Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
House is too dark and depressing!
cleigh2012
January 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Walls Benjamin Moore "Decatur Buff", trim Porter Paints "Bone White", dark pine floors.
I need a mood-lifting color on the walls! Please help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
It looks bright to me! If you were older, I might suggest you have your eyes checked for cataracts! lol! They tend to cause a yellow film that blocks you from seeing true colors. Try painting the recesses in your coffered ceiling a light blue and trying a soft pale yellow on the walls. If that doesn't do it then lighten the trim and woodwork.
January 13, 2013 at 12:16pm     
Darzy
How about just starting out by painting the back of the bookcase the color of the sofa? That would add depth and pizzazz. That may be enough. Nice home! Congrats.
January 13, 2013 at 12:18pm   
cleigh2012
Decoenthusiaste,

No, I do not have cataracts...lol!
I took the pictures yesterday on a very sunny day when most light is coming in and no-one is home : ) In addition, my camera auto-enhances...trust me, it feels very dark and smothering.
The "Decatur Buff" color was beautiful in my friends one-story home which had lots of windows. We are in a 2-story home with covered porches and not very many windows and the color went very warm and gold.

I think I should have clarified that it is the very warm, gold color that is not working for me. In my previous home, I used Benjamin Moore BM170 which was a soft, buttery yellow with white trim AND we had light oak floors with lots of windows; I was very happy : ) I cannot go with a yellow, due to the Linen White trim (which, by the way is a pink beige/white).

Still happy to entertain any other ideas...
January 14, 2013 at 2:13pm   
Darzy
How about picking one of the dot colors on your accent chair? Can't really see the colors from here.
January 14, 2013 at 2:17pm   
collettec
If looking for a neutral, I would consider a light gray, or if you wanted some color, perhaps a light blue gray.
January 14, 2013 at 3:26pm   
sierra90
I agree with first comment, change the color in the ceiling. It can make the whole room feel dark and closing in on you. It's a pretty room!
January 14, 2013 at 6:33pm   
More Discussions
Too much marble?
Purchased house with bathrooms that have too much colorful...
Best cream paint??
Would like to go with change of paint all over the...
Best cream paint??
Would like to go with change of paint all over the...
Get the Look: Spring Wallpaper by Studio E
Want a more contemporary twist on floral wallpaper?...
Replace cabinets or repaint?
Purchased a house that has a lot of weird colors throughout...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.