Courtyard makeover - ideas and suggestions NEEDED!!
Wow, you may say. And not in a good way.
We are giving our inner city terrace a much needed makeover! We have a builder in to do some interior renos which are in action at the moment but will affect the courtyard you see by:
1. Removing the glass brick window and re building that wall to include a timber frame double hung 2 light window 1200mm x 900mm.
2. The opening to the courtyard will be timber french doors.
3. The pergola is going to be replaced as it has some structural issues, but will be very similar. (You can't see very well from the photos as the space is pretty small and my photography skills are poor, sorry). The pergols covers about 1.3m of the courtyard from the door opening.
The courtyard is 2m x 4m. What we would like to do is dig up the pavers and raised garden bed and replace with large sandstone pavers, say 50cm x 50cm, and fill in the spacing with pebbles. We want to remove the lattice and greenery, but feel like the wall may be a bit bare without a covering of some sort. We love the idea of plants, but being a rental property we don't want anything high maintenance as the tenants might neglect them. I LOVE wall gardens but we have to be realistic about costs and upkeep.
We would like to give the walls a fresh coat of paint and are open to colour schemes. The interior is neutral white on whites with the stained timber doors and windows. We will have grey slate-like tile on the floor in the kitchen (the room that leads into the courtyard), white cabinets and white/black speckle caeserstone benchtops. We were trying to keep it as neutral and modern as possible hoping that our choices won't date in the very near future.
Ideally we want an area that will be great for entertaining. We envisage a gas BBQ along the back wall and a table with bench seats in the middle somewhere.
We've been nutting this out for a while now and have yet to come up with something we both agree on. And outsiders fresh take would do us the world of good, so I'm calling for help here Houzzers! Any ideas would be appreciated. So in short we are after:
1. Flooring ideas and options
2. Wall coverings - low maintenance plants, privacy screens, or whatever else can be suggested
3. Colour palatte for the walls