Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Staircase decor
Samphy E.
January 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have been fussing over what to do with this staircase since we moved in almost a year ago. I've bought vases, tried color schemes.. But nothing seemed to work! I realized that I want something decorative but nothing fancy/ formal. I feel like whatever is on the shelves should have a general theme? Color? Should I go with vases?? The style of our house is contemporary rustic, although still very much in progress. I've attached pictures of the rooms that lead to the stairs.. Please help, I'm open!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I like the combination of items you have in photo 3. I would not put anything on the next ledge. Less is more!
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 2:23PM
blndlizzie
Perhaps hanging a big family pic or a few smaller ones on the wall above the banister ...
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 3:02PM
blndlizzie
I love the dining room... Very nice! where did you find the furniture and the wall art.. I love the wall art!!
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 3:04PM
AMN
I like the vases and Carolyn's advice.

The only different thing I'd suggest is doing one vase with some branches on the way up the stairs (the ledge to the left of the window)

Like the ones featured in this bathroom.
Dallas, TX: Lyndsey & Steve

Hey! Here we go. Bainbridge Island Residence
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 3:18PM
Samphy E.
Ah! Ok I was doing something right and don't have to get rid of the vases! Amn thanks for the suggestion, I will now be on the hunt for a cool vase to fit the second ledge.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:21PM
Darzy
I like the little round thing on a stand on the first ledge. For the next, something wood and sculptural and TALL on visible ledge would be fabulous. The wood would relate to your handrail. Nothing else. Let the piece be the "star". Something like one of these..maybe you can create something? : )

1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 7:26PM
Samphy E.
Blndlizzie thank you, the table is the Pottery Barn benchwright table that I absolutely love love! Bench is from Cost Plus World Market - napa bench. Chairs ikea. The artwork, believe it or not, I made. Bought a few primed mdf boards from Home Depot. They were 6ft. pieces, I had them cut to 3 ft. Bought sample paint and took a regular paint brush to it and took a sponge to give it a distressed look. Took me less than an hour to paint! Very easy and cheap, you should do it!
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 7:29PM
Samphy E.
Darzy that piece is beautiful! I wouldn't know where to begin to make my own... But wait they do sell the wood decor swirly pieces and cost plus, maybe I can glue all of them together somehow? Just need to figure out how to make a stand for it???
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:34PM
jenpa8
You'll be fighting that dated banister no matter what you do. If you want to amp up the rustic contemporary vibe you could go with some reclaimed wood or, if you think you can pull it off, a beefy rope with some interesting metal brackets. Then redo the carpet. Check out the pic for inspiration and tell me that you do not LOVE THIS!
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:40PM
Samphy E.
We actually plan to change the banister in a dark wood. In the meantime, keeping it simple... Found a large vase, went out to my back yard and cut a branch (we have lots of trees)... Love it and how dramatic it looks with the huge branch. Thanks for the suggestions! Photos don't do it justice!
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 2:19PM