Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Cabin Kitchen Redo
weddl002
January 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have a cabin kitchen that needs to keep the rustic (hubby) touch but be a remodel. We are opening up the kitchen by taking down an overhead cabinet over the counter, plus we have ordered the undercounter refrig/freeze...to totally open the bar area. NOW. I need ideas for cabinet colors, textures, countertop, flooring.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weddl002
This the other living area of the cabin that will open up to an open concept. (yes, i know the rug is to modern and via the hubby is going back home. Also, the logs have an orange tone as they are cedar
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:03PM
apple_pie_order
Are you painting the current cabinets, the panelling, and the rest of the cabin? It looks like a warm and friendly place. Those huge log beams are impressive.

You may want to get additional closed storage to replace the cabinet you are taking down and then add even more to help you keep the counters clear. Add more electrical outlets to reduce trailing cords. Brighter lighting flush to the ceiling would be good, with no place for moths to enter and die. In my experience, the fewer things stored in a cabin to get dusty, the better.

As for flooring, if the cabin has an open floor plan, you'd probably want to consider using the same easy-clean mid-tone flooring throughout. Off white laminate countertops would be fine.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 7:09PM
weddl002
I could paint, or have custom cabinets, etc.--I am so lost on this....
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:11PM
weddl002
Here is the outside of the cabin...tons of log and wood..on interior drywall..Massive logs
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:14PM
weddl002
what about the color of wood for the new kitchen cabinets? black-weathered, or match logs, or weather barnboard, or or or or :(
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:18PM
vickimager
reclaimed wood? Acorn Millwork in northern Minnesota has an amazing selection and showroom
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:25PM
weddl002
I will look into Acorn... Thanks
Please keep all ideas coming... So excited
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:28PM
Sue Ann Stevens
Knotty pine is common but if you want a contrast, I think distressed or antiqued painted cabinets look lovely in a cabin. Here is a mag cover with green and another pic with a blue/gray which both look nice against the wood if you want a contrast.
2 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:28PM
theresajdiy
Seems kinda dark--something to brighten it up? Add some color? http://www.artisankitchensandbaths.com/Project/CabinFever http://www.cabins-r-us.com/log-home-kitchens.html
Good luck
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:31PM
Sue Ann Stevens
It looks like parquet tiles are in the current kitchen. Have you considered a replacement? Brick flooring looks amazing in log homes. Check out portstone.com for brick pavers the thickness of ceramic.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:35PM
weddl002
Yes, yes, yes...I would still be thinking sorting and looking...I am getting a vision....
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:40PM
weddl002
If I went with a rustic looking painted black or greenish colored cabinets what about countertops?
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 7:47PM
katelyndunkel
Maybe light butcher block counters or light creamy granite?
And to add storage, if there's enough room, you could add another row of cabinets on the outside of the bar area. What about moving your stove to the bar area, overlooking the family room. Then you could have a regular refrigerator in the place of the stove? Just a thought.....I'm not quite sure if I even think that's a good idea yet. Just brainstorming. Good luck and have fun with it though! So fun! :)
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 8:25PM
weddl002
We thought the same thing about moving the refrig tooo ;)
Nothing done except moving the overhead cabinet
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 8:29PM
E Klo
I would maybe want to paint the cabinets to bring them out from the wood beams & walls. Maybe a paint (red, green, etc.) that is distressed to look old & broken in:

[houzz=Cozy Kitchen]
[houzz=Reproduction Peoria, IL. Saltbox House]
[houzz=Caruth Home - Fall 2012/Winter 2013]

For counters.. I'd go with a thick butcher block:
[houzz=Bonnie Bagley]

Or even a rustic Granite that is local to where your cabin is at:
[houzz=Kimberly Cole Design]
[houzz=Traditional Kitchen]

Can't wait to see the finished update!
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 8:37PM
mveasey
Hi
Beautiful cabin you have!
Lots of options here. I will attach some photos. Rustic can mean different things, as in not just the cabinets will make the place look rustic.
This is a cabin and a place to unwind, personally I would keep the colours neutral. I would stay away from knotty Pine, it might make your kitchen look dated. Im worried if you paint it black it might swallow all the light and be depressing...green does not look too bad...i would not do butcherblock counters, you have enough wood around, inside and out.
How about simple Shaker cabinets with wrought iron handles. A lighter or darker colour granite countertop, even up in the back as a backsplah and a slate floor. River rocks on the front side of the bar.
Dont forget to remind your husband, that if he wants you to come along, you have to like the place too...I love the rug, Nice choice! You have good taste, trust your instincts.
First photo: similar to your kitchen cabinets in green
Second Photo: green but different cabinet style
Third photo: light countertop, rustic edge, tile flooring
Fourth photo: personal favourite, best depiction of idea.
2 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 11:17PM
cyn222
Totally love the looks of the idea rooms above. Hope you pick a color from there for your cabinets. Will be incredible and you will have wife smiling and hubby!
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 11:40PM
Sue Ann Stevens
Depending on what you do at the cabin (large family gatherings or usually only the two of you) would be a consideration as to your bar and countertop decisions. Just the two-put the stove on the island so you can chat while cooking. Family get togethers? Keep the stove where it is, find another place for the fridge (window wall? Photo vantage point?) to keep the wide open counter for buffets, party food and extra eating space.
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 4:40AM
Sue Ann Stevens
If you go with green or black cabinets, I think the gray toned granite (or whatever surface) would look stunning. White/creamy colors without much pattern would lighten it but may also make it a little bland. You have a beautiful cabin that can be a real knockout with some color.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 4:59AM