Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
chairs for sunroom
Alexandra Opie
January 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm working on furnishing our sun room. The house is a 1925 dutch colonial - but I don't think that matters much since I'm not trying to go vintage with the style. It does mean that the spaces aren't huge and so oversized furniture won't work. The sunroom is visible from our living room through windows that connect the two (so I'm attaching a picture of our current living room furniture). It is more of a reading room (I want to have my morning coffee there) than a mud-room.

The sunroom floor is fir. The walls are a warm cream, trim is white. I have several pieces I'm thinking of using in the room but they could also go elsewhere if any don't end up fitting.

I have an Eames knockoff molded plywood lounge chair in a light wood color and a reddish coffee table made from a vintage table and glass top. I have a rug that I could use in the room or I can get another oriental rug if color ends up being a problem. (pictures of all attached)

I have room for two more upholstered chairs - I've been debating between buying new or having re-upholstered. I have one round-back chair (pictured) that I am thinking of having re-done.

Any ideas of what would look good? I've looked at Crate and Barrel furniture and like the Narita chair but think the very dark wood would be too prominent. I've thought of doing two upholstered chairs one with more wood showing than the other for variation and most likely coordinating but not matching fabrics. I don't want to get too much going on in the room - too many patterns, colors of wood etc.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Alexandra
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
I like the shape of the round back chairs and the color, too. I'd keep 2 chairs the same in a small area. Re-upholstery is expensive, new chairs might be a better option. Otis Swivel Chair Leyland Armless Chair with Lumbar Pillow

Inner Sunset Residence
January 16, 2013 at 4:51PM   
Alexandra Opie
Thanks for your comment. I'm liking the chairs you posted and also the chairs that come up on the side - as other's like these - when I look at them. Thanks!
January 16, 2013 at 6:59PM     
Manon Floreat
Your rug is really pretty. I think a settee would look great against the wall. That, your tufted arm chair (which matches the blue in the Oriental perfectly) and coffee table make a nice grouping. I the plywood chair would look super cute draped in a sheepskin throw - or even a pillow to match your rug.

Sutton Sofette

AHM Headquarters (my home) Fall 2012
January 16, 2013 at 7:36PM   
Alexandra Opie
Thanks! I like that settee. I'll have to see if there's somewhere were I can go sit on it. Thanks for the sheepskin throw idea too - I'm sure my daughter would flip for the texture (she's 2). Thanks!
January 16, 2013 at 7:42PM     
TanCalGal
Oops, I thought the red sofa was going to be in the sunroom. I just re-read.

LR: I think the round coffee table might be cuter in the LR instead of the rectangle one. This coffee table is cute with the decorative glass and a few books. If U like pillows, pull some colors from the rug 4 pillows as designer did in the photo. LINDENWOOD CIRCLE

The molded plywood chair is adorable. Since it is a knock-off consider panting it the red from the rug, especially if other chairs R neutral. If U decide to keep chair in LR, maybe paint black or ? a color from rug. Annie Sloan has chalk paint that comes in nice colors. Everyone raves about the colors and quality of her paint. : Blount Design

A.S. chalk paint in great colors: http://www.anniesloan.com/

Wicker furniture might be nice in sunroom & not as expensive as buying upholstered. U could have settee etc. Sunroom
January 16, 2013 at 7:46PM     
decoenthusiaste
I'm thinking I'd like your round coffee table in the living room and something more casual out on the sunroom. Why don't you keep your eyes open for another little Eames knock off or a couple of these other Eames favorites and go for something like this look?
Christensen Remodeling
Eames Molded Plastic Side Chair w/Eiffel Base | YLiving
Herman Miller Eames Molded Plastic Armchair with Wire Base |YLiving
January 16, 2013 at 7:49PM     
Alexandra Opie
All great ideas. I love the idea of pillows and artwork that pick up the color of the rug. I also like the Eames and couch look - will consider that option. And, I love the Martini side table Judyg. So cute. I think my house it too small to bring in wicker even though I like the look of those pieces. Another option in terms of color, if I find the perfect chairs, is to move the rug elsewhere and get one that goes with the chairs. My dad is a rug dealer so that's the only thing I don't have to pay for, lucky me!
January 16, 2013 at 8:18PM     
More Discussions
Blinds- should I return them or switch color?
New house, ordered custom made dark brown faux wood...
What is the correct name for this?
I am looking for these decorative, short horizontal...
Need help with living room
Looking for help with a new living room colour and...
Having Problems putting some order in my bed room!
Hi everyone! Right now im having a hard time trying...
Exterior Siding Project
Our home seems to have a Tudor cottage design, but...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.