powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Should area between crown moldings be painted a contrasting color to trim?
Margaret Chappell
January 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is the foyer.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Wallmark Homes
Painting the space between will help add the extra bit of contrast and help highlight the crown moldings.
January 14, 2013 at 1:53PM     
PRO
Dytecture
I would paint that area white unless the wall color is closely related to the color of the crown molding.

January 14, 2013 at 2:11PM     
Sharyn
I think painting it an accent color to the main wall color would look awesome! I wish I had those moldings.
January 14, 2013 at 2:12PM     
Matteo Dezigns
No, No, No!! The space has become part of the crown and you shouldn't try and separate them. Also, all wood should be the same color. My suggestion is to paint both crowns and the space between the same color as the other wood trim and waynes coating in the room. I think you will be much happier with the finished look.
www.matteodezigns.com
January 14, 2013 at 6:41PM     
Ramona
No, but please paint the ceiling a color, not bright white. Then your moldings are going to shine.
January 14, 2013 at 6:44PM     
Margaret Chappell
Thank you so very much for the input. Will post the pics when it is done.
January 15, 2013 at 2:56AM     
Margaret Chappell
The wainscoting in the room is SW Dover white as the crown molding will be also. The walls are a beige color, would it be too much to paint the ceiling in the room a pale blue?
January 15, 2013 at 3:02AM     
diannthusdesigns
No, a pale blue clg would be beautiful. But you should definitely paint the strip of wall the same color as the moldings as Matteo Dezigns suggested. Right now it stops the eye for looking up. All one color would make the moldings a strong architectural element, and the pale blue clg a beautiful focal point.
January 15, 2013 at 4:27AM     
PRO
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
Think about how it will look if you paint it a contrasting color: you'll have a horizontal line going all around the foyer at ceiling height. If that's what you want to see, then paint it a contrasting color.
If not, then paint it the same color as the trim and it will all blend in. There's no right or wrong here, you just need to visualize the effect and then choose before you go through the trouble of painting!

A blue ceiling is always beautiful--just remember that colors look much darker when they're on the ceiling, so if you want a hint of blue, use a very light blue, lighter than what you'd put on the walls.
January 15, 2013 at 4:59AM     
kfreund
I think painting that section one shade lighter or darker than the color you paint the walls would look beautiful. The darker shade would make it more dramatic and the lighter would look softer but both would enhance the crown molding, make it pop and make it a focal point. Go with a neutral color like a sand or latte shade. Don't go crazy with color on the walls, use artwork for that.
January 15, 2013 at 8:08AM     
Margaret Chappell
Spent time with the painter today. We picked out a very pale blue to "try" on the ceiling. He volunteered to let me sample all the options - I know I am paying for it - but will keep you all posted.
January 15, 2013 at 3:45PM   
houssaon
I love the idea of a pale blue. I did my dining room ceiling in pale blue. It doesn't shout, but it adds another layer of detail.
January 15, 2013 at 3:49PM     
Margaret Chappell
Blue ceiling.
January 18, 2013 at 12:13PM     
PRO
Remya Warrior Designs
Love the blue ceiling. I also love the picture which Dytecture posted with a contrasting color between the moldings. That adds to the drama of the space.
January 18, 2013 at 12:41PM     
PRO
Look again, the picture from Dytecture shows all the moldings and the space between them in the same white color. What you are perceiving as a different color is merely a shadow.
January 18, 2013 at 12:49PM     
PRO
mchappell--it looks wonderful! Which color blue did you select?
January 18, 2013 at 12:50PM     
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
I agree with Matteo Dezigns. Is this house in the Greek Revival style? I'm assuming there are columns on the other end of the hall? This is a simpliified version of a classic architectural detail called an entablature. It is the combination of beam, decorative frieze and cornice. This is not only decorative but defines the shape and stature of the space. To break this apart with different colors would weaken its purpose.
January 18, 2013 at 1:05PM     
Margaret Chappell
We used SW Hinting Blue. We are happy with it so far. We have decided to keep all the trim and the area between the same color. They will be painting tomorrow. I will post more pictures.
January 18, 2013 at 6:13PM     
solraven
I would keep the planes the same color. What's horizontal with the ceiling should be the ceiling color, and what's vertical with the wall should be the wall color. Besides giving it more interest, and texture, if the beautiful blue (love it by the way) is only left on the main part of the ceiling, it give the illusion of a smaller space.
January 18, 2013 at 6:23PM   
More Discussions
Need help for our Living Room
Could you please give me ideas of what kind of furniture...
Tile update in family "hall bath" -- yellow and gray
Can I keep this gray hex tile floor (which actually...
Need help selecting a stain for my staircase.
We are considering an espresso colored stain for our...
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
Need help with roof design for an extension on U-shaped Hip Roof
I would like to extend the kitchen about 6' out, but...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.