Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help! Newly engaged in a boring bedroom
ellenjy
January 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi, we have recently been engaged and have moved in together. Our bedroom is struggling to find it's happy medium with the combined furniture and styles (feminine vs masculine). The plain white walls and small window doesn't help. We're looking for some direction. All input is much appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
ellenjy
Also wondering if painting the wall behind the bed will look silly with the aircon unit?
January 14, 2013 at 3:57AM   
Patricia Pelgrims
Can you not move the bed with headboard against the wall where the secretary cabinet is ?
If there is the room to manouver, I am all for rearranging the layout of the room.
Then you can paint the wall behind your bed in a different colour without the airco blighting your focal wall.
January 14, 2013 at 4:06AM     
charleee
Are you happy with your linens? For color inspiration, I would start there. Find a comforter you both can live with and take your que from it for your wall and accessory color. I see you have your tv mounted in the corner so it can be viewable from the bed, so unless you can move the tv I would keep the bed there.

You might think about creating a painted 'frame' around all your pictures, and then actually frame them in with some molding.

This is a great inspiration pic for a gender neutral master bedroom:
January 14, 2013 at 4:27AM     
michigammemom
Take a look at coordinated bed linens from West Elm. I like this goldenrod comgination with your dark wood furniture. I also suggest that you tweak your photo collage for a more symmetrical look.
January 14, 2013 at 4:38AM     
PRO
Design Mode
Ray Staples always said, "Honey, move the T.V. out of the bedroom!"
January 14, 2013 at 5:01AM     
PRO
AJD Interiors
Design Mode- absolutely! ; ) I always say the same thing...

Anyway, to address the issues Ellenjy, first- Can you center the bed on that window wall? If so, add a drapery rod as close to the ceiling as you can, and enough panels to go all the way across that wall so it LOOKS like you have a huge expanse of windows, and balances out that wall while creating a warm and cozy backdrop. OR- Wallpaper behind the headboard would also be nice, and maybe wallpaper that ac unit, or build a little boxed cover for it and wallpaper that. (to blend in)
Neutral linens with accent pillows in your favorite color can pull it all together. i like your frame wall, but in such a small space it just adds to the cluttered effect. One large focal point would be cleaner looking.
Queensway master, Interior Design Vancouver
Urban Living - Pacific Heights

Anna
January 14, 2013 at 5:18AM     
sacapuntaslapioz
Word of advise, do you REALLY want pictures of your relatives in the bedroom? It is a small room. I would go for a monochromatic look in either warm whites or in silver, in a metallic paint for the wall of the bed. I would go for a romantic and serene jewel box. you have dark furniture (masculine) so add a feminine (without being pink) color such a silver or vanilla, or a rich dark color such as emerald or blue and get bold linens. get a faux fur throw for the bed and get the tv out of there, it gives a vibe of hospital room. small can be quite romantic and pretty, go for it. check the ideabook "Big Style for Small Bedrooms" by Rebekah Zaveloff.
[houzz=Bedroom]
[houzz=Modern High-Rise]
[houzz=Avenue Road Condo][houzz=Dining/Living Room]
[houzz=Guest Bedroom.]
[houzz=Venice 4][houzz=Master Bedroom][houzz=Stamford Bedroom Detail][houzz=The Upward Bound House by Elizabeth Bomberger]
January 14, 2013 at 6:25AM     
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Hi, I don't see your responses to the input you've received so I'm just going on what I can see in your photo. If relocating the bed can be done without making the room too tight, I'd go with that. The windows can be draped with an opaque fabric in a color. Then on the far wall add some shelves or wall hung pieces with enough mass to balance off the air conditioning unit.
If, on the other hand, it doesn't work to move the bed to your window wall, run a shelf the entire width of the wall below the air conditioner and run shutters across from the ceiling down to your shelf. The louvered shutters will allow you to vent the air and hide what ever you store up there. You can get a nice effect by installing some lights inside your new "valance".
If would like to build out the remaining wall you can add a pair of side tables with shutter door faces, or, line the rest of the wall with wood planks.
January 14, 2013 at 7:35AM     
Lili
Well, first of all, I would look for some heavy, romantic, rich drapes, maybe with a velvet or satin texture, and I would mount them over your bed behind the headboard, so you can disguise that whatever that ugly thing is on your wall :P I'm sure you're not particularly attached to it! Maybe the curtains could be in a blood maroon or a deep purple. Then you could paint the walls a medium silver-grey. I would also suggest taking some of the pictures and other personal paraphernalia and putting them elsewhere, as the space is beginning to feel a bit cluttered. You could have your bedspread match your behind-the-bed drapes, either with an accent the same color or solidly the same color. Brushed nickel door handles would look nice. I also suggest some candles. With your small space, the colors I suggested, and your newly-moved-in state, I think candles would really set the room off! ;)
January 14, 2013 at 8:00AM     
PRO
Design Organize
Everyone has hit on so many good ideas and I will jump in with: remove the TV and the family pictures. This is YOUR room, not CNN's and your mothers or a pet's space. (is that a dog bed at the foot of the bed?)
1. I agree that if the bed can be moved, move it and then back it with drapery of your choice.
2. If you then have a little more room on each side of the bed, put a round top on one of the bedside tables and drape it. The 'matchy' feel of the two square tables is boring and harsh. Make the tabletop a little larger for the one of you that needs the extra space. The small drop-front chest I see in the pic. might even go on one side...opened.
3. Get rid of all the 'extras' if at all possible. All the little accessories are only making this room feel ordinary. When you look at the supplied photos above you will see simplicity. Simplicity is elegant and serene, which does not describe a dirty clothes hamper or large fan.
4. Once you have cleared the space, then think new linens and painting the walls a complimentary color. A few good throw pillows and some larger (not family photos) pictures and your space will calm down, be more romantic and elegant looking.
5. What to do with the photos? I never recommend putting family pics in public spaces like a living room or dining room, but you certainly don't want all your relatives grinning down on you from the walls of your bedroom either. Box 'em up and save them for a hallway space in a larger home.
Best to you! DesignOrganize.com
January 14, 2013 at 8:49AM     
ellenjy
So much good feedback, thank-you!! Am also looking for practical solution for the dog beds at the end of the bed?
January 14, 2013 at 2:41PM   
charleee
ellen, let me know if you find that solution, I'm still looking for one too.....
January 14, 2013 at 3:17PM     
groveraxle
Ah, the dog bed solution is easy. Let them share your bed.
January 14, 2013 at 4:03PM     
ellenjy
I have wondered about putting the dog beds in or under the bedside tables. Thoughts?
January 14, 2013 at 4:40PM     
Bonnie
What is that thing on the ceiling on the right side of your first picture?
January 14, 2013 at 4:50PM   
charleee
I like that! Pretty cool, great idea! I think you should go for it.
Bonnie
Also, do you own or rent?
ellenjy
Own.
January 14, 2013 at 4:58PM   
PRO
ModaScapes Interior Design
Depending on your dogs' size and how much room you have, a bench at the foot of the bed with a cushioned shelf has worked in the past.
January 14, 2013 at 5:06PM   
ellie0149
this is our master bedroom...hubby doesn't mind it because the wall color is on the masculine side BM Rocky Road. I think with the white duvet and the black & light grey of the accent pillows and drapes keep both of us happy. I always wanted a chandelier and we compromised and ended up with this fixture
January 14, 2013 at 5:10PM     
Bonnie
you still didn't say what is on the ceiling over your bed and picture frames. Is that an a/c unit?
January 14, 2013 at 5:34PM   
ellenjy
Sorry Bonnie. Yes the split system A/C unit. Needed in AUS at the moment with 40+ degrees Celsius.
January 14, 2013 at 5:45PM   
Bonnie
You can put up longer drapes to make the window look bigger and either replace the mirrored closet doors or, I saw on HGTV where they got this spray to make the mirror look dull and you can make your own pattern too.
January 14, 2013 at 6:14PM   
ellenjy
So loving the idea of drapery on the far wall. Not 100% sure on shifting the bed but will give it a go and see how it feels. New linen - agreed! Wondering if a nicer bed skirt will also help? Just in a warmer colour.
January 14, 2013 at 6:18PM   
Bonnie
I found a nice comforter set at Bed Bath and Beyond online and thought the plantation shutters would look nice on all 3 windows and I found some wall paint colors that would compliment everything.
January 16, 2013 at 1:11AM