Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with fireplace mantle and wall
jbeezyforsheezy
January 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I put and old mirror I ha laying around up there just to fill the space temporarily but I want a mirror with some Beveling and a cool shape. I also need to find a way to get a pop of color up there. My accent color is golden yellow (you can see it the ceramic on the hearth)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mpoulsom
how about painting that mirror frame a light olive green. i think i see that color in your throw pillow. Then adding some roman shades to the windows on either side that are mounted from the ceiling, to make them appear larger than they are.
And of course your other option is to find a piece of colorful artwork to use above the fireplace instead of the mirror. Try to buy original art from local artists or look on etsy!
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 7:30AM
mpoulsom
p.s. your room is very pretty. forgot to say that!
you could also do woven pull down shades for your windows as well, if you don't like roman.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:33AM
PRO
Peninsula Home Staging
I like your idea of a new mirror with a different shape, especially since you have the rectangular windows. Grandin Road has some nice mirrors. I also think you should add larger accessories to your mantle to flank the mirror, but keep them asymmetrical. Try painting your mirror with a metallic finish and hanging it vertically then use a pair of large candle sticks on one side and a vase with flowers on the other. Pull the accessories toward the middle overlapping the edge of the mirror. One more thing - there is not a lot of contrast between the mantle (and surround) and the stone or the wall color. Consider painting your mantle dark brown or black. Lots of luck!
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:43AM
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
Yes, roman shades would add some personality. I think you will find it more pleasing if you dress the mantle with more appropriately scaled decor items. The mirror doesn't need to take a lead role, but will provide a strong supporting character for some candles, vases, a collection of interesting objects. This scale would look better (see image).
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:43AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I would get a gold framed mirror to pick up on your yellow accent color. A round one would work well, but if you get a rectangular one, please place it vertically. It will make your ceiling appear higher.

The things accessories on your mantel are too small and should be replaced with one to three bulkier, taller items such as what Judith showed you above.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:48AM
sluggodog
I agree with Carolyn -- when I saw the space I thought a round shape mirror would suit the area best and I do like the gold. If your not a fan of gold, I would go with a very dark wood (which would look nice with lighter curtains on each window...I think addressing the window treatment will finish off that space and make the mantle area more finished. As much as I like roman shades, your widows are so low from the ceiling, mounting would be tricky and cut the room. I would just add light/neutral curtains hung right from the top and cover the windows right up to give height.- cozy basement..just make sure you have lot's of good lighting/ lamps or stand up lamps.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 8:27AM
decoenthusiaste
Would you consider these under your windows? Would add a lot of practical storage and good looks.
Confort in a Living Room
ferguson
Main Floor Living Room
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 3:04PM
patriciarhall
does the mirror reflect something that is beautiful? If not, art work is the better choice.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 3:10PM
jbeezyforsheezy
Thank you all for you suggestions! I hadn't thought of roman blinds...but I'm a little afraid that it will make the room darker. (We have so little natural light as it is) i have thought about replacing the windows with leaded, beveled glass with maybe a small colored stained feature in the middle.

As for the mirror, there is an octagonal beveled mirror from Ballard that I love but I think it's too small. Any other mirror suggestions?
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 5:47PM
jbeezyforsheezy
I LOVE the idea of built in shelves, but I'm concerned about losing space in what is already a small living room.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 5:49PM
laineygirl
Roman shades will not make your room darker because they will not actually cover the windows. Hang them much higher -- at the ceiling -- and then have them rest at the very top of your windows so the windows appear larger.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 5:55PM
jbeezyforsheezy
Hmmm I need to see a picture of that. I can't wrap my brain around it.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 6:03PM
laineygirl
Here's a picture. As you can see from the side, the blinds are mounted ABOVE the window. You could mount yours all the way at the ceiling to make the window look bigger.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 6:19PM