Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help picking pillows
Melanie Benwell
January 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi everyone... I went a bit pillow crazy and picked 4 different pillows for our living room sofa, but cannot decide which ones to use. Can you please weigh in with your preference?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
can we see a photo of the four pillows which do not include the polka dot ones? And see if you can load the photo right way up? LOL
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 11:32AM
Jayme H.
Both match well..the set with the big dots on them r a little funkier than the other set, which seems more subdued...do u want funky or more subdued?
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 11:32AM
Melanie Benwell
Anyone know how I can rotate the pics?
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 11:33AM
Melanie Benwell
Here's half the subdued and half the bold... I'm hoping the image will be right side up.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 11:35AM
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Check that the images you're loading are already right side up on your computer. If not, rotate them there and re-save them.

Is the artwork staying? I think the issue is whether you want the artwork to be the visual accent or the pillows. To emphasize the artwork, I'd be more inclined to do colour-blocking, i.e. pick some colours the same as or similar to the colours in the art and bring them in in a solid plain or textured fabric. This is a generality. There are other ways of doing this too. Say there's a dark textured area in the painting and you find a fabric that is a small print that kind of relates to that texture. It's really an art, selecting pillows and artwork that complement each other.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 11:37AM
Melanie Benwell
Yay! No more tilting your head... those are the 4 pillows. Please let me know which combo you prefer. Thanks for your time.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 11:37AM
Melanie Benwell
The artwork is staying... it's actually getting replaced as it's yellowed a bit, so the new piece will be slightly bigger and a bit whiter.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 11:39AM
PRO
john thompson designer
The subtle colours of the fretwork design are sophisicated look,yet subdued. The high energy of the polka dots and bold swirls are fun, trendy. It depends of THAT LOOK that you want. PIllows are an inexpensive way to recreate a room. So I suggest, when you have a fun party go with polka dots or if you are in the mood for candle lights go for the other. Both are nice, But the most important thing is to be CONFIDENT in your choices. YOu know deep down what look is right for you. It is really all about what you like.
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 11:40AM
sunshinesmiley4
I would go with the second set. (second picture) :)
With the pictures, I'm pretty you you have to take the picture straight, then upload it. Or, take a picture and rotate it on your computer. I do not think this website with rotate it for you.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 11:44AM
PRO
john thompson designer
The third look mixing all four are fun, yet sophisicated.This is a better look. I think you like being fun and subdued and calm. Really it is all about how this make you feel in your space. Not what others think. Please remember to always buy real art work.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 11:47AM
Jayme H.
I am no sure those pillows go well with the art, now that I can see it better...can u take a pic of the art?
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 12:51PM
PRO
john thompson designer
The elements of design are space, shape, form, mass, line, texture, pattern, light and colour. the polka dots mimic the art. the fret work and the plain one are the right colour, the larger bolder pattern gives it the strength to bring the room alive. if it were all the same, it would be a safe unappealing room. the other patterns and colour blend well because it brings harmony to the room but do not take away from the real focus of the room which is the art. Not the art on the wall but the art that is you and those friends that are apart of your world and life style.
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 1:05PM
Jayme H.
Agreed John Thompson...but I still couldn't quite make out what the pic really looks like.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 2:36PM