Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Window treatments
ozana
January 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is for my bedroom. Because of the inclined ceiling, what s the best solution for window treatments?? I m going with velvet drapery but won t it slide to the right?? I want to cover the radiator with the drapery... what do u say?!..
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Do not cover the radiator with drapery. Buy a rod that's a foot longer than your door is wide. Hang it up. Measure the distance between the support brackets and make the header of your pleated curtain wide enough so the drape will cover the door as well as about 6" of wall space. When you open the curtain, draw it over to the left side of the door. You may want to have a hold-back on the left side to keep it out of the way when you want to.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 10:42AM
ozana
sorry but I don t understand your advice. when I said I wanted to cover the radiator I was talking about using the drapery. THe rod is going to be as long as the straight ceiling, the problem was about the inclined part. I want to continue with the rod and drapery but how?! sorry I m such a pain, but I didn t understand your advice...:)
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 2:08PM
gillianlf
She is trying to say covering the radiator with drapes is a fire hazard and you should not do it, and she is right. You should look for a non flammable solution such as a custom made radiator cover if you don't like the current look.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 2:23PM
houssaon
Another option is Roman shades on the door.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 2:31PM
ozana
ok thank you
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 4:06PM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Ozana, I thought when I said "do not cover the radiator with drapery" that it was pretty clear! :)

I wasn't worried about them bursting into flame but they would keep the heat between the drape and the wall and you wouldn't have good heat distribution. The heat could discolour the drape depending on the dye and the fibre in the fabric.

You were talking about velvet, and I assumed cotton velvet but there's silk velvet and linen velvet etc. I think any of them will be fine as long as they're lined and they don't rest against the radiator.

The rod should ALLOW the drape to get close to the rad (but not touch), but I would, in every day use, keep the edge of the drape back a couple of inches, just covering the glass on the door for light control.

While I love roman blinds, this isn't the best place for them. I am assuming that they would need to be raised and lowered on a daily basis and if you have the kind that is made by a drapery workroom, it would be too much stress on the cords. Hunter Douglas makes romans, however, that have a pretty good lifting mechanism that might work, but I feel it would look too unfinished and the door handle would keep them from hanging flat against the wall. I love the idea of a drape, beautifully made to size and quite functional.

Because you don't want to be handling the drape fabric every day and marking the fabric, you should use a fling rod to draw then across or put them on a rod that has a one-way draw to the left (you would pull a cord to move the drape).
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 4:58PM
ozana
:)) after muck expanation I see where you re coming from!! Thanhs!:)
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 10:32PM
PRO
Cheery Curtains
What about these curtains? Cheery Curtains has lots of nice curtain designs. For more curtain designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 11:43PM
cyn222
Avoid drapes on radiator.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 11:59PM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Nice curtains, Cheery, but ozana wants lined velvet! The width of the panel will need to be custom-made to the exact measurement for the best results.
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 9:50AM
ozana
yes, I ll use velvet.... I already have it...thank you all for the advice on the radiator!
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 9:55AM
More Discussions
What goes with fire bordeaux?
We are building a new home and have chosen fire bordeaux...
vialpando1004
wood ceiling suggestions
We are redoing a 1930 grange hall into a residence....
Gretchen Maurer
I need help with a new color for my 1958 cottage
Bought this adorable 816 sq. ft cottage on 9 acres...
smluv
Adding an entryway bench to foyer.
My living room furniture - cream leather sectional,...
1shamilton
Need help updating our 1960 ' s ranch
We are wanting to paint the shutters, buy a new front...
ameshell
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.