Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need help with living space
jazchi
January 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have no idea what to do with furniture placement or paint colors. I have a rectangular living area with a corner fireplace. I was thinking about putting the television on the fireplace, but I wasn't sure how that would work. There is not much space to work with on either side of the fireplace. I ordered a sectional, but I had to return it, because it took up most of the space. I am currently waiting for the new sofa, but I would like to add additional seating and other furniture. Please help!! =)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
From this angle it looks like the tv won't work well over the fireplace. It is too high. Can it go on the wall to the right? I like the colour of the sectional you chose. A really warm grey would be nice on the walls.
January 13, 2013 at 9:42AM     
jazchi
The wall to the right is about a 1ft of wall space before it opens up into the kitchen dining area. The only other wall is across from the fireplace and I couldn't think of a way to make it work.
January 13, 2013 at 9:52AM   
jazchi
I love the idea of warm grey. What accent colors would go with the grey and browns?
January 13, 2013 at 10:04AM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
It looks like there's a TV conncection on the long blank wall in photo 2. I would put the TV there on top of an entertainment console. Did you order the sofa/sectional as shown or the reverse configuration? I would angle the sectional in the room so that it comes out perpendicular to the fireplace. I would add one comfortable chair in front on the windows by the FP, angled toward the TV. Beside it I would place a small table.

Add rug, pillows, and a rectangular coffee table. If there's a floor plug, try to get some lighting near the sectional, plus a floor lamp by the chair.
Jensen Chair Faceted Mirror Side Table Satellite Rug Magnussen T1595 Lumeno Glass Rectangular Coffee Table
January 13, 2013 at 10:18AM     
jazchi
I love your thoughts thank you! I did order the couch in the configuration shown. It didn't occur to me to angle the couch I had my mind set on it being right in front of the tv. Should I look into getting the opposite configuration?
January 13, 2013 at 10:49AM   
PRO
No, that's the correct configuration for what I had in mind. I take it that there is a TV connection on the wall by the steps?
January 13, 2013 at 12:04PM     
jazchi
yes there is, but the receiver is cordless so we are able to move it anywhere. That wall is the most obvious choice; It's just an awkward sport in accordance to the fireplace.
January 13, 2013 at 4:40PM   
PRO
Give it a try. I think it's the best location for the TV.
January 13, 2013 at 7:17PM