Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help my mantle!!!
Amy Smolowitz_Ross
January 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Any ideas? Please help! The other picture is the color scheme of the room.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pettstar
I would lift the mirror up some. The pieces on the mantle look too small. But I love the color!
January 13, 2013 at 10:57AM     
lefty47
HI -- The mirror is fine where it is , I would just have a larger sqwatty artsy looking vase with a long twisty bare branch in it , set just left or right of center. Or a larger vase with a orchid . Or if you like things more even then add large matching objects or vases on each side . I see from your other picture ,you tend towards symetrey. Most of your decor items are small ,so best not to use too many. So use bigger items and less of.Try not to do much left ,right and middle displays and setting items in rows etc. More interesting to have things off set . Adding drapes is also going to add to the look of the fireplace.
January 13, 2013 at 11:24AM     
groveraxle
There are several ideabooks on styling a mantel. Here is one:

January 13, 2013 at 11:51AM   
groveraxle
A single tallish vase with your mirror, a couple of tall candlesticks, a figure. Simplify. Go with one or two pieces with drama. Get rid of the stuff on the hearth.
Fireplace 1
Abstract landscape painting
Fireplace 2
River House
January 13, 2013 at 12:03PM     
sluggodog
I concur with a clear/glass vase with some sort of branch/twigg. Then on the other side perhaps two matching vases or leave empty. I love the mirror and the rest of you decor. I would also remove the two smaller plants on the floor, along with the clock thingy..but leave the Buddha (love!) For the suggestion picture I included, I would leave out the framed photes and candles (just wanted to show a twig/vase idea.
January 13, 2013 at 12:35PM     
decoenthusiaste
I like the mirror but find that is is overwhelming. Would rather see it with a sofa, but you're already overloaded on round mirrors and they overhang the piece of furniture they're with. .Any one piece of FP decor that is larger than the fireplace opening itself is too big (IMO.) Hanging items should only be about 75% of the width of the piece they hang above. I think you should try the two round mirrors hung vertically above the mantel and the mirror from the FP above the table with the three tallest cream candles and the gold tone vase on the other side. Move the two green and gray square pieces to one side of the mantel, bust on the other.
January 13, 2013 at 4:51PM   
Amy Smolowitz_Ross
Thank you for the suggestions. Very helpful! I came up with this arrangement after reading the replies and a trip to Homegoods.
January 14, 2013 at 6:43AM     
michigammemom
Hi Amy, I would nix the red vase as it doesn't relate to the other items. I also suggest you remove all of the decor from the hearth and floor.
January 14, 2013 at 6:50AM     
patriciarhall
looks better, but try removing the red vase and position the light colored vase with the candlesticks, leaving the taller vase with sticks on the right side.
January 14, 2013 at 6:55AM     
pollyannagal
I like the new arrangement and think the red vase lifts it. I would move all the vases in a little so that they align with the vertical edge of the fireplace - items sitting on the overhang look like they are about to topple off the sides or as if they are trying to get as far away from each other as possible! This would make the whole arrangement more cohesive and connected to the mirror.
January 14, 2013 at 7:00AM     
sluggodog
I totally get why your adding the red vase, because of the cushions etc on your couch, so it's hard to get a feel of it all just by looking at this picture and not the whole room at a glance. I think I would prefer without, but if you put it up there and thought you loved it.. then keep it., but if part of you looks at it and think it's not quite right.. then go with that. I would suggest moving the vases on the right over to the left a bit.. it looks like they are just hanging on the edge -- the gold vase can be just ever so slightly in front of the mirror, but still keeping those two vases close/touching. If you keep the red vase, move that over to the right a bit too. I know arranging shelves, mantels etc.. should not be so hard, but it really is a work of art to get the right balance. :-)
January 14, 2013 at 7:02AM   
Amy Smolowitz_Ross
View of the entire room from upstairs...
January 14, 2013 at 7:08AM   
Amy Smolowitz_Ross
Another
January 14, 2013 at 7:09AM   
sluggodog
Ok.. I still think I like without the red vase as you have many 'spots' of red int the room (which I love red!) but it starts to get almost busy. - When I look at your picture and I put my finger over the red vase.. I like it without. - I prefer the neutrals on the mantel.. but you know it's such a personal preference and if you like it - go with it. I love all the beautiful cushions on your couch, that in itself is hard to arrange!
January 14, 2013 at 7:17AM   
Jayme H.
After seeing how tall that wall behind the FP is, it seems like the mirror is hanging a tad too low maybe? I love your room and colors!
January 14, 2013 at 7:35AM   
PRO
j | design
I'd either add more color to the mantel or remove the red altogether. I like this arrangement without the red, but adding more color would also tie into the rest of the room. Also, based on the picture taken from above, I would HIGHLY recommend getting a larger coffee table in there, the one you have currently looks a little lost in such a big room.
January 14, 2013 at 7:35AM   
tinalo
i would also lift the mirror and your area needs more color change color of fireplace may help if you can or change grey color
January 14, 2013 at 7:39AM   
Amy Smolowitz_Ross
LOL, the coffee table is from my outdoor set. We just moved to our new house and it's a work in progress... I would love one of those large tufted ottomans in there. Haven't found the right one... YET!
January 14, 2013 at 7:42AM   
tinalo
The color of the room is very grey looking I think color higher up the wall area would help
January 14, 2013 at 7:49AM   
michigammemom
Take your time Amy, and be mindful that your vaulted ceiling and open space will require larger accessories and furnishings. Anything too small scaled will look dwarfed. I would suggest a more decorative rod for your tab topped curtains...perhaps something matching the finish of your round mirror and ideally, the curtain panels should go to the floor.
January 14, 2013 at 7:56AM   
Amy Smolowitz_Ross
Oh, and I hate the wall color... I will be painting soon. Right now it's BM Iced Marble, which might be nice in a bedroom setting, but all over the house.... not so much! I'm thinking one of the BM HC colors.

And michagammemom, I agree totally with your curtain advice. I want to get lovely rods and lush curtains that go to the floor. These are just temporaries from my old house...
January 14, 2013 at 8:04AM   
kmislick
You're doing a great job so far and I love the color of the walls and furniture. Here are some other suggestions in order of importance (in my humble opinion). I would try to find an area rug that ties in all of these colors and helps the couch/pillows "pop". It would also cozy up the room which seems to be a challenge in rooms with such high ceilings. Finally, consider putting some sconces beside the mirror. These could be electrical or candle with remote control switch. I imagine that at night, though you have the ceiling fan, that the room could look dark. The sconce light flickering against the wall would be really pretty. Some plant life would be beautiful too. Regarding your couch pillows, I think that although they definitely add some interesting colors to the room, and your style says "sophisticated", the ruffle pillow does not fit. I imagine that pillow in a room decorated by a young person. Consistency with the styling seems to be so important to make it all work. I always remind myself of that when I'm decorating my home or helping someone else. Good luck.
January 14, 2013 at 8:06AM   
Maureen Fuller
My thoughts: You have a tall ceiling and the mirror brings the eye down, not up to the space and light. Lift it. Next, does the mirror reflect something pleasing as you look at it? If not, the mirror might be replaced by artwork that brings your colors together. Perhaps complimenting in a grouping, as you have plenty of room. I've found some fun artwork that's not too pricey at both Homegoods and Bed, Bath and Beyond, or Kirklands, if you are patient and wait for what works. Or a fun art project with your child(ren) would be to paint your own. Frame the area with white moulding. Consider retiling the fireplace. The residual beige could be replaced with complimenting blue/grey/black/white tones that might make it pop rather than fight the new wall shade. Final thought: pull your couch and chairs away from the walls and make a conversation area around an area rug with some punch of design or color you love.
January 14, 2013 at 8:11AM   
decoenthusiaste
I omitted part of a key sentence in my comment yesterday so have edited my advice today if you care to re-read it. The vertical mirrors will suit the double height windows. Curtains need to be hung above the window frame - a least halfway between the upper and lower windows, and you need full sets - pairs hung stationary on each side. I know the inner ones will be close to the FP but they don't have to be really full - just a hint of softness and color and pattern, which you really need.
January 14, 2013 at 8:12AM   
Amy Smolowitz_Ross
Okay, lifted the mirror about 7 inches, took away the red vase. I would have loved a cozier feel by the fireplace, but we have a huge piece in the room that the previous owners left that we use for the tv.
January 14, 2013 at 8:41AM     
Maureen Fuller
Paint that entertainment center white! Punch the inside with a good accent color. Redos on those pieces are getting to be the rage, as they're so inexpensive to buy 2nd hand. If you can't beat it, join it!
January 14, 2013 at 9:23AM   
lscanlon22
I liked the red vase! You need something colorful up there.
January 14, 2013 at 9:27AM     
pollyannagal
Another vote for the return of the red vase. Fireplace looks cold without it - you say you want cozier feel so bring in the red. The chair in the corner looks a bit lost in the space. A lidded basket between it and the fireplace would bring them together and make it cozier. I'm not keen on the tall vase on the floor beside the fireplace as it's too much the same as the objects on the mantle and just emphasises the height of the room. I think you need something more squat beside the fireplace - perhaps bring the cubes in a bit closer?
January 14, 2013 at 10:16AM   
Karen Williams
the red aspect is fine as this is the accent colour, why not replace the mirror from above the mantel and replace it with a large red botanical painting, to me the current mirror just looks rather odd. the tow smaller vase are fine but they too look rather odd and out of whack to my eye, also what about a lage oriental style rug in front of the mantel.
January 14, 2013 at 10:38AM   
Karen Williams
why not go oriental for your overall room theme
January 14, 2013 at 10:39AM   
decoenthusiaste
Snug your accent chair close to the FP and use your favorite color from that upholstery for your accent color and a second one for draperies. Just realized the curtains are tab tops - that's a dated look these days. Big beefy decorative rods will help. If you'll hang the two other mirrors vertically and get rods in that go with them you'll start to see a "look" instead of a "mix up."
January 14, 2013 at 10:44AM   
Sara Parker
I don't think you need anything on the mantle or beside the fireplace. The mirror is plenty. Neutralize the pillows then add colour with a FEW accessories.
January 14, 2013 at 10:47AM   
janiehburton
I would definitely move the beautiful mirror so that the bottom of the mirror is at least 10" to 12" from the top of the mantel - maybe even higher. This would give you more wall space to place larger simple decorative items on mantle. Spray the mirror Red. I think it would look great against the serene wall color you have chosen. Instead of painting the armoire white, think about repeating the Red. I would stay away from placing more than one item on the hearth. I would use the Asian figurine or statue. I would use roman shades on windows. There are many different types with light filtering that still give you privacy. If possible, change the fireplace doors - just plain black. Sometimes it is worth hiring a designer to bring fabrics into your home so you can see how they look in your lighting and with your carpet and wall color. I think you have a lot to work with and the room will be personal to your taste and beautiful!
January 14, 2013 at 11:05AM