Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Paint, stain or reface?
aydanpeterson
January 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi there,
We have an old red brick fireplace with a rather large hearth and I'm just looking for some advice on how to update it. The ceiling is also cedar planks so the double dose of brown and reddish hues is a little much. We will eventually install hardwood instead of the carpet as well which will introduce yet another dark tone. We were going to paint the walls and stain the fireplace charcoal to eliminate the red tone so we could avoid painting the ceiling but I'm not sure that will be enough so may end up painting the ceiling. Any advice on the fireplace would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
Paint it or stain it - either will be an improvement. To modernize it a bit more, the hearth are is what is making it feel dated. It could be brought in to just the fireplace opening. Paint first and live with it a bit. The ceiling could be painted and would give textural interest without being so heavy but it depends on what style and look you are going for.
January 13, 2013 at 9:54am   
PRO
talitha free design
i actually really love the brick here stunning ,i was thinking how ever that you could break it up a little ,as there is definitely room for improvement ,i really think the roof could be improved -could you make it a rose or experiment with different tones that contrast with the colour you are wanting to your floors in ?
in regards to the fire place could you go for some thing a bit more bold like a colour (lemon -lime ) or experimenting with a shade of pigmented white ?you could even go bit further by doing some form of tiling aztec for the foundation (hearth ) as it does look like your focal point in your room ,really depends on the mood you are wanting to create !! i agree with "Judith Taylor designs " on the hearth - the hearth does make it look dated ,but i personally love a hearth ..imagine cosy nights with logs stacked up ..but removing it will create a sense of more space ..
January 13, 2013 at 10:16am   
decoenthusiaste
Can you combine your two threads on this DD?
January 13, 2013 at 10:19am     
PRO
talitha free design
hahaha ideas ideas
January 13, 2013 at 10:20am   
michigammemom
Take a look at how a fellow houzzer used whitewash pickling paint to update a brick fireplace. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/38813/Was-the-Brick-on-the-wall-Dry-brush-painted----
January 13, 2013 at 10:26am