Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Drapery Recommendation for Great Room
adrimama
January 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The drapery seen in the pictures were in our home when we purchased it. They run from floor to ceiling, as do the windows (about 20 feet). I would like to change them out as the fabric seems a bit dated and heavy to me. The color also does not match our decor well as they have a lot or red-orange to them. The style of the curtains (floor to ceiling length panels) I am okay with..

I was thinking of a lighter, airy feel - perhaps in light cream colors with some metallic threading of some sort. If anyone has recommendations of fabric styles or pictures that would be great! Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Really, adrimama? I think you are so lucky to have "inherited" these drapes from the previous owner. I think they are a nice complement to your blue and white scheme and I lke how they relate to the cushions on the sofa and to the tones in the hardwood. They seem more architectural than decor, if you understand what I mean, and that's a nice thing.

To replace these two-storey tall generously full drapes would be a significant investment, but perhaps I shouldn't assume you want to make this a low-budget exercise. On houzz it seems like most people are trying to find drapes ready made at the big box stores, and of course that's not going to work in this case.

I think this project, done well, would be best handled by a professional drapery workroom who has a rep who can come out and visit you and measure and can select a range of suitable fabrics you can select from. Or you could call an interior decorator and have them handle this for you. This is a beautiful room and it's well-furnished, and it deserves window coverings that are first-class as well.
January 14, 2013 at 12:32pm     
adrimama
Yes, I agree Cynthia. I definitely would have them made to order just as they are. I am only wanting to change out the style of fabric. Any recommendations on a material type or print which would coordinate well?

Thanks for your input!
January 14, 2013 at 1:00pm   
jeannemara
The fabric would be great with some yellows in it. Your idea about "metalic" threads made me immediately think of gold. However, that seems almost too fussy for your room. I would definitely be looking at yellows. There is nothing more classic than blue and yellow. Especially in a room that has such a great rug!.
January 14, 2013 at 1:07pm   
Bonnie
How about cream colored silk dupioni? You could look for a trim to add to vertical length that would tie your colors together and bring in a little sparkle that you are looking for.
January 14, 2013 at 1:23pm   
adrimama
Great recommendations so far. Thanks! I also like the idea of some patterned fabric. Just not sure if it would look alright. These two fabrics I liked as well.
January 14, 2013 at 2:07pm   
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
If you are going to choose a pattern, make sure the scale of the pattern is large enough for your windows, I suggest something with a repeat of at least 24" if a geometric or ikat, preferably bigger repeat. A small repeat can look to muddy and indistinct on that size drape.
I would go for a large repeat ikat with shades of blue and other colors in it. http://www.leejofa.com/search/fabdetail.asp?Code=LJF&Use=%27Multipurpose%27&Col=%27Blue%27&Typ=%27Ikat%2FSouthwest%2FKilims%27&Price=All&x=19&y=22&Page=1&pat=2012105&clr=195
January 14, 2013 at 3:44pm   
adrimama
@ Julie Thorne: Thanks for the image and advice on repeating pattern. I will keep that in mind!
January 14, 2013 at 5:15pm   
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
A very large repeat (overscale) would be proportional but there are very few fabrics available in this category. I'm wondering about colour blocking with solids. Not silk, because I don't think anything shiny is going to look great with your furnishings. I think something like a linen texture would be better. I wouldn't suggest real linen because it might shrink or grow depending on the humidity level. It's not so much of a concern with regular height drapes, but it could affect the finished length of these very tall ones.

If I were designing drapes for this room, I'd work out a plan for how many divisions and what size and what colour they would be arranged in. Below I've attached photos of ways other people have approached this. The last one actually has vertical panels for a soaring effect that emphasizes the shape. I would be more inclined to make a horizontal arrangement like the three other pictures.

San Diego Downtown Condo Yaletown Loft Heather Garrett Design Living Room
January 14, 2013 at 6:47pm     
adrimama
Cynthia,
I love the linen fabric, and if I were doing a horizontal color blocking would the material used be linen as well, just dyed another color?

You also mentioned you thought a shiny fabric might not look good with the furniture. May I ask why that is? In my mind, at times, I can imagine a metallic color with sheen (silver/grayish) that would perhaps make the room feel more "glam," if that makes any sense! My couch is a velvet like material. The darker throw pillows I added to the couch to match with the existing drapery. I have since been adding pops of citrus lime colors to the room.

Thanks again for all the help!
January 14, 2013 at 7:14pm   
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Yes exactly. You've seen fabric sample books? They have a whole book of a single fabric but in a rainbow of colours and shades, like the pages of a book. I'd select from there.

When I said "not shiny" it was because there was a suggestion up above for duppioni silk and I felt that was just too formal and "too much". There are linens that have metallic threads in them though :)

I see your room as having more matte surfaces--the beautiful rug, the upholstery, and so on. Linen weave drapes (a synthetic fabric or a linen blend) would more softly complement these existing items.

This is truly a project for a talented interior decorator who can go back to her resource centre and comb through the fabric books to find a range of linens that can be put together beautifully in an original one-of-a-kind way. The main fabric could be quite plain, but there could be inset bands of a feature fabric that's highlighted with metallic threads. That would be what I'd aim for.

As for colour, there's quite a few ways to go with that. Best to see what's available and out of those, narrow it down.

You are very welcome!
January 14, 2013 at 7:20pm   
anitajoyce
Lovely room. Love th view! Cream colored panels that you mentioned would be nice on the windows for an airy feel. Panels in a tan with a linen look would be nice also. Or panels with the color of the pillows on the side chair would work also.
January 14, 2013 at 7:24pm   
jencabral123
I agree with you on choosing a neutral colour. That way if you change the room down the road, you don't have to do drapes again. Also it looks like you have a lot of green around you, so let that beauty of nature stand out.
January 14, 2013 at 7:35pm   
kathrynmcdonald
I think a light cream would look great. The dark brown is too heavy for your lovely room.

Would you mind saying where you got that rug?
January 14, 2013 at 7:38pm   
jenpa8
You've made a big commitment to blue, I think you should go all the way. I see white drapes with a big, blue Greek key pattern around the edge. Very custom looking, this will be hot, hot, hot.
January 14, 2013 at 7:40pm     
adrimama
Thanks for all the suggestions; it is very helpful.

@ kathrynmcdonald, I purchased the rug from rugusa.com. It is the Moroccan Trellis Rug in charcoal color.

Here is the link: http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-moroccan-trellis/charcoal/200MTVS27E-76096.html .

Wait for the 65% off as I did. They have it multiple times a year!
January 14, 2013 at 7:46pm   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
what about these curtain designs? For more designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
January 14, 2013 at 8:51pm   
More Discussions
need help for my new house painting colors!!! pls help!!!
I need help for the entry. dining room, living room,...
Need help with curb appeal with side entrance
Need help and/or ideas for improving curb appeal and...
Lighting advice
Hi!! I just bought a small apartment with living and...
What colour should we paint our pergola?
Hi everyone, We've just put a pergola on over our...
Dining Room Help
I want to paint or wallpaper my dining room as well...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.