Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Television next to fireplace
carolfiorello
January 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My television needs to be next to fireplace. Need to buy a stand so should I position television above, below or half way beside mantel?? Have not decide on mirror on mantel yet
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Scott's Creative Home
The TV is awkward in this location on a stand. Consider hanging the TV. A nice way to create an art element out of a TV is to add a frame box around the TV. For some of my clients projects, I have added picture frame molding to the front face edge of the TV fame. Hang the TV base level with the top of the mantle.

www.scottsceativehome.com
January 14, 2013 at 5:59AM   
pollyannagal
I would aim to get the top of the TV in line with the mantle. This would continue the visual line and be a comfortable height for viewing.

Have you tried putting the mirror landscape rather than portrait? It looks too squashed to the angled ceiling. If you don't keep it I would suggest a round or oval one for the space as there are a lot of hard angles.
January 14, 2013 at 6:03AM   
PRO
Dytecture
If you prefer to keep the current location of the TV, at least have the storage unit the same height as the door beside it.
January 14, 2013 at 6:40AM     
Norma Sassone
I agree with Dytecture and make the unit white with crown moldings like your mantel.
January 14, 2013 at 7:07AM     
carolfiorello
If I hang the TV base at mantle level or just below, what can I put below it?? Need something for cable box, wires, etc. What should I look for? Wouldn't mirror end up almost level with TV if I flip it side ways?? I'm stuck with this above mantle situation also.
January 14, 2013 at 7:11AM   
carolfiorello
Nothing in this room is white, thinking black. Space is not that big, so it's all TV and cabinet
January 14, 2013 at 7:13AM   
Jayme H.
What is on the other side of the FP? Can u take a pic please?
January 14, 2013 at 7:22AM   
carolfiorello
On other side is a small wall ( not using table showing) and goes off to 4 season sunroom.
January 14, 2013 at 7:35AM   
Jayme H.
Some pics: examples of different types/heights...I know the placement is not quite the same: I think the taller white one looks better than a short, darker one.
January 14, 2013 at 7:56AM     
carolfiorello
What if TV was half way on mantle.. I have dark furniture. It's low now, but I don't want it as high as above.. Thanx, these comments are really helping!!
January 14, 2013 at 8:17AM   
Jayme H.
If I were to hang the t.v. on the wall I think I would try to hang it about mid-way...as in: middle horizontal point of t.v screen level with mantle. I would have someone hold it up there, stand back and look at it. If it's too high you'll be able to tell. If u use a cabinet, I think a white cabinet would blend better with your FP and not be opposing it so much as a dark cabinet since they will be so close together...but I could be wrong too.
January 14, 2013 at 8:30AM   
PRO
STUDIO MB
I did this for one of my clients. Looks great. The TV height can be where ever you want just balance with floating shelves that have the same detail as your mantel.
January 14, 2013 at 8:35AM   
PRO
Wallmark Homes
Agree with Dytecture, a nice white cabinet that matches the height of the door will make the TV look like less of an after thought.
January 14, 2013 at 8:35AM   
Jayme H.
And I did see some pics of t.v.'s on a wall with floating shelves and that looks nice too.
January 14, 2013 at 8:36AM   
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
As far as the mirror goes I think you should do a round mirror instead of the rectangular one, it will work better with the angled ceiling
January 14, 2013 at 8:40AM     
Norma Sassone
Love Jamie Hobbs' right hand photo with the cabinet. Good TV watching is best at your sitting eye level. And the cabinet blends in with the white mantel.
January 14, 2013 at 8:46AM     
carolfiorello
Think I like white cabinet idea or floating shelves. My concern is my darker furniture with the white
January 14, 2013 at 8:56AM     
Jayme H.
I understand how u feel, but your FP is white, and the cabinet will be right next to it, and in my thoughts, white would look better. You can add darker decor on shelves, etc if u are afraid it won't tie in with furniture, but my thoughts r that your white FP ties in & so would a white unit for the tv:) I feel like if it blends with the FP more, it won't seem like it's competing as much as a focal point. Also agree with floating shelves too..u have a lovely home and either will look great!!
January 14, 2013 at 9:10AM   
carolfiorello
What if I do shelves and shelf under TV in white. TV half of mantle. Trying not to have a big expense for this project. So much more to do. And yes, the white FP does tie in!!!! You all have been very helpful!!
January 14, 2013 at 9:20AM     
Jayme H.
I think that's a good idea, please show results:)
January 14, 2013 at 10:26AM   
carolfiorello
Thanks for your help!!
January 14, 2013 at 10:38AM     
PRO
Dayoris Custom Woodwork
Check our website dayoriscustom.com for ideas on TV furniture designs and styles. Our TV furniture are all custom made using high quality wood and textures, offering a great deal of elegance to your surrounding.

Sincerely,
The DAYORIS CUSTOM Team
June 16, 2014 at 1:11PM