powered by
Design Dilemma
Design Dilemma

What do I do with this kitchen? I'm at an impasse!

hamptonurnJanuary 13, 2013
where do I place my double oven, cooktop and refrigerator in this small kitchen. I don't have a long wall, the longest wall appears to be at the window, and I have a sliding glass door that takes up one wall, and the other wall opens to what would be the dining area. I want to try to get an island in the kitchen, change the tile floors and get new cabinets. The feel of the kitchen is somewhat like the rest of the house feels - craftsman or tuscan. This is a rancher/farmhouse. My taste is modern and I like clean lines. I think I want the walls to go lighter than the red that's up there. My double oven is a Kitchen Aid, my cooktop is Bosch and I will purchase a new refrigerator. I really need some helpful feedback all. I want to get this project done by mid February. Thanks to all of you for your assistance with this project!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
I would definitely think about a skylight because it's in a dark location.
    Bookmark   January 13, 2013 at 2:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
I am stumped as you are about where to put your double oven. BUT, I think the easiest thing to brighten it up would be fresh, light paint! Track lighting with small halogen bulbs would also help! Good Luck!
    Bookmark   January 13, 2013 at 2:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
I would move the opening to the dining area along to create more wall space on the left for your oven. Prob put fridge on the right. Could you block up opening totally and open the other side out where there appears to be an empty window instead? I think a clean mixture of whites/woods/granite is always timeless. Good lighting essential. Halogens definitely best for working in. Hope this helps.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 13, 2013 at 2:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
I'm assuming the hardwoods are a living room space let me know if I'm wrong. And the pass through from the living room goes to the dining room. If formal dining is not a priority I would consider removing the wall between the kitchen and dining room completly creating a large eat in country kitchen. This would create a long wall that would accomodate a stove and double oven and possible a beautiful vent hood. The fridge could go on the wall next to the sliding doors and sink and dish washer can move to a large central island. I would also consider walling up the pass through, or making it an archway and closing up the smaller doorway, and put bar height eating area on the living room side of the island. Hang pendant lighting over the island and lighten up the paint throughout.
    Bookmark   January 13, 2013 at 2:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
You are correct that the hardwood is a living room space, and the pass through from the living room goes to the dining room. However, behind the pass through, and just before the dining room are steps leading down to the basement. I love your other ideas - I'm not sure where your suggesting I put the island? Here are more photos. Thank you!
    Bookmark   January 13, 2013 at 3:10PM
Sign Up to comment
Related Discussions
I'm homeless with land to build on and a $20,000. budget What do I do?
I moved into my son's 6 acres , old 3bdr, 1sm. bathroom...
I'm NOT color blind.... I'm color STUPID :(
And desperately need help from y'all. We have a gutted...
I'm frozen...in fear, what do I do next?
I recently started updating my very traditional living...
More Discussions
Table Lamp
What table lamp do you think works well with this table...
What to do with our walls- master bedroom
We need bedside lamps and to decorate our walls in...
Green carpet dilemma!
We currently have gold on our walls. We r planning...
Dana Ellis
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
Please reconsider the green advice tag!
Do not like the "green" sign for "advice"....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.