Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Taking out wall, how to transition?
pmmucci
January 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This will be a low budget project. Still in the thinking phase.
My kitchen and dining room are currently divided by a non load bearing wall. I'd like to update the area and repurpose the dining room to a casual living area.

The kitchen and dining room are what you see when you walk up the split foyer steps and I don't especially want to look right into the kitchen stove, but do want to keep the modern open idea.

I'm stuck on how to transition from the kitchen stove to the dining room area. I need some counter space on the right side of the stove (will be moving it to the left a bit) and I would like some storage.
A small peninsula with glass cabinets above?
A small pass thru with a column of shelves?
Cabinets on either side of the sliding door?
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Darzy
uh oh. This will not be a low budget project. The soffit in the kitchen will mess up your plans for cabinets on the right of your stove. If you want to move the stove, it will cause a domino effect of the next thing that needs modified. The ceiling and floor will be damaged when you remove the walls. The flooring will need to be uniform in both spaces to look good.

How about for now just removing the walls and cover the top/bottom of wall space moudling and rearrange your furniture as you have in mind. (Leave only enough wall to cover the stove area). Then, you can play around with furniture placement.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 3:17PM
pmmucci
Thanks, didn't even think of the soffit's effect on the cabinet !
I did plan on new flooring, old vinyl is cracking (not low budget, I know) new counter height table and chairs and painting the cabinets, so maybe not so low budget after all. Guess I need ideas on how to transition and figure out the best idea for the money spent.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 3:27PM
gillianlf
If you do remove the wall and do nothing more like Darzy suggests (your best low budget solution) then you will free up space for an island or large console on the long opposite kitchen wall without obstructing traffic flow giving you more storage and counter space temporarily.
2 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 3:40PM
Darzy
Can you move the refrigerator and move stove over more? Here is an option for L shape, with the refrigerator on the right of the stove.

0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 3:47PM
Darzy
Can you show a picture of the sink/refrigerator side of the kitchen?
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 3:47PM
pmmucci
I don't think I can really move much, the stove and microwave slightly over to gain room.
I'm planning to replace the wall cabinet to the left of the stove because it is really too large. 4 feet! and replace the base cabinet next to the stove with drawers for pots.
The opposite wall is empty, where I plan to replace my table with a counter height table as a peninsula and maybe a piece of furniture to hold a tv to swivel into the dining room.
At least those are my thoughts. I'm open to another arrangement, but my hubby wants a table, not an island or peninsula. Hard enough sell on counter height : ).
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 4:39PM
More Discussions
basement needs style!
We have a large basement area that needs style help....
Need Help With Mom's Kitchen to Sell Her House
We need to sell Mom's house. We have a limited amount...
Help with flat screen TV
We have a Victorian home and want to hang a flat screen...
Where to put color in my white kitchen
I live in a trailer I have a small eat in kitchen with...
Need help picking out a H/C water faucet
Does anyone have any advice on pairing a H/C water...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.