powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What do I do with this kitchen? I'm at an impasse!
hamptonurn
January 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
where do I place my double oven, cooktop and refrigerator in this small kitchen. I don't have a long wall, the longest wall appears to be at the window, and I have a sliding glass door that takes up one wall, and the other wall opens to what would be the dining area. I want to try to get an island in the kitchen, change the tile floors and get new cabinets. The feel of the kitchen is somewhat like the rest of the house feels - craftsman or tuscan. This is a rancher/farmhouse. My taste is modern and I like clean lines. I think I want the walls to go lighter than the red that's up there. My double oven is a Kitchen Aid, my cooktop is Bosch and I will purchase a new refrigerator. I really need some helpful feedback all. I want to get this project done by mid February. Thanks to all of you for your assistance with this project!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
sjmd42
I would definitely think about a skylight because it's in a dark location.
January 13, 2013 at 2:19PM   
thendrix58
I am stumped as you are about where to put your double oven. BUT, I think the easiest thing to brighten it up would be fresh, light paint! Track lighting with small halogen bulbs would also help! Good Luck!
January 13, 2013 at 2:33PM   
pennycaz
I would move the opening to the dining area along to create more wall space on the left for your oven. Prob put fridge on the right. Could you block up opening totally and open the other side out where there appears to be an empty window instead? I think a clean mixture of whites/woods/granite is always timeless. Good lighting essential. Halogens definitely best for working in. Hope this helps.
January 13, 2013 at 2:51PM     
gillianlf
I'm assuming the hardwoods are a living room space let me know if I'm wrong. And the pass through from the living room goes to the dining room. If formal dining is not a priority I would consider removing the wall between the kitchen and dining room completly creating a large eat in country kitchen. This would create a long wall that would accomodate a stove and double oven and possible a beautiful vent hood. The fridge could go on the wall next to the sliding doors and sink and dish washer can move to a large central island. I would also consider walling up the pass through, or making it an archway and closing up the smaller doorway, and put bar height eating area on the living room side of the island. Hang pendant lighting over the island and lighten up the paint throughout.
January 13, 2013 at 2:53PM   
hamptonurn
You are correct that the hardwood is a living room space, and the pass through from the living room goes to the dining room. However, behind the pass through, and just before the dining room are steps leading down to the basement. I love your other ideas - I'm not sure where your suggesting I put the island? Here are more photos. Thank you!
January 13, 2013 at 3:10PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.