Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Color always baffles me!!!!
momtoavainva
January 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi All, I'm in need of advice on color coordination. I am drawn more to neutrals, especially blues/whites/greys/beige. Which I know can be lovely as opposed to boring. But I think my bathroom is becoming boring as I'm trying to update. We painted the walls to coordinate with this new valence but it all seems to blend too well/can't see the beautiful pattern on the shade. Also, I'm unsure about the band fabric really working with the shade. Finally, what other colors can I bring into the room to perhaps add a bit more interest? Tile/Tub/Counters are all white and we plan to paint our cabinets a dark espresso brown. See pictures of valence below. Thanks for any advice!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
momtoavainva
Here is a before picture of the window to show the bath/tile.
January 13, 2013 at 7:03am   
PRO
Kathleen E. Hill
I would paint the walls the same blue as the valance to bring out the pattern that is tan. The trim works fine with the valance. Painting with espresso brown will make it pop. I would continue using the brown in wall art and accessories.
January 13, 2013 at 7:22am   
PRO
Chroma Design
Your wall color just needs some tweaking. It is too closely related to the pattern in the valance. Step away from the taupey grays ( for added contrast to the blue as well), and go lighter. Keeping with your love of neutral grays/blues/beiges, I suggest BM OC-20 pale oak.
January 13, 2013 at 7:35am   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Your blue valance fabric is beautiful, and I agree with you that the banding fabric is not quite right. It should not be too difficult for you to replace it with a solid fabric with some sheen that is the color of the embroidery.

I agree with katliz that painting the walls in the blue of the fabric will give more strength to the space. Against the blue, your white will stand out nicely.
January 13, 2013 at 7:36am   
PRO
CDR Design
Your color choices are great. I agree with Katliz1960: paint the walls the same color of blue as the window treatment. If there are any inset areas in the bath, you could paint them the color of the bath now, that is, the taupe. I notice you have taupe towels. They will also look great against the blue. For a more spa-look, remove all towel bars and roll your towels. I do not think you need a pop of color....best to keep it spa-like.
January 13, 2013 at 7:41am   
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
Pale oak is a lovely colour. It is very versatile. With a palette like yours interest will come through sheen and texture. Chrome and glass will add sparkle to dress it up and ad interest.
January 13, 2013 at 7:48am     
PRO
If you remove all the towel bars, where do you put damp towels to dry?
January 13, 2013 at 9:47am   
PRO
CDR Design
If you like to reuse your towels, you can certainly leave a towel bar for drying.
January 13, 2013 at 1:52pm   
More Discussions
Need help for DR window
This huge window is great for letting in light, but...
Your favorite home of all time?
What's your favorite home that you have ever lived...
Exterior dilemma
We are looking at buying this house. It was built in...
Do you have a formal living room?
If you do, do you actually use it? Vote and tell...
Window Replacements? Any advice?
Have you gone through a full house window replacement?...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.