Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Angled rambler needs portico for interest
joyfitz
January 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I live in a rambler whose double entry doors are on the inside angle of the house. Photos of the house are below. I’d like ideas for an open portico to add interest to the flat lines of the house...the problem of course is that the entry is at the corner of the angle so the portico would have to be at an angle or partial on one side in order to be centered at the door.
Ideas welcome!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Only see one pic and it doesn't seem to be of the DD your needing help with.
January 14, 2013 at 4:12pm   
Jayme H.
Thinking it would need to be a wide portico..and it would involve both eaves. Hard to see a lot from this angle, distance...I think it would look nice and could be done...is a portico your only choice or do u like. ..pergolas? Was just thinking it would probably wreak less havoc with your roofline than a portico.
January 14, 2013 at 4:24pm     
joyfitz
Pergola would be great...probably not overwhelm the small rambler so much. Would a tall, narrow one look good? What kind of photo would help more?
January 14, 2013 at 4:40pm   
Jayme H.
I just couldn't see the entire area where it would be placed. From what I would see I thought maybe that curved one (or one similar) would look good/and at about that height. Thinking a good carpenter could do the job and not mess up your roof, etc.
January 14, 2013 at 4:42pm     
joyfitz
did send 2...what type of photo would help most?
January 14, 2013 at 4:44pm   
Jayme H.
I was thinking from a viewpoint of standing looking at the door from the angle u want the pergola to be at...sorta at an angle with a full view of the landing/door and entrance..and far enough back to see where the pergola would go...did that make any sense at all?
January 14, 2013 at 5:06pm   
shirlzam
The pergola idea isn't bad but think about a modern take on the traditional re interpret a pergola to add
height and presence!
January 14, 2013 at 6:15pm   
Jayme H.
Just noticed the windows with the curves....would further tie a curved pergola to the home.
January 14, 2013 at 7:03pm   
lorna_kw
Joy,
Where is photo #2? I'm interested in this as it is similar to our house's entry situation and it would be helpful to have another angle of the entry image.
January 14, 2013 at 11:55pm   
PRO
SAS Consults / SAS Designs
Joy,
Is the house a 90 degree angle? I do like the pergola idea. I might think curved on the left and then going square into the house on the right. Another thing that would help a lot would be to reconfigure the walkway or add another section to the walkway that would go directly to the door. I would think it would start just to the left of where you were standing. Right now with this layout the front door seems like more of a side entrance so you are definitely on track with defining this as the main entrance. When people view a home they do not want to have to think about how to get to the door. If there is a definitive path to the door then they can appreciate the home and the landscape without having to consistently check their "map" for how to get where they are going.
Scott
January 15, 2013 at 3:39am     
joyfitz
No, it's more of a 45 degree angle...will try to attach plot. It definitely has a frontal entrance feel so I don't think that needs the change, it's just that the roof line, the view from the street and coming up the driveway is so uninteresting because of the straight roof line. The neighborhood is eclectic with many large houses, gabled and with lots of interest; this one is the poor kid on the block so I just want to give it some pzazz.
January 15, 2013 at 4:13am     
joyfitz
here's the plot
January 15, 2013 at 4:16am   
Jayme H.
I am not a designer..but have designed some things that worked on homes...thinking this is the way to go...consider the view from all angles when are planning this..also think about the view from the street, driving up to your home, etc...I recommend getting with a contractor and being an active part in this so u get the finished product u want. Try to imagine how it would look from each perspective/even draw it out and don't worry if it's amateurish...try get the idea somewhat on paper to show the contractor. Love that you like the idea, and I do think this is going to add to your home in a big way..wondering if painting your front door a vibrant color would make an impact too?..
January 15, 2013 at 4:49am   
joyfitz
Thanks Jayme..I've spoken with contractors and they say they can do it, but they are not designers and think it too difficult to design themselves....will try to sketch some ideas and see what I come up with
January 15, 2013 at 4:54am     
Jayme H.
Think of where u want your columns to be ... etc...and do u want them substantial or less so...I like chunky-looking with trim around tops and bottoms, etc. Will need to figure out what the base is....But sketch it out with the house in the background of so u can visualize where to put things...Ie: no support column in front of a window, etc...Draw a rough of the front of the house and plug in how u want it to look.roof line is a concern and how the pergola will connect to the house at roofline and on the sides..the contractor should be able to point out to you his perspective and work with u...I did this with a guy with NO design sense and it turned out great!! Can't wait to see this...also show him pics of real pergolas u like, already on homes.
January 15, 2013 at 5:14am   
joyfitz
New photos as requested...hopefully these will show the flat roofline - what I want to add an "A" angle to with a open entry portico - both from the driveway and from the street...
January 15, 2013 at 3:19pm   
PRO
Jodie Cook Landscape Design
Interesting dilemma. One of the things that comes up when adding a pergola to a low eave is that it can cause the entry to feel low and cramped, or else, if it pulls off of the roof line higher than the eave, it can draw attention to the low eave. I think you should try to make the entry feel more expansive and not try to attach it to the eave or roof.

A way around this is to use a peaked pergola rather than a flat one. Make sure the pergola matches the architectural style you're after for your home, so the photos below aren't necessarily to be taken literally.

Another thought is to install a fairly large, peaked entry arbor closer to the driveway, maybe even include seating benches or a more formal container planting arrangement to make a bold entry statement. Then re-do the landscaping and entry path to emphasize the door.

[houzz=Ashford Associates]

[houzz=Pickering]
January 16, 2013 at 8:59am   
Jayme H.
Yes, a peak built in could be a consideration for sure...but I also think a flat top one would work as well. I have seen them on one story homes and they looked fun..would be a personal preference for sure Pic is just to show one on a one story for an idea how it would look in re: roof line.
January 16, 2013 at 9:49am     
Vicki D
This might not be viable but I know someone with a similar challenge and the solution was to recess the entryway. They cut into the interior about 4' and while I would hate to give up the square footage, the result was very impressive.

Another totally different approach might be accomplished with bold landscaping to better define the area around the entrance and then paint the doors with a color other than what is on the siding and the window trim.
January 16, 2013 at 11:00am   
Jayme H.
Also, I have seen modified pergola with a "peak" area towards the front of it...not extending all the way back, and hollow which I do think would also work ....It has to in to look right...

Personally, I would not tear into the main house unless I was prepared for the expense and mess.
January 16, 2013 at 11:15am   
sandrapratt
The attach house has a lot going on that your house doesn't but I believe that the roof line that is at the front door would be a great add on for your front door & I would continue with a arbor going around to the end of the house where your garage is would look great. The pillar style is one that would bring it all together.
January 17, 2013 at 9:47am   
joyfitz
I do like the ideas for a peaked entry open pergola to add interest to the flat roof line in the center of the house...the main problem is designing it, as the door is not centered where the peak would be, as it would be if dealing with only one roof line. Rather the peak would have to descend onto the side line of the house and have a different appearance on each side. This is what I am having trouble perceiving. Perhaps starting the modified pergola to the left of the door on the roof, peaking it over the door then dropping it down to an arbor along the garage side might work. What do you think?
January 18, 2013 at 10:20am   
sandrapratt
As you can see from the picture the peaked entry is not center on this house either. I truly believe that this would work for your house since the arbor would be turned in the corner of the pitch of your roof. I took my finger and covered the other roof lines so you could not see them, it gave me a better idea of what it would look like on your house. Good luck, please send out after picture for all of us to admire.
January 18, 2013 at 10:41am   
Jayme H.
Thinking the peak would need to be centered not to the door itself...What if the top of the pergola was all peaked/not centered on the door itself but on the house? ..If it were wide enough, maybe it could work that way. Wondering if the peak closest to the house could be notched to fit vs. messing with roofline itself? Ignore the second peak on my pic...wanted to show the whole top peaked, closest pic I found.
January 18, 2013 at 11:04pm     
Jayme H.
Hope it's not turning into a nightmare for you. I would go with the least troublesome option whether a pergola or a portico. If a pergola gets too complicated it will end up just as expensive as a portico. I suggested the pergola thinking of not affecting roof lines-chopping into those. If the look wouldn't be right for your home, and the peak is what you want, I would weigh which option was the most desirable in appearance and cost....good luck, hope to see what you do!
January 19, 2013 at 9:56am   
uberv
You can fight the existing architecture or go with it. A lot of these comments are fighting with the low roof and the angled placement of the entrance. I see the brick veneer around the door and small entry porch as a problem. I'd remove all the brick and create a wide entry which spans the angle and has a full width of low riser stone stairs leading up to a stone platform. This would tie into the stone walkway from the garage. I'd continue the clapboard around the door and replace the doors and light fixture with a more contemporary style. Glass doors are a security concern for me. To the left of the door, I'd add a simple wall mounted fountain maybe in copper to tie into the new lighting. If the garage doors are paneled, I'd change them to a slab style too.
January 20, 2013 at 11:33am   
joyfitz
Thanks for all your wonderful comments and suggestions! I am getting a little confused as to what it is that would really do the trick, and perhaps I need to draw something myself, which perhaps I could send to you for critique. Have personal drawings been used on this blog?
January 22, 2013 at 10:18am   
Jayme H.
I think so...One thing to keep in mind is what you want and how much you want to spend, etc. If you are willing to do an entry overhaul, then I would recommend listening to those who have such ideas...sometimes the lines get blurred. Still feeling the task could be done without such a huge deal ...I have seen some really cute entry ways on one story homes that incorporate pergolas and/or porticos...and they don't mar the overall look or destroy it's architectural integrity.
January 22, 2013 at 10:47am   
joyfitz
Thanks Jayme...do you have photos of any you've seen on one story homes?
January 22, 2013 at 6:32pm   
Jayme H.
Not at the moment, but I can try to get some..I had one on a former home in the back over a deck..it was a nice custom built one and just had the flat top..looked fine. Another in our neighborhood had a small one over the front door, flat on top..Looked fine.
January 22, 2013 at 7:55pm   
PRO
LB Interiors
I added an A-frame to my new bay window. Maybe you could reverse this view and extend your design much wider than mine. It also could be an asymetrical look where the longer exstension is on the left of your double doors. The peak would still be over the center of your double doors. If you add columns be sure to note where they will meet to the ground and not vertically block out other windows or not be a good design visual. This made a big difference to my nondescript ranch house roofline.
Exterior homes 1 Exterior homes 2
January 22, 2013 at 8:21pm   
Jayme H.
Another one on a one story-sorry this is not a one story, but has the door in a similar spot.
January 22, 2013 at 8:30pm   
joyfitz
OK...you're giving me lots of ideas...the assymetrical peaking over the door is what I originally had in mind but can't fathom how it would land on the wing of the house on the right which comes forward down the sidewalk. There are the 2 small windows on the roof on that side to contend with also...Thanks for the thoughts!
January 23, 2013 at 5:23am   
Jayme H.
If the boards run horizontally across the front entry area/I think a peaked "face" could be attached to the front, without a huge problem. What direction did you want to run the boards? I think it would look better if the pergola boards ran horizontally if it's a flat topped pergola. If it's a peaked pergola, the whole "roofline" is peak. And if there are two "peaks", it's actually two pieces tie in together.
January 23, 2013 at 10:21am     
Jayme H.
How about something like this/angled in to fit where your roof line meets? Top could be more peaked/posts could be different, color could be whatever...
January 23, 2013 at 10:58am   
joyfitz
yes...perhaps even a little simpler. I like the open look and would make it simpler with a peak that I would like to go above the roof line ...the problem is angling it and getting the assymetrical look right. Thanks!
January 24, 2013 at 5:09am     
dbellisario
to be honest before you invest in this construction, i think the first thing you need to do is remove all the bushes blocking your house. Get landscaping more in scale first before you add via construction. the bushes overwhelm the space and make it look out of scale.
January 24, 2013 at 5:26am   
Jean Tuck
I love the pergola idea for the new reno plans for old deck replacement . It offers shade seating and easy clean area to my home to replace old rotten unsafe deck.
January 24, 2013 at 5:27am   
joyfitz
Yes, the pergola would be peaked coming out from the house...how would you foresee 2 peaks Jayme?
January 24, 2013 at 5:31am   
joyfitz
I agree...once a pergola is in place those bushes along the house would need to go. Right now they keep the house from looking naked
January 24, 2013 at 5:33am   
Jayme H.
I think I thought there were two walkways..but I see there is one...that's good because 2 would be more complicated! Still thinking this can really be a nice addition to the home! Hope I didn't cause more confusion. I drew this thing out yest and my husband said my drawing skills suck..maybe I can get him to do it for me so I can post it.
January 24, 2013 at 5:50am