powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What to do with the rest of the fireplace, any suggestions?
amibeauty
January 13, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I want to do something with the upper part of the fireplace. The bottom is black granite and marble. Floors are marble, build -ins are white wood and black granite. Any suggestions, what kind of tiles/stones to do?
Thanks
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
annoulaxeni
Honestly? Bless the designer who can fix this. I look forward to seeing what the pros come up with. My layman's opinion is that rather than adding, you need to start removing.
January 13, 2013 at 11:24PM     
cyn222
Wow. Black and pink tones are throwing me. Black columns are so harsh . Not sure what look you are going for. Where you trying to match the floor tiles? The brass on fireplace is dated. I feel bad saying all this, but it's really intense. Just being honest.
January 13, 2013 at 11:29PM   
amibeauty
They are not pink.....they are exactly the same colors as the floors beige marble...because of the light look like this. Everything is the same color...and by the way the fireplace is done by designer.
January 13, 2013 at 11:32PM   
cyn222
If it was designed by someone they should have been able to finish off the look. Time to fire them and get some real help.
January 13, 2013 at 11:35PM     
PRO
Robert Guenther Collection
You should put a decorative piece of glass in that area, I'm a glass designer if you need help
January 13, 2013 at 11:43PM     
amibeauty
I thought this discussions panel is for help and suggestions not criticize other people work....but I guess I was wrong :) Try to give suggestions and advise
January 13, 2013 at 11:43PM   
PRO
How does someone put the product on this site
January 13, 2013 at 11:45PM   
annoulaxeni
Amibeauty, I realized that my comment was likely to offend whomever designed that wall, but I was hoping that wasn't you. And clearly you're not entirely happy with it either, otherwise you wouldn't be seeking advice.

And as hard as it may be to swallow, someone advising you to simplify rather than adorn IS a helpful suggestion. Past that, however, I'm the first one to say 'to each his own' and if this design pleases you, enjoy it in good health!
January 13, 2013 at 11:48PM   
cyn222
My intention was not to be mean but to be honest. You design it the way you like it, not the way we like, but when you ask for help, you will get opinions that do not match yours. I hope someone gives you the help you are seeking. What is the style you are trying to achieve? Maybe that would help.
January 13, 2013 at 11:54PM     
PRO
Can I put product on this site to sell
January 14, 2013 at 12:02AM   
amibeauty
I am not offend at all...I appreciated all the opinions and I am looking for some solution. I don't like the fireplace either that's why I am trying to figure it out what to do with it. I would like to make more clean modern look. I bought the house with the fireplace look like this and they told me that designer made it...and I agree it's not good at all.
January 14, 2013 at 12:03AM   
anthip
Could you get some matching black marble and some how fit a mantle so that section looks finished? Can you afford to have it re-covered? Boxed in?
January 14, 2013 at 12:12AM   
annoulaxeni
Well, I'm relieved to hear you aren't offended amibeauty because I was just feeling very bad that I might have hurt you.

I'll still go back to what I initially said but I'll phrase it differently: I am amazed often what professionals can do with spaces that seem to us laypeople not to hold much promise. So I hope for your sake that several of the more talented ones who haunt this site chime in.

Until then, however, let me look closer and try to offer more concrete suggestions:

I think my biggest problem with this wall is the black columns. I find them harsh in color, pretentious in design, and lacking in any 'aesthetic integrity' by which I mean that their design seems more to be about what cuts were easy for the granite guy to make than what column details and proportions have proven over time to remain pleasing.

The wall would improve greatly if they were to simply be removed. Would that be possible?

Secondly, I realize I'm distracted by the innards of the cupboards beneath the granite shelving, but perhaps wrongly so: are there doors for those cupboards? I think they'd help hugely to simply/clarify.

Third, I find the entire wall 'heavy' (optically) for what else I can see of the room. The room appears to have low ceilings and little or no trim. That's not necessarily bad -- but I don't think it works well with this sudden burst of busy-ness. I guess what I'm trying to say is that in general I think for this to work you need to simplify it as much as possible. Obviously that would include whatever you're thinking of adding to that upper part which, in my humble opinion, doesn't need much further adornment.

There, is this any more helpful? As cyn222 asked, what are you trying to achieve? What's your favorite style?
January 14, 2013 at 12:15AM   
amibeauty
Yes I was thinking close it make it even and than do some grey,black, white stones/ glass tiles maybe?
January 14, 2013 at 12:16AM     
PRO
I can get this for you if you want
January 14, 2013 at 12:22AM   
amibeauty
Thanks I can get them... I am trying to figure it out is it going to be good with them first
January 14, 2013 at 12:25AM   
cyn222
You could remove the black and install a lighter tone that compliments the marble. You could also build wood columns that go up to the ceiling but I would keep them to the edge of the fireplace. Also maybe a mantle. Paint the top out and your done.
January 14, 2013 at 12:26AM   
amibeauty
Thanks that's an interesting idea. By the way they are doors for the bottom cabinets. They are remove right now because they refinishing them. They are white clean look
January 14, 2013 at 12:49AM   
More Discussions
House needs serious curb appeal!
We are trying to come up with some ideas for landscaping...
Curb appeal help!
We bought this house last fall. We love the corner...
Kitchen sink quality?
Hello, I'm shopping for my next kitchen sink. I currently...
Front door color?
So, we have listed to sell our house, it is a boring...
Lighting for entryway
Would like suggestions for appropriate lighting for...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.