Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen layout help
azr2d
January 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm looking for help with laying out our new kitchen and think you just may be the folks to give it. An addition is being built on the back of the house and this is the architect's initial kitchen layout. It incorporates all the things I want (double wall oven, cooktop, large pantry, windows overlooking the kids playing in the yard, no island, built in table) but is not going to be easy to cook in - it is 15+ feet from the sink to the fridge! Any ideas on a better layout? One change has already been made - the door swinging into the kitchen at the bottom of the plan has been removed and now there is just an opening between the kitchen and a small mudroom.

Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MAlps
Although I am going for interior design, I'm not a maven at reading floor plans yet... is that the fridge on the bottom , left of the entry to the kitchen?
January 14, 2013 at 3:39AM   
azr2d
Yep, that bottom wall has a wall oven in the corner, cabinetry in the middle with possibly the microwave, and then the fridge on the end. She has it drawn as a builtin fridge, but in reality it will be a standard French-door fridge.
Thanks for looking!
January 14, 2013 at 3:48AM   
ldilegge
Looking at the drawing, it will be hard to work in the kitchen. it doesn't look like you'll have much counter space for prep. I would consider an island, if not permanent then a movable one. Do you have to have a walkin pantry? i would move the double ovens to where the pantry is with a small brrom closet/tall cabinet and fill in with additional cabinets/counter if needed. Put the pantry next to the fridge to the mudroom door. you can have a reach in pantry like a closet or have tall pull out pantry cabinets. Like the change of getting rid of the swinging door to mudroom, but I would keep a door and make it a pocket door. Don't know where you live, but it would help keep cold out of kitchen in winter.
January 14, 2013 at 4:55AM   
artemis1
It appears that your design maximizes outdoor views, but I agree with Idlegge. It is not ideal for the cook. I am no architect, so I may be way off here. Can you move the door on the bottom left and place the banquette on the wall where the oven/fridge are? That may open up some options, but loses some windows. I would personally want the fridge closer. I am not sure that I would place a dishwasher so close to the corner, either. Your sink area, counter space is too small. Take a look at my kitchen on houzz. My stove wall is similar to yours with the fridge at one end. Though my fridge was squeezed in a not-so-perfect spot, it works for well for me. It was originally at the far corner(where my ovens are now) and I nixed that. I know how frustrating the design phase can be. Good luck!
January 14, 2013 at 6:28AM   
PRO
Dytecture
Can the doors be moved? what is the area to the left of the kitchen in the floor plan?
January 14, 2013 at 6:29AM   
PRO
Group 3
I think you should consider giving up the walk-in pantry and make the right side of that a closet for the adjoining room. The, slide everything to the right and you should have enough room for an island. Move the refrigerator to the pantry location, move the ovens to the former ref. location. You could move the sink to the island or put a small prep sink there. That old kitchen "triangle" thing is still a really good idea.
January 14, 2013 at 7:01AM   
annmarie2
I would strongly recommend getting a professional kitchen designer involved. Some issues I see:
1) LONG walk space from fridge to counters
2) LONG walk space from oven to counters (this could be dangerous)
3) Where will the microwave live (if you have a high-end cooktop, you might not be able to put it above that).
4) lots of wasted floor space (and no way to protect the chef from small-person intrusion - one benefit of islands!).
January 14, 2013 at 7:16AM     
MAlps
I agree with annmarie2! I would consider a island or peninsula. You can move the fridge right to the stove
January 14, 2013 at 7:32AM   
Lori
for such a big kitchen there is no counter space -- I agree that you need a professional kitchen designer. I also would consider getting rid of the banquette and having a large island with lots of seating. I also agree the ovens should go where the pantry is and then the entire over wall could be storage. just take your time and come up with a better plan -- it's not worth spending all that money to just be disappointed in the end. When we remodeled our kitchen, I spent almost five months working on the plans and getting lots of input -- the result was a kitchen I love with nothing I would change.
January 14, 2013 at 7:38AM   
ktiquet
I think you would hats this I know because this was how my old kitchen was set up you need an island and put your sink in it make you ovens not such a scarry thing to use if you have a landing spot also your pantry should go next to fridge it will make life much easier. Good luck
January 14, 2013 at 7:10PM   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Get a piece of paper and draw. Make the l-shape for the sink to pantry, take off the pantry wall that sticks into the kitchen. Leave the rest of the pantry. We'll use that space. Here is one idea cause I see a few ways. If you have questions or want a 2nd, 3rd, 4th idea....let me know. But I'm not always on here. Going off where everyone above was going...here is the general idea. Again, get some graph paper and draw while you read it. It will make more sense then just trying to see it in your head while reading it. I'd be happy to help further g.em at USA .com Or just let me know you want me to post again.

Make the cabinet to the right of the sink a end shelf that is 9" wide, place the 33" sink, the dishwasher. Place a 42" blind (and add 3" away from wall that countertop covers). Place a blind pull-out in that cabinet so that the shelves come out and you aren't digging into it. Turn the corner, place a 3" filler up against the blind cabinet, then a 9" tray divider cabinet, a 30" oven base with the range cooktop over the oven/microwave base, then a 9" pull out base then the frig should fit just hitting where the pantry wall was jotting out. Place the panels on both sides of the frig.

Place inside the cove of the pantry wall still facing the same direction as the frigerator - place two 33" pantry cabinets. Place wall cabinets on the back of the cooktop wall where applicable. Frig cabinet above frig . . . You can place a corner wall 27" in that corner. I'd add glass. Then place two 9" above the 9" bases. Or just place a 36" width cabinet, a hood, then and 9" wide cabinet.

Across from the 9" base that is left of the frigerator, place across from it another 30" oven base cabinet facing the frig/oven/cooktop wall. On the right side you'll have 42.25" walk way from the sink and the front of the oven will be 45" walk way from the other base oven/cooktop/frig side. Turn the islands corner and butt up against it place a 30" microwave base cabinet facing the general direction of the OLD frig. Turn the corner - again and put a 24" wide x 12" deep cabinet (butt this up against the microwave cabinet/second oven base if you put the microwave under the range) Next to this 12" is a 9" vanity x 18" deep and it's butt up against the oven base. (If you are drawing it - you'll see it.) and turn the corner and facing the sink/windows will be a 18" (double trash) left side is touching the butt of the original oven base we place in the island.

Remove the wall behind the OLD frig and OLD double oven cabinet.

OY is it late but I hope that helps.
January 17, 2013 at 11:34PM     
revss
Have gotten a couple of K design plans from Angie's List "Big Deals"; well worth the modest cost! OR just hire TGM above; sounds like he/she just did a design for you. Pay him to see it on paper?
January 18, 2013 at 3:48AM   
azr2d
Thank you everyone for all your thoughts and suggestions! I'm taking out graph paper this afternoon and sketching out some of your ideas to add to my own. TGM Cabinets - especially big thanks to all the thought you put into your response! My builder has put me in touch with a kitchen designer he has worked with before and I believe I'm in a great spot to start designing the kitchen of my dreams.

Thanks again!
January 18, 2013 at 10:44AM