Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Stuck on Backsplash, Tile or Glass, Light or Dark
notting
January 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I would love to have someone's opinon on what to do with my backsplash, new construction. We have Juperana Persia granite, moderate white 6140 SW cabinets, Jacobean stained white oak floor, and Macadamia 6142 SW on the walls. Should I go white/cream with a ceramic subway tile, or do a medium beige/dark brown glass subway tile? I have inspiration pics attached as well as our granite and colors
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Scott's Creative Home
The attached picture shows the white subway tile which blend with the cabinets and counter. Notice the dark island and large chandelier. These two elements are distinct focal points. If you pan to have eye catching architectural elements you could consider blending the backsplash with the cabinets. If you want the backsplash to be the eye catching element, use a contrasting tile with visual interest.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 5:50AM
notting
Thank you. We will not have an island or the light fixures in the kitchen, maybe the backsplash needs to make more of a statement. I appreciate your feedback.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 5:53AM
feeny
I prefer the more subdued backsplash choice, but I usually prefer kitchens that make a statement with the coherence of the whole design rather than drawing too much attention to one element. But that is a personal preference, not a rule.
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 6:01AM
PRO
Artistico
What style are you trying to achieve?
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 6:05AM
notting
I like the warmth of the golds in the paint and granite lots of simple lines not fussy more timeless less trendy I like the idea of the cream cabinets against the dark shiny floor maybe less contrast everywhere else
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 7:03AM
PRO
Granite Transformations
Hi Melissa,

My vote would be for a darker subway tile. We have a few that you might like, you can view them here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/mosaic-tiles/colors/subway/

I think Noir would be a great fit. Good luck with you decision!
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 7:34AM
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi Melissa!
You could do a monochromatic tile backsplash in a color that blends in with your cabinets, and then your floor would really pop. Or you could do a tile in a mosaic that really highlights your granite. Like Scott's Creative Home commented, it's up to you what you want to be the real focal point of your kitchen. Below are some ideas for you. You can also create your very own custom mosaic using the mosaic designer on our website.
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 8:54AM
notting
Does anyone have a favorite?
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 3:26AM
PRO
Artistico
Bottom right is my vote. Vertical lay not horizontal.
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 4:43AM
PRO
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
It depends on the look you're trying to achieve. The thin glass tiles are more contemporary and the tumbled brown mosaic is more traditional. The multi-colored small mosaics are very busy, and may be jarring with the granite.

I love subway tile--did you consider one in a medium brown tone that coordinates with the granite? They come in a crackled finish too, which is interesting but doesn't compete with the busy-ness of your granite.
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 4:51AM
PRO
Marina Klima Goldberg - Klima Design Group
I like the upper right . It looks like it has the feeling you want to achieve: warm, timeless, enough contrast with the granite and it yet will stand out because it does have enough color and TEXTURE. Ok, my thinking: top left is too stripy for the space, the lower left is way to dark and fights the granite, lower right is too light and shiny.
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 5:08AM
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.