powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Decorating help...paint color? curtains? Something isn't working.
ahunt09
January 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi,

Since moving into this house 7 months ago, I have painted the kitchen twice, and I'm tempted to do it again. I want a house that is elegant yet casual and inviting. I am not afraid of color. I first painted the kitchen brown, but it was too dark and over powering. Now we are onto green. I'm not sure I should change the shade of green, change the curtains to long ones, paint the cabinets, or ???

Any and all tips are appreciated! The current color is SW: Bamboo Shoot.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AMN
I think the green color is okay, but the valences are majorly competing with the backsplash. I would go with simple, clean roman shades that complement the colors in your kitchen. JCPenney is often a good source for well-priced roman shade options.

If you're open to repainting again, consider using the creamy color from the backsplash. I know it's not as fun as the green, but it would allow you to add color with your accessories. The creamy color will still look nice with the red.

Speaking of accessories, I think some editing is needed. I'm seeing many different colors and styles. Too many. Too disjointed.

Maybe, down the road, consider a new lighting fixture over the table.

Overall, it's a fun space!
7 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 4:02PM
ahunt09
Thank you for all your comments/suggestions!

I am up for repainting and redoing the curtains. I thought the curtains might need to go, but I wasn't sure what needed to adjusted. We do plan on updating the light fixture as well, we just have not gotten to that at this time.

Thank you for letting me know about the accessories as well. I will work on trying to streamline the style.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 4:06PM
ahunt09
One more question...what color roman shade would you suggest?
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 4:08PM
anitajoyce
I agree with AMN. The green is ok. I thought that a beige or tan color on all the walls would be nice also. lRemove everything from the top of the cabinets and remmove the valances.
2 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 4:18PM
Darzy
Can you raise the shelf by the stove and put the microwave there? That is a cute red table and too cute for the microwave. I agree to edit some of the accessories, especially on the top of the cabinets.
How about matchstick blinds for the windows? BTW...I think the wall color is fine. Love those chairs!

4 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 4:19PM
ahunt09
We've considered moving the microwave to above the stove, but haven't given it much thought because we haven't spent much time on updates yet. I will change the curtains (thanks for the pic...that helps!) and work on the decorations. I'm so glad I asked...you all have great suggestions!
The chairs and table were actually my grandparents. We'll probably replace at some point as well, but not any time soon!
2 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 4:25PM
ahunt09
Do you think long curtains around the bay windows would be too much? Stick with roman shade?
5 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 4:36PM
ahunt09
If this helps.. this is the living room/kitchen view.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 4:49PM
Darzy
I think long panels would soften the space nicely. I don't mean to put the microwave above the stove. I mean the open shelf that is there, raise the shelf and put the mircrowave on the shelf already there. It would also cozy it up to paint the ceiling a shade lighter of the walls.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 4:56PM
ahunt09
Sorry for not understanding about the microwave...the shelf does move. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the suggestion!
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 5:04PM
mangofoop
I think the wall color is fine- maybe you can paint the cabinets red to match the microwave's stand? You can also paint the dining room chairs to the same shade of red to tie it all together.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 6:58PM
ahunt09
I'm not sure I would paint the cabinets red, but painting the chairs is an option to consider. Thank you!
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:05PM
nikifilip
If you want color, but still want elegance try subtle. Although I am fond of the white family and find it to be the most elegant of colors (there are 100s of shades of white), look at Ben Moore's November Rain--it's a great color for tying in greens and browns and grays. I would definely cut the wall color in half for the ceiling. Bamboo or woven wood shades will warm the space and make it comfortable. There is nothing wrong with using a variety of textures and prints--it adds depth and character to the room. Traditional prints such as a toile (floral or French) with a stripe or a check are elegant, not overbearing, livable and welcoming. Search this sight and make sure to put 'elegant' in the search, I think that that will help guide you in the right direction---there is a difference between appropriate use of color and having your home look like a crayon box. Good luck!
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 7:22PM
nikifilip
One more thing--the dining light is way too high above the table--lower it. Typically, lighting should be 28 to 34 inches above a table.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:27PM
jenpa8
If you want to go elegant but casual you need to ditch the country cottage look that you have now. Just completely walk away from it,. Isn't it empowering to get rid of those things that do not help you get closer to your ideal look?! Changing paint on the walls, YES! And if you're comfortable with painting and you want big impact, paint the kitchen cabinets. Gray will go with your backsplash and give you a more sophisticated look. Take the doors off of a couple of cabinets so you have some open shelves to shows off some great news dishes and bowls.

If you want a hot look that makes the most of those big windows you could do big shutters, paint them gray along with the trim. If that's too much to spend then go with a roman shade in a coordinating fabric with more texture than print to soften and provide interest. Do a creamy white on the walls, nothing to stark, something that has a bit of the gray in it, but maybe a little bit of warm brown in there as well. Get rid of all the knick knacks on the cabinets, the tv tables, etc, get rid of the table cloth and paint the table and chairs black. Your kitchen will be completely transformed mostly through painting. See pic for inspiration.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 7:32PM
ahunt09
Thanks! You have great suggestions. I will look at that paint color and look for new window shades. What do you think about decorating above the cabinets?
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:38PM
theresajdiy
Wood matchstick blinds/shades would look great. Don't know that you would need "curtains" with those. Keep the chairs! They are neat. Are you wanting to play up the red as a accent color. Invest in some cabinet hardware too. eBay is a great source for lovely hardware. Larger and lower light fixture too. Does the lonely H go with some other letters?
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:44PM
ahunt09
The lonely H is the first letter of our last name. I'm not set an any one accent color, and can always paint the cabinet that the microwave is on. Thanks for the idea of blinds/shades. I will check out ebay for hardware too.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:51PM
orangecamera
Please don't paint those chairs. If you don't like them, please sell them to someone (like me) who will appreciate them the way they are. You can buy other chairs that are already black, or paint other chairs black. But those chairs are so nice the way they are! I've been searching Craigslist for chairs just like those.
4 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:56PM
nikifilip
Another suggestion....if you are going for elegance open cabinetry is a NO. That is either going to be too cottage/Martha Stewart or end up too contemporary which doesn't appear to be your style. I am not a nick nack person, so I am bias....if you do want to add decor above the cupboards key word elegant when looking at the kitchen pictures.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 8:03PM
ahunt09
We don't have the doors to the cabinet that is open. We have looked, but we don't know what the previous owners did with them. I've tried moving doors from the laundry area, but they don't fit. So an open cabinet is what's going to happen for now. While we want elegance, we are casual...this is our only dining area...so it's used for everything. I want something that is functional for every day, but mature...and I'm lost on this room. All of your comments have helped! I have a lot of thinking to do with this room, and I'm glad I posted pics for everyone's suggestions!
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 8:14PM
amhr
Dear ahunt09, you must be reeling from all these responses! Your style is nice. The Penney's bamboo blinds (which are actually very nice - I've seen them) would be great. (Because of the paint colors I am going to suggest, get the rich, medium brown wood color, not the dark one and not the pale one.) I do like the idea of long curtains but you have an awful lot of windows, so you might have to save for them! I can see why you used the top of the cabinets for accessories, because they are a bit short, but this is actually creating a cluttered look that is fighting with the streamlined, modern backsplash tile. The green walls are pleasant, but contrast so much with the oak-y cabinets that it calls too much attention to them. Consider a neutral that complements the backspash (try the one suggested earlier or BM Coastal Fog) for the walls (and if you go fairly light, you can do the ceiling the same color) and paint the cabinets a warm grey, as suggested by another writer. Painting them and adding hardware would give them a higher-quality appearance and achieve your goal of "elegance." Be careful not to get a blue-grey, but pick a warm, rich grey, but NOT as dark as the countertops, and use a satin (not semi-gloss) finish paint. Benjamin Moore has an awesome new paint just for cabinets. Definitely move the microwave to the open shelving in the kitchen (you'll have to add an outlet.) If your faucet set is bronze, bronze hardware on the cabinets would be good. A bronze fixture would also look awesome in a light fixture over the table and in one of your photos I see a dark fixture in the kitchen, so they'll coordinate. The fixture should be simple, to go with your modern dining set, which should set the style for the room generally. This means that the cottage-y red table and any other cottage-y accessories go to another room.

In the view from the living room that you posted, the curtain would look much better if the rod was mounted on the wall about halfway between the window opening and the ceiling. Some of the wall will show but it won't matter. It will be much better proportioned and make the ceiling appear higher. I like the dark rod.

Now if I could decide what color to paint my bathroom...
3 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 10:13PM
ahunt09
Thank you amhr. I've actually enjoyed all the suggestions because I haven't been happy with this room since moving in. I was starting to get frustrated because I wasn't sure if what I do next was male it look worse or actually improve it. So thank you for the paint colors and window treatment suggestions. These comments are exactly what I was hoping for!
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 4:59AM
PRO
Design Mode
You have great height in your tray ceiling, a wonderful 'elegant' architectural feature, so emphasize it! Your collection above the upper cupboards draws the eye away from the loftiness. You can add an inexpensive 6" high crown moulding to top your cupboards, if they will be painted. Then lofty abounds.
Also, add height by raising your curtains and/or new blinds above each window by 8" or so.
I like your big pots, they could be placed on the counter.
Your chairs say it all. Everything in the room should make them look good. That means saying goodbye to country-crafty-flowery-cute stuff and hello to fab-mad-mod. You will love the new look.
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 6:11AM
ahunt09
I would have never thought so many people would like the chairs! Thank you for additional suggestions.
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 8:22AM
theresajdiy
A simple ceiling medallion might add some interest to those lovely tray ceilings with a new light fixture. Finish the H out with the whole name, could be styled anyway from country to elegant.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 8:51AM
ahunt09
I really like this idea, and probably would have never thought of adding one. I will look for one when we change the light fixture.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 9:17AM
jenpa8
Fight the urge to decorate above your cabinets. It doesn't help the "elegant" part of elegant and casual. But what would look cool and is really inexpensive is to get a few small uplights to create a glow. Lighting is so critical, yet so often overlooked. In cabinet, above cabinet and below cabinet lighting should all be considered.
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 9:27AM
ahunt09
Thanks for the lighting tip. We will have to consider it when we update the lighting.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 9:52AM
hamburgerbudget
Looks like your kitchen has less storage than mine. A pantry cabinet from a big box store may fit where the microwave is. You maybe able to modify the shelving arrangement, or door to fit your microwave in it. They have ones stained and unfinished.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 9:55AM
PRO
Doreen Schweitzer Interiors, Ltd.
I think the green is OK as well. I agree with getting rid of the accessories above the cabinets. The furniture seems more streamlined and contemporary than traditional. The blinds could stay or you could replace them with bamboo shades as suggested but the top treatment should be placed 6" above the window and outside of the window well. I feel you do need some fabric either way. You have a lot of hard surface in that room. A linen fabric in a light beige such as one of the tile shades with a green band trim would look good or a stripe pattern such as a small pinstripe. A faux roman shade type of valance would be more tailored but still soften the look or cornices are a good suggestion. I like the idea of the lighting above the cabinets. An area rug in a simple brown or green geometric would also soften all the hard surfaces. Make sure it is at least 30" larger than the table on all sides. Look at the Dundee collection in the PIR catalog. Would you consider replacing the tile? It is very busy and seems to be the source of a lot of challenges in the room. I find the idea of beige walls to be too boring. The green makes the stain color of the cabinetry pop.
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 10:21AM
ahunt09
Thanks. We actually have lots of cabinet space to store items with an island and more cabinets in the area with the sink (not pictured). There's a smaller pantry that works for us right now. There's just not a lot of room to decorate, but I guess the windows and backsplash do more decorating than I thought.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 10:21AM
amhr
I do not believe a ceiling medallion would be appropriate over that modern table. Those are a traditional accent.
2 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 10:27AM
ahunt09
The table is actually at least 30-40 years old. Maybe older. I guess it has a modern look.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 10:29AM
orangecamera
"Mid-Century (modern)" refers to the middle of the 20th century. That was, gasp, 60-ish years ago. Those chairs appear to be from that time.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 10:39AM
ahunt09
Thanks for clarifying! :-)
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 11:07AM
Terri
Warning: More advice headed your way...

Your kitchen is a great, large space.

Gray tones on the wall will help balance the warmth of all that wood. Honey toned woods tend to have a lot of yellow and can sometimes clash with other yellow toned colors like greens, oranges and even some creams and beiges. I would start with a gray that isn't too industrial, but has warm brown undertones.If you look at paint strips you'll see there are at least 50 shades of gray lol. The domed ceiling is already a big bright space, giving the room a cathedral feel, but currently there is nothing to draw the eye up and keep it there. It's as though the room ends at the top of the green wall. By painting a lighter shade of gray you won't have such a drastic contrast. Then go with long drapes that just frame the windows, in a pattern of deep grayish brown, a touch of yellow and some white. Choose a rich espresso colored rod and raise the height a bit closer to the ceiling to add architectural interst. Tall parsons chairs would work nice in your kitchen around your table. Cover two of them in the drape pattern and choose a solid leather for the others. Then you won't need a tablecloth for contrast. A glass centerpiece on the table will reflect the natural and ambient light.

The open kitchen cabinet is great and saves the space from being too symmetrical, but consider painting the back of the open cabinet a rich, warm gray like your countertop. This will draw the eye to your displayed items and make them pop and make the space look purposeful instead of coming across as though you're missing a door to the cabinet. Add a small light to the open cabinet above each shelf for a soft glow.

A larger light fixture will help keep the room in scale. I agree it needs to be lower, but consider a double drum fixture, which will shine light down as well as up. That will help create warm shadows on the ceiling.

Keep the red as your punch color as long as it's not a "blue red". The microwave table is a great start but I think it's too short for your kitchen as it draws the eyes down. Putting shelves up that wall might compete too much with your open cabinet, but another thing you could do with the space is to put a long wall mounted wine rack on the wall called a riddling rack. You could move the microwave cabinet out of that space and get a very long riddling rack or mount a smaller one above the microwave chest where it is now. Picture attached.

Lastly I would add a rug beneath the table to pull the colors together and to bring some of the backsplash colors to that side of the room. Thanks for giving us a chance to play in your house!
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 11:54AM
ahunt09
I love some of your ideas! This is the first room I have posted on this website for help...I wish I would have done this for every room before we started painting. This has been so helpful!!
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 1:00PM
ahunt09
OK...put samples of paint on the wall...which one do you like best? The color closest to the cabinet is the same color closet to the window (the shadow from the cabinet is making it look darker). Sooo....ignoring the 1st color b/c of the shadow, the colors are
1. BM: Gray Mirage
2. BM: Coastal Fog
3. BM: November Rain
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 7:38PM
Darlene Rantala
Your kitchen looks like alot of fun. i agree with alot of the notes above. First of all, your green is a very warm tone. And yes your valances need to go. A solid color valance in suede brown/olive tone with grommets on a pewter rod would look amazing. Your collection above the cabinets could minimized and somewhat grouped for a story. The tV tables should be re-located as well. You'll know where they are when needed. The light fixture is too small for the space.A bit lower and more spider like would balance. A solid color tablecloth could look neater. Be happy in your kitchen, its where we build so many memories. :) oh and keep tea towels off your stove handle once dry!
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 8:01PM
Terri
I love the Gray Mirage! It has such depth of color and from your picture it looks like it works well with the backsplash and the wood tones. I'm sure it looks different in all lights as well as day and evening. The coastal fog has a bit too much brown and I think the November rain may be so light it might weigh down the backsplash side of the room. With a good nuetral like the gray mirage you should have no trouble finding fabric or rug patterns. Live with a big swatch of whichever you choose for a few days and then decide!
2 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 8:06PM
pcmom1
I would take off the valances and replace blinds with wood blinds that match your floor. I would replace the free standing microwave with one that fits over the stove (fan built in.) I would add doors to the right hand cabinet and clear most of the things from the top of the cabinets.

That huge expanse of white ceiling is kind of over load. I would take your paint color up on to the angled section and then paint the very top in a warm beige.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 8:12PM
ahunt09
@ Terri, thanks! I'm leaning towards the gray mirage or coastal fog. I'm waiting to see what they look like in the morning. I agree that the November rain looks too light.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 8:19PM
doorsopen
Hello aHunt09! First- I love that table and chairs. Those seats are so very current with its retro look. Do not chuck those; people were snapping up every set of those things at Round Top last fall for the mid-century modern look. Also, I love your H's as we are H's, too. We bought a home within the last year with nearly the same color floors, cabinets, and with identical wall paint. My very patient husband is putting up with me painting the walls because he does not want creamy-colored cabinets. I am breaking up with my green, as I have soaring ceilings, and I want to make the room less cut up by the creamy white ceiling, my green walls, and cabinetry. (My green walls break off at the ceiling, and make my room look shorter.) It's a dare, and I have to say, it is the best primer if I change my mind when I do it soon, but I am thinking of going white on the walls, a bit lighter and less yellow than Navajo White. Maybe you could try that? It will make for a very bright and cheerful space. I am a color person and suspect that you are, too. But consider making the walls flow into the ceiling, and letting the accessories and backsplash be your color pops in the room. Also, this thought, and I do not know how much cash you want to throw at these great windows, but try one of two drapes- either Pottery Barn's Peyton Grommet drapes in Oatmeal (This drape goes with every wall in your house- try it!!) or JCPenney's Sonoma Cindy Crawford grommet Drape in Sullivan Khaki. The Sonomas are what I found after I pumped all my "fun money" into the living room drapes. I used the Sonomas everywhere else- and I like them just as well, for half (or more) of the price of the PB's. (Forgive me, Pottery Barn, I still love you. I just have to get 'round you sometimes...) You can always do sheers to allow light into the room, too. Those drapes are very forgiving, will last the test of time even if you change your wall color five more times, and will accent a very pretty piece of your home's architecture.

Here are some Houzz photos to inspire you with painting the walls brighter... search: "Norwood Residence David Neiman Architects"; "La Belle Phil Kean Designs"; "Omega Kitchens Celia James" ; or "Brookemeister My Modesto, CA kitchen". If you search "oak" or "maple cabinets" on Houzz, you will find tons of examples of paint with that look.

Good luck to you and please remember to upload your final choices sometime. Thank you for letting us make suggestions with your home.
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 8:35PM
Terri
They are both lovely colors. We use Benjamin Moore a lot and they are really beautiful paints. Post some after pictures!
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 8:48PM
amhr
Thought you might enjoy this photo of a Decor Magazine layout in which the gorgeous great room is painted coastal fog on both walls and ceiling. One of my favorite rooms. Whatever color you choose, do live with it and observe how it will interact with all your other choices for a few days. And one final thought - don't forget how texture helps make rooms cozy, i.e the bamboo or woven wood shades and curtain and other fabrics. You're well on your way to the handsome space you want.
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 8:56PM
PRO
Deborah Vanderzel Designs
I think the Grey Mirage looks best, consider taking it all the way to include the ceiling
Good luck and keep us posted
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 9:03PM
cgsteinman
In skimming all these comments, I don't think anyonw suggested some cabinetry hardware. If you are repainting in a rich gray and adding wood blinds/shades, don't forget that cabinet hardware can add a really polished look to your cabinetry.
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 9:09PM
Sadiesammie
If it were my kitchen, I would keep the wall color the same. I would never paint my cabinets. Add some more of the red. Red roman shades or long red drapes that go from ceiling to floor. A few inches longer to rest on the floor would bring a little elegance, if that's a look you are going for. See pic below, but imagine red.
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 9:17PM
cguigan
Definately love the gray mirage and think this will look much more modern than the cottage green you have at the moment.
As commented before me pleeeease dont paint the chairs!
Neutral roman blinds (almost the same as the gray mirage colour maybe a shade or two lighter) would look really nice and give a bit of texture without the hassle of long curtains (mopping under them is a pain in a high traffic area and if you get dust bunnys they will congregate at the bottom of them). I would look to place a false "valance" style addition to the romans to make your windows look like they start just under the slope of the ceiling giving a bit of height.
Love your floors as is (I dont know if you have small kids but if you do would stear clear of the rug under the table. hahahaha).
I would look at replacing the kitchen cabinet doors instead of painting them, that way you could go for wood, giving a natural, warm and elegant finish.
Again as has been said before me your nik naks are killing your look. donate anything that says country (i.e entire top of your cupboards and everything except the H in the open cupboard)
The red of your table mats and small cupboard can be carried through in your teatowels, table setting and serving ware to bring the whole look together.
Good luck :)
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 9:24PM
Terri
Good morning all! The ceiling seems to be a recurring theme in several posts here and in truth it can be both blessing and curse. The height and shape are designed to be a focal point of the room and yet what to do to show it to its full glory? It would be great if you could add crown moulding to the kitchen where the paint color currently ends and then another moulding further up where the actual ceiling begins. If you did that you could paint the angled areas the same color as the straight walls or even introduce a third color. The moulding will act as a picture frame, showcasing the interesing angles. It does add considerable cost to the budget, but you can still achieve similar results without moulding by taking drapery rods to just below the area where the angled walls begin. The light colors you are considering would work well.

Also, I still believe narrow, window framing drapes will work great, but if you don't go with drapes, consider adding moulding to the tops and sides of the windows along with the roman shades or blinds. Hope you're excited about your project and so many possibilities!
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 7:52AM
ahunt09
Thanks for the moulding ideas. I would have never thought to do 2 different moulds. I'll have to play arounds to see what works best for us.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 10:11AM
Aja Mazin
The glass mosaic back splash is too loud.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 10:22AM
ahunt09
Still figuring out paint colors...but I've found this picture with the darker floors, but lighter bamboo shades and rug. This is a living room, but I thought I could do something like this in the kitchen (w/ the shades and rug). I'm going to skip on painting the cabinets for now.
Do you think this would be okay (the roman shades and rug) for the kitchen?

Traditional Living Room design by Milwaukee Interior Designer Interior Changes home design service:
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 6:57PM
ahunt09
What if I just redo the backsplash to something like this:
2 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 7:11PM
Aja Mazin
Bingo!
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 7:16PM
ahunt09
And that would look okay with the cabinets? Do you think picking a paint color would be easier as well?
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 8:40PM
cdpearman
Your kitchen has a casual appearance. I would go with your vintage/country theme and paint your cabinets a creamy white (not too yellow), or a fairly flat charcoal grey black. I would then distress the edges a bit by sanding some of the paint off, revealing some of the wood color beneath, also an option at this point to glaze the cabinets with a darker translucent color, settling into the creases and the sanded, porous areas.Check out any cabinet maker website (eg Huntwood cabinets) for an example of what they could look like. I would agree that the objects on top of the cupboards be removed, The valances need to be removed. No need to replace them with anything, but if you prefer, I would use a solid color in a linen, or pick one of the colors from your backsplash, except the green, as this would overpower the use I believe)The table and chairs look great. If you plan on re-painting, I would caution that if you use a creamy color, your blinds will look too stark white, or your walls dingy. If you paint, or even if you don't, I suggest dark wood blinds for a fabulous more rich, yet casual look (and you can get pretty good inexpensive replicas if you prefer ) . A fun option for the chairs would be to paint four the same color, distressing them as the cabinets, with a glaze over them as well. Black would be nice with a red glaze (which only settles into the creases/sanded areas or leave the wood as is( The other 2 chairs can be painted a different color Maybe the dark brownish color from your backsplash, distressed the same way with a black glaze over. I would get rid of the microwave cart and replace it with an upper and lower cabinet section to match your current cabinets, or a taller micro stand.Black iron knobs or pulls on all your cabinets would add interest. Your table can be painted, or left alone if you always use a table cloth.Looks great. Good luck.
Diana
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 8:51PM
Aja Mazin
ahunt09,

Yes!
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 9:14PM
ahunt09
My current table requires a tablecloth... Is painting/protecting it easy to do so that a tablecloth is not needed? Or would you suggest having it done?
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 6:00PM
ahunt09
New paint and curtains/some of the decor is down! More improvements from the suggestions to come. Thank you! New paint color is SW: kilim beige
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 6:45PM
AMN
Looking good so far! Thanks for the update.
1 Like   April 14, 2013 at 6:48PM
donnasd
Hi ahunt09. Could you run pics from different angles around the entire space? I feel like there are major things we haven't seen yet that might affect the advice you're getting.

With this being your only dining area, you might want to dress it up a little more and at the same time, keep it practical enough for every day. I know I'd never put a rug under the table- it's impossible to keep clean! Especially when you're using it 3 times a day every day of the week. Don't know if you have kids, but even an adult can spill something or knock something over sometimes.

Like orangecamera said above, I think your dining set is just beautiful like it is! As for window treatments, I like the elegant white ones shown in the mock-up you ran near the beginning of your post.

I also believe you should remove the decor above the cabinets; even the nicest decorative objects almost always, when spaced intermittently, look kind of snaggle-toothed. One idea is to very tightly group objects with something in common. NOT in the top-center of cabinetry, but all at one end. This might be a little tricky though, with the look that you're going for. If you end up with dark paint on the wall & dark cabinets, a small group of simple white china at at the location farthest from the table might really pop up there.

I think, if it's possible, that lowering the light fixtures would also be good. Now, if this eating area is functioning as your de facto dining room, you need to do a couple of things.
1. See if you can find another location for your trash can. Even though it's a attractive one, you'd never put a visible trash can in a dining ROOM
. 2. I think that you might try a couple of things with the space where your microwave is now. Removing the small red cabinet, the m'wave & the t.v. trays will allow you have a more definitive D.R. You could try putting a tall plant in an impressive planter there. If this spot gets enough natural light from your bay of windows, you'd be able to have a pretty large real plant there. The alternative is to find a beautiful faux tree to place there. With either of those or the the wine rack, suggested by Terri, you'll be giving the illusion that these are 2 separate 'zones'. Also, a really gorgeous folding screen does double duty as a beautiful work of art AND an effective room divider. Any of these items would help to delineate these areas as visually separate food prep & dining areas.
0 Likes   April 14, 2013 at 10:02PM
More Discussions
What should I do with this faux fireplace?
We moved into a brand new home and our decorator designed...
paradox44
Painting an IKEA vanity
I'm putting an IKEA Godsmorgan vanity into my kid's...
mamabossinthelbc
New apartment!
Just moved in. Here's a few photos of the living and...
Julian Velez
Skylights vs. Dormer
We've been presented with two options for bringing...
pxlgirl
Yes or no to having a garbage disposal?
My contractor friend who does massive houses ( with...
Diane Mazefsky
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.