO
Galle Construction Inc
If budget is important, Stucco would be your best bet, you can incorporate control joints into the deisgn to help break up the stucco. Be cautious of transiting between different materials, as different materials have different depths and these depths will need to be addressed in order for a smooth and clean transition. Good Luck
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 7:21AM