powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Furniture placement and accent wall colors.
iluv2decorate4me
January 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I love old world, tuscany look, I don't have all the decor to match that theme but ultimately this is my goal. 1) Would like to paint accent walls, the problem is which ones and what color or faux paint for old world look 2) Not sure how to arrange living room furniture...eventually maybe an L-shaped small sectional in leather/fabric combo. 3) Could I stain mantle a little darker? 4) Note: I used the same window coverings for this whole space. The reason I did this is you see every window from every angle. I really need some input. Ps. I know white appliances have to eventually go.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
If you wanted to paint one area as a feature wall I don't see a good opportunity for that other than the fireplace elevation. That will create some drama and draw the eyes up. For my taste I find there are a lot of 'bits' - small lightweight decor elements distributed throughout the space. When I look at the photos my eyes go everywhere because there is no focus. I think the best thing before you do anything else it would be a good idea to edit. Take all the accessories and wall decor pieces away then re-introduce those that are most important to you. Group them in a 'conversation' so they are not used like salt and pepper throughout the space. For example, in the kitchen they are over the stove, on top of the cabinets, on the countertop, over the door, beside the door... It will look much better when you simplify and group the pieces you love into a collection or two at a focal point.
January 13, 2013 at 9:50AM   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
iluv2decorate4me
Thank you Judith. I do appreciate your advice and will begin to remove it all and get rid of it. I do love our new home and we plan to be here for the long haul. I like the iron decor above the stove. Maybe a mirror above the mantle? You would think with all this "stuff" I could figure out something to put on the mantle...and i can't. I have put things up there and taken them down numerous times and I can't achieve a look that I like. Painting the wall above and around the fireplace is something I would love to do. What color would you suggest? I had thought of painting the wall surrounding the stove and eventually replace the appliances with stainless or black including the horrible vent-a-hood. Can you attach any pictures of decor you think would be better suited for my home? Thank you again. Sheila
January 13, 2013 at 10:58AM   
More Discussions
need seating for 6
i am trying to imagine comfortable seating for 6 (2...
Ideas to modernize dining room set? Please ???
I inherited this set from my parents and hate it. ...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
I've painted my office Benjamin Moore's Breath of Fresh Air-I hate it
There's no color at all. I thought from looking at...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.