powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Just painted my kitchen and am not in love with it. What's wrong?
adianezh
January 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Should I keep this color or change it?. I though it would be gray and all I see is Slate blue.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I see blue as well. Take some poster boards and find some gray samples that you like. Paint one color per board and put them in various places around the room and see which tone is going in the direction you are trying to achieve.
January 14, 2013 at 12:36pm     
tvannorman
I'd take the the paint chip to a Benjamin Moore store and show them the pic, they could recommend a better gray. It looks pretty, but blue
January 14, 2013 at 12:36pm     
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
You may want to give it more depth of color with a charcoal or grey glaze to bring it closer to your grey as well as enabling a nice transition into the other materials. Prime and paint a piece of sheetrock the same as you have done with the walls. Test out a couple of glaze colors and the amount of glaze before you attempt it on your walls.
January 14, 2013 at 12:46pm     
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Like the glaze idea - you are right - it is so blue! Go for the gray glaze! PS - Like your kitchen BTW!
January 14, 2013 at 1:01pm     
kimberlya
Love your bar stools! I agree with the others. It's too blue.
January 14, 2013 at 5:16pm     
PRO
Faux Illusions LLC
putting a chocolate brown finish on the cabinets could help or going the other way with a light grey on the cabinets. Might make the walls look more grey. A glaze of the blue in a grey/brown would tone it down a bit. You could try it on a small area before doing the entire kitchen.
January 14, 2013 at 5:24pm     
PRO
Horizon Island Painting
painting and glazing cabinets would make crazy impact in this kitchen think chocolate or expresso to warm it up
January 14, 2013 at 6:03pm     
rayme
Since the floor and the cabinets are on the light side I would paint the walls a much deeper color.
It's all to light, not enough contract in my opinion.
January 14, 2013 at 6:06pm     
maulseth
What colors are in your backsplash? I agree that maybe you need more contrast between the walls and the cabinets. Maybe a light gray or greige to blend with your floor and countertop. I painted my family room blue with a western red cedar ceiling and I found that the blue and that particular shade of brown did not complement each other as well as a blue and dark brown. I repainted it a cream color and was much happier. Just an opinion. Your kitchen is beautiful. Good luck!
January 14, 2013 at 6:49pm     
kimanddale
If you're going to keep the white appliances,I would paint the cabinets white also ans then paint the walls a deeper charcoal grey or taupe-y grey that corresponds to the backsplash.
January 14, 2013 at 7:19pm     
nancymic
I have had colors appear on the wall much differently than on the chip. In one case completely solved the problem by switching to fluorescent light bulbs. Admittedly, it was the laundry room so no windows, but lighting really changes colors.
January 14, 2013 at 8:08pm     
jenpa8
Paint those cabinets white or ORANGE. Your backsplash will pop and you'll love that blue/gray. And lose that big box chandelier. Anything will look nice there, but I'm seeing two capiz shell chandeliers, so inexpensive yet fresh and fun!
January 14, 2013 at 8:20pm     
Jayme H.
I think the blue is not "grey" enough. I think that would make a big difference...a greyer blue.
January 14, 2013 at 8:22pm     
cookingistherapy
The paint seems to match the backsplash but makes the cabinets look too orange which doesn't go with anything else in the picture unless there is some orange undertones in the backsplash that we can't see. I would take some leftover backsplash tile as well as a cabinet door to the paint store and see what they suggest. Black cabinets would make your backsplash stand out and change the pendants to coordinate with the chandelier - currently they are not "cool" enough in their finish i.e. need to be a whiter metal. Then it will look completely put together.
January 14, 2013 at 8:39pm     
ojp2
You have too many colors and things going on here. Your backsplash is multicolored tile, your appliances are white, as well as your molding, sand colored floor, counter and some light-fixture globes. Paint it to match the wall by the door on the left, which is white. Decorate the top of the cabinets (Pick out the colors from the backsplash) and complimenting pops of color - It will draw the eye up as well. Loose all those small hanging lights and put in canned lights with a dimmer, paint your island base to white also, so it floats, get chairs that match - silver on one area and black on the other? ...and you'd be really smart to paint the cabinets white - using a marine spar varnish (matte finish) on them as a protective waterproof finish. (Use the spray, it will turn out without brush strokes & don't forget to sand and prime them with a product like Kilz, before painting. Spray everything for a professional look that won't kill you. They also make a vinyl paint to change out the chairs to match one another and it doesn't crack or chip. Best of Luck! ;-). Please go to this site From Traditional Home It shows you your basic Kitchen: http://www.traditionalhome.com/design_decorating/howwelive/before-after-smart-planning_ss10.html
January 15, 2013 at 3:48am     
Pam Michienzi
It needs to be a deep grey, take the color from tile backsplash
January 15, 2013 at 4:41am   
Jayme H.
I think paint a different wall paint is the key....Again...more grey.
January 15, 2013 at 5:36am     
PRO
Impeccable Design & Drapery LLC
Try Ben Moore Sparrow if you want a warmer darker color. If you like lighter try Sea Haze. It is a grey but with a hint of green, which will compliment the Maple color cabinets. I hope this helps!
January 15, 2013 at 5:58am     
catherinek708
I think BM "Pewter" would be nice. How about adding a crown molding? I agree with cookinistherapy when it comes to the lighting. And, why do you have a second set of pendants by the refrigerator? It looks odd to me.
If you want to keep the pendants over the island, then I would go with a simple drum shade lamp over the dining room table.
January 15, 2013 at 6:48am     
Mary Durocher
Your light fixtures work against one another. You also are bringing in some red and gold on a backdrop of blue and gray...that was unsettling to my eye.
January 15, 2013 at 6:58am     
mmilos
The yellow tones in the cabinets next to a grey will amplify any blue undertones in the grey.
January 15, 2013 at 7:30am     
treeg
The mosaic tile backsplash is clearly the focal point of your kitchen. I'm sure it is beautiful, however, the wall color is competing for attention. Did you only paint one wall? I would actually try a paint color like Sherwin Williams Amazing Gray, or even a lighter gray (and paint all the walls - there is too much going on in your kitchen, it needs continuity. You may have to prime over what you already painted. Your kitchen is light and airy, so painting it a dark color will just suck too much light out of the space (unless you are going to paint your cabinets white). Installing crown molding around the kitchen ceiling, and painting it in an antique white will make the room look finished. Also, the pendant fixture hanging in front of the refrigerator, it's too much. Consider moving it above your table, again, because there is too much competition from all the different elements in the space. I wouldn't recommend changing your cabinets, unless you hire a professional.
January 15, 2013 at 7:51am     
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
The pendant lights are definitely in the wrong place, the lighting should not be behind you in a kitchen, you are basically standing in your own shadow! Recessed lights would be a better choice and they need to be re-positioned closer to the upper cabinets
January 15, 2013 at 8:16am     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
its back to the basics with color. find or make a color wheel......yellow / red / blue . which ever color one paints a room, the color that comes next to that color (your wall color is next to your cabinets) the reciprocal color will be 'pulled out' IE: your wall cover is pulling a tone from the cabinets. The cabinets come off orange so it will be natural for the tone (blue/grey) will pull blue, as they are opposite each other on the color wheel. Something more of a green tone will come off more gray
January 15, 2013 at 8:44am     
PRO
ShamikoDesign
Slate or blue looks cold to me in the kitchen. With your warm color cabinets, it screams for warm cozy colours. I don't understand the location of the pendants. But I am ok on the Color. I think the walls could be very light canary yellow ... Lighter than your pendant Color... Then hand drawn thin vertical lines , in the Color of your back splash.. Grey,blue... About 8 inches apart. Do it on the walls n the walls of your island. Take out your accents on the top of your cabinets.change your chrome light fixtures to something more whimsical and fun... Since you have hand drawn lines. Your kitchen will look happy n cozy! Ready to have a nice French French breakfast!,
Oh yes... When you have warm cabinets don't choose white appliances but black.. or steel It makes a world of difference.
January 15, 2013 at 9:27am     
Lkristine
I can't see the backsplash very well, but from what I can see I think a color like this, or similar to it might look nice. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/squirreltail, I think if you went to gray it wouldn't look quite right with the flooring and other tan colors in the room. This color looks like a nice blend of gray and tan.
January 15, 2013 at 1:57pm   
Jayme H.
My experience with paint has ranged from a horror show to bliss...achieving bliss came from bringing home SAMPLES, samples and more samples...comparing those to the cabinets, flooring, colors in room, lighting, etc...Only way to be sure and get your correct shade. Go forward and may the force be with u and good luck! LOL
January 15, 2013 at 2:01pm     
c_beliveau
I made a similar mistake when I moved into my new house. I chose a color without considering the light in the house and everything. I thought I had a greige but it turned out more like a light beige pink. I hated it. I painted the walls a new color 2 weeks ago and the decorator I went to see told me to put the paint chip on a sheet of white paper and then put it on the wall. It really shows you the real color that is going to appear once you paint! Hope it helps! :)
January 15, 2013 at 5:03pm   
PRO
JAN MOYER
Paint the cabinets white, add some great silvery knobs, change out the light fixture, de-clutter the counters...and try the walls in Sherwin Williams "Zircon", Or Wish from Benjamin Moore. Perhaps some recessed or under cabinet lighting, as the pendant cluster on the right isn't hanging "over" anything... and looks a bit cluttered. Possibly use it over the table instead of the very traditional fixture
January 16, 2013 at 3:02am     
mjspinelli
Maybe you can try putting some oil rubbed bronze (dark brown) hardware or brushed nickel hardware on the cabinets and painting the walls a much warmer color like a deep red. Benjamin Moore makes a beautiful red called Poinsettia that will warm up the room and pull everything together. Also I love Jan's idea of moving the pendants over the table.
January 16, 2013 at 3:32am   
catherine cooke
There are way too many colours and themes going on in your kitchen -white door and fridge, wood cabinets, tiles one color, wall another, work top, lights etc etc. Make a list of all the colors and see which colors you like and which ones can be easily changed e.g. walls painted white or cabinets or both and let tiles and work top be the feature. Change wall colour anyway as that blue is too cold. Here is pic of grey kitchen. Light grey walls, with mixture of white and darker grey cabinets.
January 16, 2013 at 3:34am     
portfauxlio
You need to choose a "warm" grey. The warm color of the cabs contrasts and make the "cool" grey you've painted look blue.
January 16, 2013 at 3:44am     
lisafranklin
painting just the uppers a white, would really give you a more crisper /updated look.
January 16, 2013 at 3:54am   
Lisa-Marie Wells
Paint the cabinets a crisp white color and add some great knobs. Pendant lights over the island and stick to a more neutral gray color for the walls.
January 16, 2013 at 4:01am   
kidzmom3
Def. change out the far single drop lights. If you need light to spread out over work areas, try the elongated "spot" light fixtures, in satin finish to match your chandelier. Two thoughts: paint cabinets white & keep the blue/gray or go with others are saying, find the new "greige" color (beige/gray), especially if you intend to keep your beige looking floor/counter. Install brushed satin/nickel hardware (maybe $50-$60 multi-pack at box store, up to $200+ for others/online, check out ReStore if you have one near you). Replace or re-do your decorative accents above cabinets with items in blues/whites/grays/nickle. If items you now have can be painted, paint/remake them to blend with backsplash/cabinets.
January 16, 2013 at 4:05am   
summergirl73
The blue is just too light with the other tones you have in your kitchen. Go warm tones and I think you'll be happier. Think rich grey walls instead of light grey. Also try adding some bold cabinet hardware.
January 16, 2013 at 4:27am   
ewinterior
Whatever you decide for the paint color paint the doors and the moldings the same color..you are highlighting something that just confuses the space . I agree loose the fixture I would use a big floating glass ball to make it less directional...the blue may be better than the gray..not as cold ..pendent light should be smaller and clear ..
January 16, 2013 at 4:27am   
yankeegirl67
Slate Blue, Red and Black look good together - maybe you just need to change up your accent pieces.
January 16, 2013 at 5:08am   
Kim Schlossberg
Painting or changing the cabinet colors would be much more work and more expensive than repainting the walls - be really sure before you commit to that. I agree with the people who suggest trying different paint swatches on poster board, but I would add - be sure to look at them in different times of day, different lighting - colors change a lot depending on the lighting around them.
January 16, 2013 at 5:12am     
bev2459
Frankly, I like your kitchen colors as is. I agree with the others, lighting is the issue. Under cabinet and/or over cabinet lighting and cans in place of the pendants by the what has to be the sink area.
January 16, 2013 at 5:25am   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I agree with the others, and it should be more slate grey than blue. Also, it's very cluttered. I would try to remove as much as you can from the countertops and you will be much happier. Frankly, my initial thought was not the color, but the clutter.
January 16, 2013 at 5:33am     
godaddyoh
That color really doesn't go with your shade of cabinets, your cabinets have a lot yellow in them, try something surprising like a dark brown or one of the darker shades in you tile.
January 16, 2013 at 6:06am     
J. K. Wiskamp
What if you change your accents to orange? This ties in the warmth of the cabinetry and neutralizes the blue, making seem more grey. Take out the red, throw a large bath towel or blanket over the chair. You'll quickly see the change and know if that's the direction you want to go. Lots easier than painting/staining.
January 16, 2013 at 6:12am   
PRO
jinnie russell
You have brown tone cabinets-go with soft taupe or a grey taupe. What is the back splash colors?
January 16, 2013 at 6:34am   
PRO
Katy Bell Hamnes
Because the cabinetry has an orangey wood tone, the bluish gray paint is exaggerating that orange wood tone, and making your cabinetry appear much more orange. Depending on your budge, I'd take the cabinetry to the ceiling (a cabinet maker can add cabinet boxes to the top and build new doors so you can use the existing cabinets. It'll be much more updated and offer significant additional storage. Paint the cabinetry a creamy white and add bin pulls in a bronze - along with a couple lanterns - for interest and lighting. Then, paint your walls a beautiful gray - depending if you want to go dramatic - use a warm gray brown - Chelsea Gray by Ben Moore or a soothing, neutral gray, Sherwin Williams Amazing Gray or Comfort Gray. Be sure you "build in" the fride, by doing a cabinet box around the entire fridge; it'll look custom and won't stick out so much! And if it's it your budget, purchase a new counter depth fridge so it lines up with cabinetry, rather than protuding! Good Luck!
January 16, 2013 at 6:38am     
leannjohns
Repaint it a grey with a slight green undertone -- Ben More Señora Gray 1530. That should warm it up, show off your backsplash tile and blend better with the cabinets
January 16, 2013 at 6:56am   
angela428
Hi,
I believe you have too much going on in one section.
ARE THESE NEW CABINETS
If not in my humble opinion I would suggest you take the doors down and hire a pro to paint the cabinets white which will blend with your appliances. This may sound drastic, but it is the cabinets or the wall and we still have white appliances.

So, I would go for the cabinets.
Next the back splash will show up and so will your walls. I would then try a grey perhaps
dark granite from Behr or complimentary from another company. I would paint the doors, the trim and cut the grey paint with white 50% and paint the ceiling. This will give you the blue wall, grey trim and white cabinets. Simple and the blue should tone darker.

Lighting, you have two styles, for now I would remove one, make a choice and be in one style.

Next, we have a grey contemporary chair with a black chair and some table that I can not really tell what it is?

I would remove the table and leave the space open for now. Do they sit at the counter, is the second table your only place for the family? You need to decide, Goodbye to the stools or the table. If the table, it is too close,so you may want to send in the measurements of the room and more information.

You have a lot of information here to start. My last question is where does the door go?
And, do you have to have it, if not a nice arched entry would help to open the space. It is very simple to arch and if you are painting it will just happen.
In thinking about is, I would remove the large light. Then let us see if we have a better field of vision. Try this and see what you think, you may have to try a lot of things, but you will get there with all this help and your part is to send more information. A floor plan would help.

The alternate plan would take the table out, put in a simple sofa small and table and make it a stop sit visit area. Or simply two chairs.
Let us know how this works.

NOTE. Do your paint on a good piece of wood that you can get from Home Depot and paint that and put up when dry to see on the door, the wall, ceiling and floor will follow.

Send us a list of what is new, and I would also pick the cabinets that are raised over the microwave, corner and one other and change them to glass. It is very easy. Call a carpenter he will do the whole cabinet, and remove the door, take down the lights and patch. Put the 6 lights over the island at different, when in doubt height star with the lowest and do the scales for music.
COConsultants
January 16, 2013 at 6:58am     
abeck6
Although I have white cabinets, I once painted my kitchen a soft black color and loved it. It really makes a statement.
January 16, 2013 at 7:16am   
Andrew Mayzak
Color is beautiful, but not with routed oak cabinets. Replace them with modern white lacquered cabinets and swap out the chandelier for something more modern like what's hanging in the kitchen. Upgrade to stainless appliances when you can; they go with more kitchen colors than white.
January 16, 2013 at 7:19am   
Eileen Graham
I agree about the oak cabinets. You could definitely get away with just painting them, not putting out for brand new ones. Maybe add gray hardware? But I think the yellow in the cabinets and the yellow pendant lighting, as well as your green/orange accents above the cabinets are affecting the paint color. A dove gray would be elegant IMO. Also, an updated chandelier would really change the space.
January 16, 2013 at 7:42am   
lctpdc
I agree there are too many disparate colors/styles going on here. My suggestion is to paint a color to match the counter tops - it looks like that color is picked up in the backsplash tiles already. Choose it carefully as suggested above. That will minimize the contrast of the white appliances. Then find some wonderful coordinating lighting for both areas.
January 16, 2013 at 7:53am   
madeliene
I see nothoing wrong wih your all color. I think it is the Island tha tis your problem, a little of the same wood that is used on your cabinets, and the room will seem more balanced to you. Nice job.
January 16, 2013 at 7:58am   
madeliene
PS: Of your backspach is gray, I would use gray on the walls, otherwise it is very nice.If your backsplash is blue, leave it alone and just add some of the same wood as your cabinets, it will look perfect. Grounded and balanced.
January 16, 2013 at 8:01am   
bjmuller
A soft yellow would warm up the space, soften the cabinets. Try Devine Ray.
January 16, 2013 at 8:15am   
madeliene
bjmuller I forgice me, but this is a com=ntrmporary style kitchen,, not Coountry. I Love a soft yellow in aCountry kithcen , but not this one.
January 16, 2013 at 8:29am   
madeliene
bjmuller/ I diagree stronlgy. In a Country Kitchen soft yellow is perfect,, but this womans kithcen is contemporary.
January 16, 2013 at 8:32am   
lthomay
You don't like it because it's blue or looks blue in the picture. Blue is not appetizing. I know because I made the same mistake in my dining room. I reselected a gray/green (close to sage) and it was so soothing, I painted my kitchen the same color. Friends came over and liked it so much they painted their bedroom the same color.
January 16, 2013 at 8:34am   
lakeviewlady
The paint choice is great- it appears to have been color-matched to the glass tile back splash. Spend a little more $$ and paint the remaining walls, as the project gives the appearance of being incomplete (if this is dining room/kitchen space only). This color lends itself to contemporary and country, and country french styles-therefore giving you a choice in decorating themes as time passes and your taste changes. The room simply needs a little more texture and personality. Add additional items to your decor-and the paint color will appear to change as well.
The stools at the island are contemporary-the chairs at the dining table are definitely not. The dark color stops the eye, they don't seem to blend with anything in the room. You can change the look of the dining chair backs and warm up the appearance of the room at the same time with a slipcover-washable of course, possibly an 'outdoor' fabric-(shaped similar to a pillow case) in a textured and/or patterned blue-slightly darker than the wall color, brown, or tan-or a combination of two or three colors.
The seats do not have to be covered, as the leather/vinyl makes it much easier to wipe the seats clean. The addition of a table runner or place mats will add color and warmth.
Address the decor on top of the cabinets- the current items appear an after thought. Here is your chance to show your personality. Add greenery to 'soften' the look between and in front of items- use large coffee table type books (work great for props), plates, vases, statuary -in similar styles and colors.
Keep items sized proportionate to the space above those cabinets. There's a lot of empty space that could be enhanced with little investment. Shop yard sales, outlets, second hand stores, etc. -as these items will not be viewed close up.
Changing all the light fixtures to a matching style and metal finish (perhaps match to the bar stools) will give you the biggest return for your money. It's the first thing one notices when viewing your photograph. The current pendant fixture near the refrigerator can be eliminated..saving you $$$. Use a larger fixture- perhaps a pot rack with lights- over the island area to give a visual separation from the kitchen. It can be used for hanging many items (not just pots & pans) such as dried herbs & flowers, baskets, stained glass ornaments, greenery, etc. (There are many affordable styles available today-with two and three lights, at home stores such as Home Depot and Lowe's). Purchase a single pendant style for the table, as this is a casual eat-in combination style area and does NOT lend itself to a 'formal' style chandelier fixture.
My final suggestion is to add hard wear to those cabinets (as your budget permits) matching them to the metal finish of the light fixtures you choose. Keep the proportions of the cabinets in mind...pulls are available in different sizes, styles, and finishes.

Good luck with your project. You are on your way to a great start. I like the color!
January 16, 2013 at 9:05am     
Bonnie
Grays can be cool or warm. You have selected a very cool gray. Try a warm gray like Benajmin Ashley Gray, hampshire gray, owl gray or Winter gates. But still you will need to buy some 24x36 foam core board at a place like Staples. Paint the whole side of a board one color..coat twice. Look at the board in different light and move it around the room. Evaluate over a period of days, and then select your final paint color. Do not try to select a paint color by painting various swatches on the wall it won't be big enough and your judgement will be skewed by other adjacent samples. It costs a few bucks to sample this way but it is worth it in the long run...
January 16, 2013 at 9:12am     
Kristin Bailey
Typically it is good to paint a kitchen the color of a fruit, veggie or food substance. You need a warmer color. The blue is dismal.
January 16, 2013 at 9:16am     
clairemccusker
Wow, so many good ideas from all the readers. I also think the blue clashes with the light wood. However I would not paint the cupboards, looks solid timber a d you may have spent a bit on them. There is a dark grey in the tile splash back that I would recommend for the walls. I alway use white in my interior as little highlights in a room rather than a background. Your appliances start this trend for you, I would change your light fitting all to white. Simple pendant lights in the kitchen but a more elaborate light above your dining area. I would also go for white bar chairs. You will be amazed how making the walls darker all the elements in the room will stand out, even the atchitectural feature around your white door will stand out. Just be careful when choosing the white element for the space that its crisp white like your appliances, if its too cream it will clash. Good luck, sure it will look lovely when it is done.
January 16, 2013 at 9:41am   
Karen Seymour
You will have to decide how much more time and money you want to invest in your kitchen. If it was my house the first thing I would do is find a way to organize the clutter on the counters; baskets, drawers, cupboards or trash. ;) I would then paint the cabinets white for sure. And then paint the walls a much warm gray (also known as a gray taupe) I personally would prefer a gunmetal type gray but with your tile floor I think you should keep it a little warmer. I would then put cabinet hardware on the cabinets most likely with a peuter type of finish. I would replace your island bar stools with a saddle type of stool in a dark wood finish. I would change you lighting completely. Can lights in the kitchen would be best and a great drum shade fixture over the table. There needs to be less stimulation going on in your kitchen. The focus should be on the glass tile backsplash and crisp white cabinets. Oh, and once all that was done, I know I would be wanting to change out the counter tops....
The wonderful thing about a home and decorating is that it is always a work in progress. Have fun with it and don't let it stress you out. In the end it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks as long as you and your family love it! Have fun! :)
January 16, 2013 at 9:43am   
PRO
Absolute Living Today LLC
If all you are trying to do is change the paint color then I suggest you pull the darker grey from the glass tile backsplash as the paint color. Your bar stools are a light grey and if you paint the island light grey you will have a monochromatic look in which the bar stools blend into the island. If that is what you want then fine, but if you want the walls to pop and the stools to be seen then go darker grey. When selecting the color grey do what everyone is telling you to do, paint 2 ft x2 ft pieces of drywall to test the colors and hold them up in the kitchen lighting to see how it will truly look. Make sure you use a primer under the paint sample so you get the true effect of the paint. Good Luck
January 16, 2013 at 9:46am     
kicksychick
Your backsplash works well with your warm wood cabinets. Pick a paint colour that is similar to one of the lighter shades in your tiles.
January 16, 2013 at 9:46am   
gypsyrose17
I would go with antigue white, which is a creamy/tan/ivory shade, with your white woodword and door it will bring out the color in your counters and backsplash and make your kitchen seem larger.
January 16, 2013 at 9:49am   
makeupbizz
It looks a little bland. It appears that you got the blue from one of the colors in the backsplash. I love color and think that a burnt orange (light) would make it pop!
January 16, 2013 at 10:33am   
MaryJo
I had this problem a few years back when painting paneling in the basement. The grey looked blue. So I took the leftover blue and added black paint to it, and repainted vertical stripes. This truly toned down the blue.
January 16, 2013 at 10:58am   
teresatrax
Best grey ever! Is Benjamin Moore's METROPOLIS
January 16, 2013 at 11:26am   
klsl
It does look blue, and your stool look great in the picture . So play off of them with replacing the light fixture into the silver tones all of the especially the ones by the cabinets area, and then add silver handles to your cabinets and watch it all pop and draw together. But if you really want a change try eggplant purple with your greys and whites, I love mine! And my cabinets look like yours. I would start with removing the yellow stuff like those light fixtures first and I bet you'll see a big change. Good luck.
January 16, 2013 at 1:51pm   
cklingler
Painting the cabinets would make a big difference
January 16, 2013 at 1:57pm   
Kathy Keenan
I would get away from the grays and blues. Try complimentary color that is a contrast instead of one that looks like you are trying to match the tile!
January 16, 2013 at 3:23pm   
Julia Hale
I see that so many say go similar to the beautiful backsplash. I say go in a contrast and show off the backsplash. You just need to warm the room with some warm color or items. the island should be a different color from the walls to make it look as if a nice piece of furniture. (pulls on doors may warm it)
January 16, 2013 at 3:25pm   
Jill Brown
Notice the colour of your floor next to the cabinets. It is in the yellow tones so helps the cabinets disappear. The walls being a blue gray emphasize the cabinets. The panels of the island look like the same colour as the walls. I'd think of painting the walls a creamy white or find a gray that is much lighter and that has no blue or red undertone. I would then choose a colour that is similar to the darkest tile in your backsplash and use that on my island.
January 16, 2013 at 4:13pm   
jez7
I think the blue is very pretty actually.
January 16, 2013 at 5:12pm   
blenderdesign
Here's a super quick mockup of what the cabinets would look like painted white. Much fresher and blends in with the white appliances.
January 16, 2013 at 5:26pm     
Joy Foraker
For me it's the color of the cabinets that needs changed. White is the best suggestion because it blends in your appliances, but Expresso would work too. The hanging lights are not helping you try to match the lovely one over your table. I'd add a large natural wood birdcage and several pieces of Brass to your collection on top of the cabinets. Warm it up!
January 16, 2013 at 6:35pm   
ellensmith
I agree that painting your cabinets a grey and making the walls a lighter shade would help but what bothers me the most is your lighting/ The dining fixture is fine but the penants need to be in the chome or polished chrome finsih. Even if you initially went with a light grey on walls and changed the lighting I think you would see a big diffrence in tying it all together. Also i you would remove some of stuff from counters and also above counters. and tied in the chrome look I thing it would also help and minimialize.
January 16, 2013 at 7:25pm   
njgardengal
I see what you're referring to. I do love the wall and back splash colors; blue in a typically busy work space is a good way to cool down a hotspot.

---I wonder if you chose the colors with a previous lighting scheme which may have had a different color temperature from the current scheme.

--Would you want to try bulbs with a different color temp before planning on repainting either the walls or the cabinetry?

--And since the room seem to have lots of bright light from outdoors, the time of day might influence how the color affects you. Perhaps allowing for the changing daylight with some cool light bulbs in certain fixtures and warm in others, will allow different lighting schemes at different times of day?
January 16, 2013 at 8:07pm   
Gray
Hey there,

Well this is what your kitchen looks like with dark grey wall, do you like it now? http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4227/greyv.jpg

I think because of the bright sunlight and the tones in the room, with reflections, it will need a fairly dark grey with no blue in it, very desaturated, very neutral, and darker than you think to work.

And of course, if you don't like it, change it, because it will bug you forever. Hope that helps!
January 16, 2013 at 9:57pm   
Gray
Just realized I could upload a photo here, which may be easier.
January 16, 2013 at 9:59pm     
ewinterior
That is a fantastic tool, kitchen improved by 50%
January 17, 2013 at 2:49am   
Debi McCann
Dry brush with silver to tone down the blue.
January 17, 2013 at 4:00am   
dukedog
I would not change a thing. I think you did a great job. It looks great. Keep it as it is.
January 17, 2013 at 5:18am     
Sharyn
@Blenderdesign - GREAT PHOTO!! Look how the blue turned more grey. Imagine swapping out the glass globes on the pendants to white milk glass as in the chandelier or for a pop of color orange or red would bring drama to the room. Accessories in that color scheme would look great too.
January 17, 2013 at 6:52am     
sealedesign
change it. I often try a color and can only get it exactly right by testing. You can use the paint you already have. Mix in some black and put it on cardboard or even on the wall. some people suggest using the darkest color in the tile backsplash.
January 17, 2013 at 7:19am   
Kelly Wilkins
Hi there. Choose a deep grey with more brown tones in them. A dark colour will warm up the space, you have loads of light to deal with so you won't be disappointed. The darker the better, your backsplash is lovely as well as your choices for the lighting and stools. Also, your hardware needs to be bigger. If you can, find bigger drawer and cupboard handles on the lower cupboards at least you are in great shape.
January 17, 2013 at 7:27am   
strevo
I would go with a darker grey closer to the color of the grout on your floor. I think that would help it work a little better.
January 17, 2013 at 7:32am     
Bonnie
I think the white cabinets looks best-- really beautiful! I think the pendants would need to be changed out as well... but my first choice for the lighting would be to get rid of some of the pendants altogether. I think there is too just much hanging lighting for the size and layout of the room. I would hang two pendants, in the silver finish with white globes, over the island, and keep the chandelier over the table. The rest of the lighting would be better as canned lights.
January 17, 2013 at 8:44am   
sandrapratt
I would take a sample of your back splash to get a paint more in the grey rather than blue grey. I have had the same problem for years. Last year I found the perfect gray in the Behr Premium Plus Ultra Statin - Elephant Ear is a great color. I have also been known to take a shirt or pants that is in the color I want & they can match that color.

Go online & look at all the colors & put it on their visual wall to help you!

The color you have now is too blue & will continue to look blue as it ages.
January 17, 2013 at 9:10am   
PRO
JAN MOYER
@jkwiskamp
In your question you asked "what is wrong?" I think it is simply this: You are a modern girl, trapped in somewhat dated oak cabinetry. So you changed what you could easily change; the new pendant lights, the glass backsplash and you painted in a tone that exists in the splash. To get to the result I THINK you are after....note I said think, soften the walls to a very pale grey,( color isn't about matching, it is blending) paint the cabinets white which will absorb the white appliances, add some great knobs. Clear off the counter clutter, see if you can get some under the cabinet lighting and take away the pendants that have no support underneath, and as soon as you're able, change the very traditional light over the table. You will be stunned when you allow the "modern girl" in you, to finish the job she began.
January 20, 2013 at 5:08am     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
Jan is wise, and in this case thte white cabinets with help get you on your way. The wood tone adds a 'natural' element that is far from the direction you are wanting ....listen to Jan
January 20, 2013 at 8:25am   
Peggy Hogan
My cabinets are oak and I painted the kitchen BM Beach Glass, which looked more gray than it did when I painted but I love it. One difference with mine and yours is that I have stainless steel appliances. I think with the white appliances, I'd paint the cabinets white too. Would be lovely, like the mock up above.
January 20, 2013 at 9:37am   
ojp2
So, have you digested what's been written? I for one would like to know what you agree and disagree with - remember that before you do anything your Kitchen is about 12-13' by ?. If you go darker, it will look like a cave. @Blenderdesign photoshopped your cabinets, lightened. What direction are you leaning.
Please help us, so we can help you.
January 20, 2013 at 12:24pm   
Nancy
I believe. Your white appliances make it look blue, they have stainless contact paper. For appliances It's pretty cool...also your light globes. In the room some are very white some are off white. Make them the same....I'd darken the gray....and possibly. Paint cabinets white or glaze them darker....
January 20, 2013 at 5:05pm   
angela428
Hello to all designers,
Does anyone see a response from the customer, I might have missed it, but in the very beginning I suggested white cabinets and asked an important question, had these cabinets just been purchased. If yes, that is an ouch for the customer and I see no response, except all of us writing to one another?????
January 21, 2013 at 9:30am     
adianezh
Hello,
Thank you for all your responses.
Im new to houzz and Im still learning to browse my way around the site. This site has been an amazing source of information and so many friendly help.
I have decided to change the color of the wall because the cabinets won't be replaced. Also, I am going to remove the lights in front of the refrigerator and the dining chandelier will be replaced with the removed lights. I will also move the other lighting foward in the island and add some spot lights.
The color I will choose is called Coconut shell from Behr to keep with the warm effect of the kitchen.
The backsplash is brown, chrome, frost white and in the picture it might have looked blue due to the wall color which was called Twillight from Behr. Attached is the color of the backsplash. Lets see how that works....
January 21, 2013 at 10:34am     
Nancy
I think that will be better....it's alot of work...but will be satisfying when done,, isn't this site just amazing? I just love it...and it oes take awhile to find your way around , but well worth the time and effort...does that paint color match one of the colors in the backsplash? You might want to change out your chairs. So they all match at island and table....put some oil rubbed bronze lighting and knobs and pulls on your cabinets.... Good luck...can't wait o see the finished product...
January 21, 2013 at 11:06am   
adianezh
This site is awesome! Yes, color matches the backsplash. I like the idea of painting the chair in the island another color as well. Below is a better picture of the kitchen uncluttered and the light fixture changed. Also the marmol on the dining table is the same color as some of the backsplash pieces. This is kitchen work in progress....
January 21, 2013 at 12:50pm     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
looks nice did you repaint or is that the same was when we started here
January 21, 2013 at 12:54pm   
adianezh
Its the same color. The first picture was during the early day time and it was very bright and this one its a bit cloudy. Also, I eliminated the chandelier on the dining table and added a spot light on top of the refrigerator.
January 21, 2013 at 1:06pm   
Nancy
I would paint your Island dark brown , like the darkest brown in back splash...maybe change the island stool. to wood with same color of leather on your chairs.. Too much going on with all those chairs.get Some darker marble tiles as close to table as possible. Tile over counter. Darker ...or new counters Maybe. I forgot you have chrome in the backsplash....so X out the oil rubbed bronze knobs etc.... Sorry... I am going thru same thing.....and I have mismatched chairs at island and table. Bought before painting. Bad move....
January 21, 2013 at 1:45pm     
Khoo EH
I believe 'tone' is much more influential than 'hue' or colors in terms of paint effects. Just do a small experiment, change the above photo into black and white mode and you shall see that the wall and the cabinet is of almost the same tone with vague outlining effects... no contrast seen there. If you compare the tone above and below the hanging cabinet, you shall see that the tiles below the hanging cabinet make better contrast... mostly due to the tone difference. The door and the surrounding wall make better contrast there. Your wall is of middle tone and your cabinet too is of middle tone... and putting it together be disastrous. Probably changing your wall to a very dark (better i think) or very light tone is the way to go.
January 25, 2013 at 1:51am   
mswoe042
I think cabinets need to be changed to maybe white, like refrigerator if you keep the same blue wall color. If you'd rather change wall color try matching the backspash - darker, but still think cabinets need to change
January 25, 2013 at 8:05am   
Marilyn Wilkie
I agree with ShamikaDesign way up there. Your cabinets are warm and gray/blue/slate are cold colors. Your picture on my monitor actually shows as kind of lavender hue next to the door. Were you pulling a color out of your backsplash for the walls? Do you have a large family or lots of visitors? There is a lot of seating in that kitchen.
I'm not sure that you want to go to the work or expense of painting these cabinets. Paint is a more temporary finish than the natural finish also. It will chip and if it isn't a good job then it will be very noticeable because we stand very close to kitchen cabinets all of the time. You started off your comment just saying you didn't like the wall color. I think that is a simple problem to be dealt with simply. The pendants hanging in front of the right bank of cabinets don't make any sense. Do you also have under cabinet lighting? The pendants won't provide that, as you know. BTW, we have that same chandelier over our dining room table in brushed nickel.
January 25, 2013 at 8:38am   
PRO
JAN MOYER
adianezh,

Dear Modern Girl,
Take the trip to the final destination, paint the cabinets glossy white, add some silvery pulls, and soften the walls to a pale muted grey......OH!!! I think I said that earlier : ) Already looks a hundred percent better without the light fixture and the clutter! : ) Thumbs up, and keep going!
January 25, 2013 at 8:40am     
Madi
A grey with the slightest bit of beige would play with the colors of your cabinets/lighting.
January 27, 2013 at 11:15am     
reggiem
Great choice to go with warm harmonizing color on the walls. Going with analogous color instead of your complementary color scheme will work with yellow-orange, wood cabinets, warm flooring and counter tops. Don't forget to paint your ceiling 2 shades lighter than walls. The appliances will still pop out because they are white.
January 28, 2013 at 1:51pm     
adianezh
@JAN MOYER Thank you for your advice and I like my Modern Girl name.lol. It definitely would make sense to paint the cabinets white because the appliances are white but these appliances were included when we purchased the house so I’m thinking of buying stainless steel appliances in the near future. I bought nice modern hardware for the cabinets so I will be posting photos of that very soon. I have accessorized my cabinet top with modern decorations. Since I have a great room design, I’m making some improvements to the living/dining room area before deciding on paint. You can check my other discussions for photos of the whole area. Thank you everybody for being so nice and helpful :-)
January 31, 2013 at 6:53am   
PRO
JAN MOYER
adianezh
GIVE IT UP MODERN GIRL!!!! Honey let that girl out. Stainless is super with white. It is super with all the grays, and even charcoal cabinets!!! The oak is trying to tell a different story, and that is not YOUR story. Believe it if you can, it is true.
January 31, 2013 at 7:00am   
PRO
JAN MOYER
adianezh
Yeah!! Even charcoal! Anything but oak will transport u to modern girl land. Below was an oak kitchen...and no more.
January 31, 2013 at 7:23am   
PRO
JAN MOYER
WRONG PIC ABOVE.....No tech weenie here!!!
January 31, 2013 at 7:30am   
Marilyn Wilkie
I'm thinking black cabinets (or white) for the second home we are about to buy.
January 31, 2013 at 8:58am   
adianezh
Beautiful Kitchen! Love the look with the wood floors.
January 31, 2013 at 9:45am   
adianezh
@JAN MOYER. I was reading up on painting kitchen cabinets and found something called Gel Stain to darken oak cabinets. Have you heared of this, they say its pretty user friendly. Below is a before and after photo. Expresso cabinets would look great with all my other dark wood furniture. Anybody else has hear of this?
January 31, 2013 at 1:50pm     
Nancy
Yep....it would look sharp in there....google it. Or type it in on the search in houzz....
January 31, 2013 at 2:18pm   
PRO
JAN MOYER
adianezh
Dear modern girl, i believe that is a Minwax product. Look, you really don't need to agonize over it. if you went to a kitchen cabinet place, and asked where all the oak cabinets went..they would say to inexpensive apartment complexes.!!! So... you want a luxurious high end modern look. Take the EASY path and paint them, add some great hardware. Sherwin Williams Peppercorn, or even the glossy white and you will be on your way. If you were my client, the paint would already be IN THE PAN. : ) It isn't a sin, you won't go to jail, you will just have a kitchen you love especially when you get new appliances. With either color! Just gonna have to trust me on that one.
January 31, 2013 at 3:24pm   
adianezh
@ JAN MOYER. You make me laugh! I shall make you proud, you will see..:-)
February 1, 2013 at 7:27am   
Emily Hurley
Adianezh, Did you end up painting the cabinets? Dying to know!
May 9, 2014 at 2:43pm     
mswoe042
the dark Gel Stain pictured that looks dark gray/black would look good with those slate blue walls. After all this time, what did you do with your cabinets?
May 14, 2014 at 9:17am   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.