Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen Dilema
amcox_us
January 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Is there ANY way that some can show me how the following combination looks? I'm building a home and not want to use a different cabinet/countertop/floor combination. I plan to use the following pictures. The cabinet color us the attached. The floor will be the 3rd sample from the left, Coffee Bean(darkest). The countertop is Ivory Brown. The picture doesn't do it justice. It isn't that brown. The fourth picture is a slab of the granite. It's a lighter granite, than the pictures depicts. I'm not sure how it will all look.

I also plan to paint the walls beige, gray, pewter, or something like that. I will strive to pull the color from the granite.

Is there any other examples that people can share or software I can use? Any and all help will be appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amcox_us
?
January 15, 2013 at 3:28PM   
PRO
Eagledzines
Do a 'story board' used by interior designers. Take actual pieces (you might have to buy a drawer front of the cabinets). Stain a piece of the actual wood that will be used on the floor - get a sample from whomever or wherever you will be buying the flooring. Use the actual top coat that will be used on your floor. Get a sample of the actual granite. A granite fabricator should be able to give or sell you a sample. Put these all on a piece of heavy cardboard (use cardboard from a box if you have to). Take it to the paint store and hold the paint samples that you are interested in, up against all these pieces together. You will be in a much better position to know if you're going to like the combinations. Word of caution though--paint on a chip doesn't always look like it does on the wall, so get a sampler and put it on your wall and hold the story board up against it. You'll be able to tell how it's going to look better in your own house under the natural and artificial lights in your own house instead of the store's lighting.

It's difficult for anyone to know if you are going to like something. One reason is that everyone's monitor shows colors differently and because the picture isn't true color.
January 16, 2013 at 7:43PM     
PRO
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
So true, eagledzines! Getting samples of the actual products and putting them all together is the only way you will be able to get an idea of what it will look like. Your cabinet company should be able to get you a "strike-off" which is an actual door in the wood and the stain you've chosen. As for the paint, buy a small amount and paint 2 coats on a piece of foamcore. The floor sample may be gotten from the flooring retailer. The only problem you will have is with the granite--stone slabs are unique and even if you get a sample, it may not be the actual slab you choose. The stone yard isn't going to chip off a piece of the slab just to give you. So I suggest you gather your samples and bring them to the stone yard and select your slab to coordinate with your cabinets, flooring and paint.

Do not rely on computer images--they are notoriously unreliable.
January 16, 2013 at 8:03PM   
PRO
Eagledzines
The stone company i used to use had boxes of made up samples that were 4"x4". That was handy but Diana is correct. Stone slabs have a lot of variance between slabs.--Good point.
January 16, 2013 at 8:06PM   
judianna20
I see the cabs and the floor together, but not your countertops. I think it is kind of bland. I suggest white counters, either white granite or quartz and Stratton Blue (BM) on the walls. And a pretty blue glass subway tile for your back splash.
January 16, 2013 at 8:12PM     
amcox_us
This is a closet look of the granite and cabinet/counter top combination.
January 18, 2013 at 8:37PM   
csj953
Mya cabinets look the same colour.see my ideabook
January 20, 2013 at 9:54PM   
amcox_us
CAJ953, I can't seem to see your pics.
January 22, 2013 at 10:59AM   
PRO
By Design EK
If you can make room in your budget you may want to hire an interior Designer. A good one will work with you hourly or you can discuss your needs and they can quote you a price. Ask them to take the samples you like and put together a rendering for you. This will be either computer or hand drawn and colored so you can truly see the balance of the colors. The advantage to this is the designer can also help you pull in the other items you will need like hardware, lighting, etc. if you are building this help could be invaluable. Also consider the designer can help you coordinate with other areas of the home and will more than likely make good design suggestions for you. I am all for DIY but with so many details needing to be addressed a little help would take the pressure off and help you feel confident that the end result will match your expectations.
January 22, 2013 at 11:10AM     
PRO
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
GREAT point, North Bay Homes! Many cabinet retailers have designers on staff who can help you as well.
January 22, 2013 at 12:26PM