Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Girls Bedroom Help with Window Treatments and Lighting
ruburr
January 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am updating my girls bedroom. Just got the beds and duvets and wanted to change the window treatment. Any suggestions.

Also any thoughts on lighting. Except for small lamps there are two lights (one on wall and one on ceiling above window)

Any other ideas on finishing off the room
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
It would help if we had a photo of the windows.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 9:40AM
Jean Tuck
I would centre the picture and place the lamp under the picture for ilumination , otherwise a blanet on top of bed could have a longer drape of fabric down the sides but not to long if for children for ease of getting in n out and for childs attempts to make their bed.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 10:02AM
dkorate
Pretty colors. In my humble opinion, that lamp is too small. I would get one much larger lamp, center it on the nightstand. The picture should be centered, I agree, but then if you get a larger lamp, it could obscure it. Maybe a larger lamp, a pretty mirror (larger than that picture) above the nightstand to reflect light throughout the room, and then lean the picture off-center against the wall next to the lamp. (Lean it on the nightstand, don't hang it.)
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 10:20AM
ruburr
Here are some more pictures of the room
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 11:14AM
sylviajoan
I agree that the lamp on the night stand needs to be larger. I do love the comforters for a girls room.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 11:21AM
ruburr
thank you. Do you have any suggestions for window treatments and lighting
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 1:11PM
PRO
Lumina Pets
Hi ruburr.....one of our Pink Lumina Pup lamps would do wonders for the bedside table and your street cred with your kids ;) ....The whole range can be seen at www.luminapets.com
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:59PM
PRO
Cheery Curtains
what about some beautiful drapes?
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 9:53PM
ruburr
Thanks for the web site. i will check it out

For the window treatments I am wondering on some fabric to go with the comforters and room. I am pretty sure I will stick with the same type. Just a fabric curtain. Any suggestions on fabrics
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 4:30PM
Jayme H.
If the room is staying blue on walls..I would look for a fabric ...prob. with a smaller floral pattern than bedding...with both pink and some blue to tie it all together. And I do not know how old your girls are, but I just envisioned the type that hang on the wall/over the bed with a pull down cord ....reading, etc...I will search for photos.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 4:52PM
Jayme H.
Here's a few- just noticed u have a wall light already...so don't know if these would match or work...
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 5:00PM
alucideye
I've always loved hanging lit lanterns in kids rooms, maybe like 3 of them. An example may be this paper lantern with pink polka dots from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Polka-Chinese-Japanese-Lantern-Diameter/dp/B0027NJINI/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1358212037&sr=1-6&keywords=paper+lanterns+pink
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 5:08PM
dkorate
I am partial to using a geometric print or stripes (using the same color palate) since you have floral on the comforters. So that's my 2 cents on fabrics for window treatments. :)
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 5:22PM
Cindy Moore
If you are wanting to change the paint color, I would pick up that cute kelly-green color in the leaves of the bedspread, only a lighter shade.(Paint is relatively cheep and makes a huge impact.) You could also do your curtains in plain white to the floor and use pink tie-backs to match the bedspread. A much larger lamp with a pink or green base and white shade would be cute. Then, two pictures, one over each bed, framed the same with similar colors in each. It could be artwork of your girls, or even their names drawn in a colorful way and matted in a way to match the room. I think pottery barn has frames that are made so that you can easily remove artwork and change it out with new artwork your kids have done as they get older.
2 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 5:36PM
drav2012
Long window panels & a colorful rug
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 5:42PM
judianna20
Paint the ceiling pink, add a fluffy rug and new drapes. I think that these in the photo are from Anthropologie. Great room.

tineke triggs
Maskros Pendant Lamp
3 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 5:49PM
PRO
JMittman Designs
You have a lot of floral going on. I'd consider a textured solid on curtain panels, probably black out lined. How much sun does the room get? I did a treatment on a similar window in a young girl's room with a different color scheme. I will attach it.
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 6:21PM
ruburr
I see what you mean...dont want to add any more floral to the room. thanks
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 7:16PM
dkorate
Would it be too silly to make the pendant by the window a chandelier, and put a table and chairs (child size, if they are little girls) underneath? I'm just spitballing here. Why do I feel something is off about that light? Maybe someone else can help. I LOVE the built in shelves. Good luck!
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 8:13PM
sylviajoan
That is a fabulous suggestion. I like the idea of a chandelier. Perhaps something with lots of bling!!!
Keep working on it. You're almost there.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 2:04PM
PRO
ACCENT SHUTTER
How about a netural Duettte in the window for function Literise no cords then you can have panels just to outline the windows saves in cost of fabric
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 2:09PM
ruburr
what is a duette
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 2:17PM
PRO
ACCENT SHUTTER
Hunter Douglas cellular-honeycomb shade
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 2:46PM
a3anwacoli
Love the room
I also think a chandelier with lots of bling would be great
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 3:27PM
kmungs
What a great sized room and love the built in shelves. Lots of natural character in the room. I would choose a long white curtain with a pink panel at the bottom I would change the rug to maybe a fun rag rug in alighter colour maybe a stripe and I think chairs are must if you have the space. White wicker to match the cradle. In addition I would stage the shelves a little bit. Maybe storage boxes in a pink or baskets for some of the smaller items.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 3:58PM
ruburr
I think that I was leaning toward a white curtain . How would you do a pink panel at the bottom

I guess the baskets and boxes on the shelves would be nice too
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 5:09PM