Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help to separate dining and drawing area
raunak12
January 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello,

I Need to separate dining and drawing area. As in the pic below, I do not want to include the entry of the kitchen in the drawing area. Also, I wish to keep the drawing area till the length of the kitchen, but without people being able to see the kitchen.
1 idea that I have is to put an oval/round shape curtain, from start of kitchen to the start of the other bedroom.
All suggestions are welcome. Need it a bit quickly as planning to book this place in another couple of days and this could be a deal breaker.

Thanks for helping me out.

Raunak
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
I think a curtain would be my last choice. I would reverse the dining and drawing rooms so the drawing room has access to and a view from the balcony. That puts the dining room at the kitchen end. If this is not built yet, have the door to the kitchen and the fridge and cabinets flipped so the door is on the opposite side of them. You can do this project after you move in if it is already built. For the drawing room, put the entertainment center against the bedroom wall and float the furniture in front of the balcony.
January 14, 2013 at 9:48AM   
annmarie2
I agree w/decoenthusiaste - don't do the curtain. and it does seem that swapping space s is your best bet. Any way to move the lving room fireplace to back onto the master bedroom wall? In addition, it appears that the main entrance comes right into the living room end. Swapping also provides more buffer for that.
January 14, 2013 at 10:14AM   
Karen Williams
reverse dining area for lounge area, to me it looks like the table could be a hazzard placed where it is in relation to the other doors
January 14, 2013 at 10:45AM   
raunak12
Cant replace the dining/lounge area. Main entrance has to come to the living room end, the builder wont change the whole plan.
Its a multistorey apartment, and hence no physical changes can take place.
Curtain sounds the best to me too. Any other ideas? A wooden separator maybe? If yes what type?

Thanks for the quick response
January 14, 2013 at 10:58AM   
orangecamera
Something is off with the scale of the picture. That table seems enormous compared to the other furniture, and the way I'm interpreting the room sizes.

Keep the dining area on the kitchen side, and keep the drawing room on the window/balcony side. Do you want a temporary room divider or an actual wall? There are lots of different style room dividers, and if you tell us what your style is, we can make the best suggestions. Also let us know if the divider needs to go all the way floor to ceiling. And can it be somewhat see-through or do you want it solid?

More info and more pictures = best replies :)
January 14, 2013 at 10:58AM   
raunak12
The table is just an example, dont think of that as an actual full size table. The dining can not come right at the entry, looks a lil out of place. About the separators: No, upto the ceiling not required, a see through or a translucent will do to.
Something that falls in the low price category, not looking for any expensive modifications.
Need some not so expensive ideas guys :)

Thanks again
January 14, 2013 at 11:08AM   
decoenthusiaste
Builders can't control the way you arrange your furniture. Unless the TV is built-in includes a FP there is no reason not to use the side closest to the kitchen as your dining room. I would prefer to do without a fireplace and install my own TV entertainment center, than have my whole plan dictated by someone who isn't going to live there. That would break the deal for me. So what if you come in through the dining room! That is not the builder's problem. I remember when it was popular to come into the home and find the kitchen and dining were to your right and left as your entered with the living area in the back facing the back yard.
January 14, 2013 at 11:23AM   
PRO
Otrada LLC
Privacy could be obtained with a screen, placement of potted plants, an open bookcase, but I like your idea for a curved track with a curtain as one option for visual privacy.

I would rotate the dining table 90 degrees and move it towards the balcony. I would remove those two chairs/tables because the layout of a single chair that far apart from another chair does not work. You may need to move the seating away from the main entrance because it looks like you walk in and you're on top of a loveseat. In such a tight space with so many doors that open in to the main living/dining - my advice is to keep it simple. Scale the furniture properly and have pieces that are multi-functional. Example- an ottoman that can serve as seating. A bench at the dining table to seat 3 on each side. I would also place two smaller loveseats facing each other in front of the fireplace. This will give you an "entry area" (along the back side of the kitchen wall) and help to define the living from dining rooms. Even if you don't have a formal entry, try to create a bit of space to welcome people.
January 14, 2013 at 11:24AM   
More Discussions
Furniture
I own this rug from lowes and I am in the process of...
Suggestions for what to hang in breakfast nook
Need help on what to do with this large blank wall!...
I need advice on what to put in my kitchen where the washer and dryer
I did a small remodel in my kitchen and I'm left with...
Please help w finish of bathroom faucets
My sister is redesigning her powder room. She wants...
Need fireplace mantel
I need a fireplace mantel in my family room. The fireplace...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.