Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for small front porch entry
jbroo55
January 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Where can I go to get some ideas on redesigning this front entry porch. Gone already are the tree & storm door. Gutters will be replaced and door is now red. We would like to go all the way across with a surface like stamped concrete or slate. Any ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dar Eckert

I love this stone walk. It would be helpfull if you had a photo of the entire front facade so that the entire facade coordinates.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 1:30PM
AMN
I agree with expanding the porch to the left.

I think a dark charcoal colored slate with little to no variation would look wonderful. It would ground the whole thing and pull out the darker gray from the brick. It might change your mind on the red door, but it's a good start.

Under the window, toward the corner, then, you can put a nice, big, glossy pot filled with beautiful, fluffy plants and maybe add a cute bench next to it.

Update the light fixture. Remove the "welcome" sign and the windchime. Maybe paint the house numbers darker or replace the plaque.

I've attached a pic of the slate color I'm thinking of. We used this on our front stoop too, and it looks fabulous!
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 1:35PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
A pergola would create a nice cover for your extended new front porch. That, plus plantings and seating will definitely give your home a new and happy look. I like the slate tile that AMN showed you above. gail olsen
Lake Country Builders
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 1:42PM
PRO
Dytecture
I agree, even a pergola would be nice. A photo taken further back showing the entire house is useful for us to see what is happening on either side of the entryway.

0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 1:49PM
Darzy
This porch is welcoming and perhaps not as costly as a concrete contractor. I like the painted wood and full width of the entry.

1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 1:59PM
jbroo55
Great advice everyone, thanks! Here are 2 more pictures, one before and one "so far". The light is already updated and the house number plaque will change. The house faces north and it is already dark enough in the front room so I probably won't go with a Pergola, although I do like them. We're in Michigan, so the surface has to be freeze resistant as well.
I was thinking charcoal too. That is our trim color, so would coordinate well.
The door will be replaced next year with maybe a craftsman style. We were going to go red again but do you think a wood finish will look nicer?
I'd like to get rid of the "argyle" window panels too.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 3:24PM
Darzy
I like your argyle window panels!
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 3:30PM
Dar Eckert
Yes, extending the porch and a slate floor would look lovely with your home and attractive with the red door. Then a bench like Darzy suggests or chairs & pots of flowers. Will be beautiful!
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 3:31PM
AMN
A darker finish on the garage door would further beautify your home.

I agree with your idea of taking down the argyles.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 3:39PM
lori70
Not sure on your budget, but you could keep the red brick riser then cover and extend the porch with bluestone. You could change your sidewalk to bluestone as well it would really bring out the grays in your brick.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 3:51PM
gillianlf
It looks like you already changed the trim color to bring out the grays in your brick, however it looks like you kept the yellower taupe in the window surrounds and possibly the siding over the garage. I would defiantly consider going with a lighter gray taupe color for these areas and the garage door as well to bring out the best in your brick and make it all more cohesive. And I think extending the entry across with slate top is also the way to go.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 4:03PM
gillianlf
You could also extend the porch out from the house all the way flush with the wall on the left if you are facing the house, as well as going all the way across the space.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 4:10PM
jbroo55
The old siding color was a yellowy tan. We have updated it with a nicer tan you can see in the soffits and left window surround. Also the garage door went tan now. It was real tough finding trim colors with this multi-color brick. It took at least 3 tries of samples.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:57PM
PRO
clayworks
Tie in your deep red door with a tile number plaque and lantern style wall sconce?
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 11:19AM