Professionals
Users
Mantle decoration ideas
verburgs
January 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Picture? Candles? Other ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AMN
Could you post photos of other portions of the room, please? A mantle's decor needs to relate to the rest of the space.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 6:52PM
jenlaird04
You can place a large silver framed mirror in the center and add hanging family pictures in black and white around the mirror.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 6:53PM
kmislick
Definitely a mirro or maybe even two identical ones. Candles and a beautiful silk flower arrangement (like cream tulips) would soften the look.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 7:02PM
Sue Ann Stevens
I can understand why you may be puzzled. In a traditional setting the decor would be above the fireplace. In yours, it seems the mantel extends only to the left. Is that right? For a contemporary look, large, large artwork over fireplace and 3-5 tall vases or pottery balancing on the left side. Something should go underneath these with a little more visual weight than the wrought iron piece.
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 5:10AM
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
A large mirror over the fireplace, and then some larger candle holders along the other side to break up all the brick. There is a lot of it!
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 5:15AM
Sue Ann Stevens
For a more traditional look, ignore the left side of the mantle and leave it unadorned. Hang or lean some artwork or mirror above fireplace, balance decor on the sides or front with 3 different height candles on one side, books or a topiary on the other for example.

Last suggestion if the fireplace is not the centered focal point of your room--use the whole mantel for a collection of tasteful items: variety of lanterns, pillar candles (varied heights, same color), similar artwork, large and varied sizes but similar frames. I could see black and white ink drawings of the same subject all with black frames for example. How about a collection of mirrors, all leaning, different sizes, some square, some round or oval, with antiqued or distressed white frames? Any of these ideas obviously depend on what you have elsewhere and your actual style and taste. And this downplays the fireplace itself as the focal point, if it doesn't need to be.
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 5:30AM
verburgs
Thank you all for your ideas. I had previously dismissed the idea of a mirror because of the height of the ledge relative to a person , but will try it anyway! Yes, the problems with decorating this space have always been the off center fireplace and the vast space under neath the shelf on the left side. Over the 10 plus years we've lived here, I've tried different approaches and never really loved any. The wrought iron piece is a plant holder (minus plants at the moment, but when full of leafy foliage that helps balance the wall. ). All ideas are appreciated.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 9:38AM
verburgs
Another shot of room. Thanks for asking!
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 6:14PM
AMN
I like what black accents do in that room--especially against the brick. I tend to agree with hmschoolmom about keeping accessories off the left side of the mantle. You can balance the whole look with keeping something toward the left on the hearth.
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 7:28AM
Nancy Hehmann
You have a lovely room. I would do as most have said and hang 1 large mirror or a piece of artwork. I would avoid hanging multiple pieces of art or anything onto the brick because you will be making permanent holes. I totally dismissed buying a house where the people had multiple items hung from brick because of the permanent holes that are made. What would the next person be able to do with them? If you do want some beautiful hand blown glass to adorn your mantel, go to Blenko (google it) website. They are located in the US and have been making it for years. I think it is great to buy American made rather than China and so many glass manufacturers have gone out of business. It might even become an heirloom.
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 9:05AM
intoit
If you decide to only make over the fireplace the focal point you should take the left spotlight and move the direction of the light so it does not play up a blank brick wall.
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 9:30AM