Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
cafe style update
luxurybeauty
January 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
want to make my small into a cafe style theme. Here are the room pictures. Thank you
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jayme H.
My initial thought was to add some red in...the pic is little busy but has some red and darker woods.. You could add red into accessories such as pics, cannisters, etc..
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 10:30AM
luxurybeauty
it's hard because that is a door... and not a window, out onto deck. should I make the dining/ kitchen one area and make the dining room have the cafe style valance?
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 10:34AM
PRO
Dytecture
I agree with adding some colors to the kitchen, perhaps a colorful runner as well.

1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 10:41AM
Jayme H.
Can u post pic of dining area? And r u looking to do cloth valances in one or the other areas or both?
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 10:51AM
luxurybeauty
it is a discussion topic also.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 10:55AM
Jayme H.
I think if u want that style/the wall in my pic looks cafe style/and the framed posters do. Maybe something like that on wall behind dining table-and/or also painting that wall? And I like those curtains in Dytecture's photo...they add charm and color. Are your chairs brown or black?
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 11:06AM
luxurybeauty
the chairs are dark brown. the pictures have been taken down this was an old photo on my computer. I just have blank walls now.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 12:09PM
patriciarhall
will your dining table fit long ways with the wall and kitchen cabinets?
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 12:13PM
jeannemara
I have a few thoughts for you. First, I would try some colour on the walls. Live with that ONLY for a month. See how you like it. Second, you can now paint appliances like your refrigerator and maybe your dishwasher. White doesn't exactly say cafe.
The end of the cabinets in your first photo are perfect for what you want.
Take down the drapes in the dining area. That wonderful window sill is perfect for a cafe look as is the door in your kitchen. I would do light (by which I mean not formal, but of a light (as in weight) material) curtains at the door. You can attach them to the door, or better, you can purchase or configure (which I like better) two rods that swing out so that you can open the door easily but the curtains are more easily arranged. Have you considered shutters for your dining windows? ONLY on the bottom part, of course.
I would change out your chandelier for a pulley-type one.
Lastly, area rugs are marvelous for this sort of thing. And, believe it or not, you can get indoor/outdoor rugs that look very nice now. Not at the big box stores, but stores like Ballard Designs. I purchase mine there and I purchase the ones made in Belgium there are several different styles. All of the ones I got where great! Especially for an area like you have.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 12:36PM
Jayme H.
How far are you planning to go with the re-decorating? Are u thinking to repaint walls, and change out curtains and decor items? Or were u thinking bigger things too like cabinet, appliances, etc..which don't look old. I took it as smaller, decor things, pics, paint, curtains/valances?
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 2:40PM
Jayme H.
pics of French Country decor
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 3:09PM