Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help decorating my mantel!!
abockhorst
January 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am struggling with how to decorate my mantel due to the center window. We recently added the navy cornice and drapes but definitely need more color and style. My color scheme is shown in the pillows. I also have plans to replace the black chairs with navy blue club chairs. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Scott's Creative Home
Fireplaces should have chimneys. The window not needed. Consider leaving the blind closed and adding a large piece of artwork to cover the window. Use a simple frame or a canvas wrap to minimize the weight of the piece.
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 5:27PM
lpiemonte
Pretty room! I love your navy and white/cream.
What is your view outside the windows, can you post a picture of them open?
Thanks!
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 5:29PM
parrotheadchic
I love your start to the room. I think that plates on the sides of the fireplace in solids colors from the pillows would be great. I also like the photo below for the height from the stand maybe an option for you. For blues check out House of Turquoise.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 6:05PM
abockhorst
Thanks for all your ideas!
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 5:53AM
groveraxle
A single LARGE piece of glass or ceramic--sculpture or platter--in your colors would look great.
Amanda Brisbane Frozen Water Sculpture
Overlapping Wall Platters
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 6:34AM
abockhorst
I love the overlapping wall platters!!
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 7:18AM
PRO
A Crew of Two
I would definitely add some earthiness to the room....there is a lot of white space. An area rug is called for near the sofa...take your cues from nature. Vary the shades of blue and green with natural, beachy wood tones. The window over the fireplace is a challenge. Upholstered chairs are needed to create coziness. I would choose a fabric with a natural fiber look to it. And then carry your throw pillows over.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 8:00AM
groveraxle
@abockhorst, I'm having trouble finding on houzz the exact piece I would put on your mantel, but my thought is you should take down the two blue vases and use a single stunning piece of glass art. Something like one of the glass plates shown in the groupings below:

Faith Sheridan
Portland Condo Dining Room
Formal Dining Room
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 9:19AM
PRO
Dytecture
I would introduce other colors to the room.

0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 9:21AM
abockhorst
groveraxle - thanks for all the research and pictures. You are the second person to suggest a glass sculpture. I think it would look beautiful.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 9:55AM
PRO
ShamikoDesign
Your space seems large. The patterns and colours you choose seems contemporary, modern n bold.. Almost neuvo Art Deco ... Decorating the mantle is the last thing you want to touch when the bigger things need to be solved.
It is either your carpet or your sofa that needs to go... Some contrast is needed here. The Color scheme from what u selected - dark blue, mustard, lime green, white. Add elephant grey, black, silver to complete the look.

Here goes a complete 180 change... Are you ready?
Paint the back end wall... Cool medium Brown, that will compliment the patterned panel.
Change the curtain panel blue instead of white. Matching fibre of course,
Sponge n distress your mantel - dark brown over the white .. And add matt silver leaf over it. That will give it some pizzas!
Please change the fabric of your sofa to some darker brown, dark grey or new furniture with modern lines.
Rearrange your furniture so that it is more cozy n around your fire place.
Now for the mantle...
Add white animal head to the mantle itself either 3 small ones... Depending on your proportions
Or a large moose head over the mantle.
Balance off with two vases of ostrich feathers and silver n brown branches. On each side of the head and .maybe add your favourite books or b/ w photos - enlarge of your family...in interesting neutral frames

There you go! One option of a complete look in loo of your fabric you chose!
Cheers!
Btw the moose head is from Z gallery! It's the latest in thing now! White head... U also can find cool accessories there.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 10:09AM
groveraxle
@abockhorst, until you find the perfect piece for your mantel, I would remove one of the vases, put a few branches in the other vase and move it to a point one-third or two-fifths of the way from one end of the mantel.
Bath
Potted Gold Twig Tree
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 10:36AM
Carrie
Since your piece would have to be "freestanding", I'd suggest a large, round shield on a stand for that space (similar to the one below). I like the items and colours you have and will be better with the larger scale chairs that you are getting.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 10:55AM
PRO
ShamikoDesign
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 5:55PM
candelaprewar
Agree with the first comment here--where's the chimney?--and it's the first thing that crossed my mind upon looking at the photo. Maybe block the window (at least on the interior) just above the mantel (NOT the one closest to the ceiling) and add a single large piece of art as suggested above.
0 Likes   June 3, 2014 at 1:17PM
decoenthusiaste
A FP with a window above is supposed to have a view, not the neighbor's house. I'd go crazy until I found a way to close up that square window over the mantel. Then you'll have a mantel that can be decorated, leaving the upper arch and side arches will allow plenty of light, so I'd go navy on the drapery panels and accessorize with the color from the pillows.
Fox Run 13
Anya Lane
An Expanse of Space
0 Likes   June 3, 2014 at 1:53PM
abbyjean
Hoping they come back after all this time to share an update.
0 Likes   June 3, 2014 at 1:59PM